Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2012, 14:00   #1

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Major Provisioning in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

We are in the Keys now, but will rent a car and go up to "the mainland" for some major provisioning (leaving the US and not coming back until ???!). What is THE BEST MEGA STORE in south Florida for groceries, etc.? Never have been a Costco or Sam's kind of a gal, but it seems that's what's called for, just now. Is there one store that's bigger, with better selection, than others? Does anyone know where to get FRESH dried beans, in bulk, in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or anywhere between Marathon and Port St. Lucie (we're going up there to visit family)? Thanks!
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 14:47   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: major provisioning in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

i wouldn't go to miami, maybe not even fort lauderdale. the place is a horrible zoo. cruiser friends of mine just left there and said they would never go near the place again.

just my opinion...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 15:07   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

If you are going to Port St. Lucie by car, you are going to have to drive through Miami, Ft. lauderdale and so forth, but like the previous post I would avoid it anytime close to rush hours, and stick to the interstates early in the morning, say before 6 am or after say 8 pm. Then I would look for a sams or cosco somewhere close to the interstate. If you are not a member, you should be able to get a temporary membership, just tell them you want to try it out before buying the membership. Go to the internet to check the locations that would work for you, but yes you can buy large quanitys of dried goods, or most anything you should need in bulk.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 17:03   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It's not that bad guys come on. Heck there's a BJ's just off Sterling road on I-95 in Hollywood were I live. I've got a card, if you want to stop by on the way up to visit your family to take a look see if it fits your needs just give me a shout and I'll meet or take you there. There's also plenty of large grocery stores along the way just off I-95 after you leave Miami in very safe areas. Ft. Lauderdale also has one of the best collections of Marine business in the world just behind Lesters.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 17:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
We loved our week in Miami Beach. There is a new Publix and new Fresh Market there. There is a costco in ft laud.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 18:32   #6

Boat: private yacht always moving

costco, sams club, whole foods, wild oats, publix. I shop at all as I am a chef working on the private yachts
publix should have anything you need. If you give me a date I might be able to take you into coscto or sams as I have a membership for both of them
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 19:02   #7

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

[QUOTE=onestepcsy37;936752]i wouldn't go to miami, maybe not even fort lauderdale. the place is a horrible zoo. cruiser friends of mine just left there and said they would never go near the place again.

That is just not true. I am in Miami now, have lived in Miami 20 years up until we started cruising, and that is just not true. Provisioning here is fabulous, we do it each year before heading to Bimini for the winter. Publix, Costco, Sams, Walmart, Publix, Fresh Market, Whole Oats, the works. As to fresh beans, this is Miami, the capital of Latin American groceries in the United States. Just my opinion, but do you think that your cruiser friends are a bit prejudiced against our large Latin American population?
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 20:39   #8

If your passing through Ft. Lauderdale, you should stop by and check out sailor man. It is the largest used and new Marine Emporium I have ever seen. I spent a couple of hours just browsing there last week. It is 350 east state road 84.
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 20:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i wouldn't go to miami, maybe not even fort lauderdale. the place is a horrible zoo. cruiser friends of mine just left there and said they would never go near the place again.

just my opinion...
I have my own opinion of these two cities, and it certainly won't be changed by your comment. But I am curious as to what exactly makes it a "horrible zoo", according to you and your cruiser friends.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 20:59   #10

I would definitely check out the Costco in Ft. Lauderdale.. Nice, big store with great prices, and great selection. This store has a very large wine section and there is a small section where liquor is available. The other store that's worth a visit is Publix, which IMO is about as pleasant a supermarket as you can find anywhere.. There are several in both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

And as previously mentioned, Ft. Lauderdale is a great place for buying marine supplies and services.
Old 22-04-2012, 21:12   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale have plenty of Costco, Sams, BJ's and big chain grocery stores. I don't think you will find a difference in prices. Miami has the best marine supply store but I'm biased. For dried beans in bulk, I think Whole Foods has them in big bins. You scoop what you need into a bag and weigh them. I know BJ's sells very large bags of rice and dried beans. I imagine that Sam's and Costco do as well.
Old 23-04-2012, 05:30   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

If it turns out you need to make multiple trips to the store, depending on how big a car you rent . . . you might want to find the southernmost warehouse store. There's a Costco in Kendall (SW Miami), and a BJ's in Homestead (even farther south).
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 05:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
If it turns out you need to make multiple trips to the store, depending on how big a car you rent . . . you might want to find the southernmost warehouse store. There's a Costco in Kendall (SW Miami), and a BJ's in Homestead (even farther south).
Also in Homestead/Florida City, there is a Walmart.
Old 23-04-2012, 06:31   #14

Boat: Seaward 22

I'm headed to Miami in a week for vacation and love it. It's just provisioning. Find the closest Sams, BJs or Costco and go. Yes, you might hit a traffic jam and be moving at 10mph, but that is really just cruising speed isn't it?
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 06:46   #15

I am a member of Sam's club. Can't vouch for Costco - it seems huge also.
I agree - visit the southernmost store on your way back to the Keys.
I just renewed my basic membership - $40. Perhaps you can get a day pass as others have suggested. Either way 40 bucks is worth it for one large shopping spree. I saved over $70 just filling the freezer with chicken.
There are many items from professional cleaning supplies and restaurant style supplies -also electronics, toys, clothes, books,etc etc...
this is the southernmost - which I use:

Sam's Club‎
8425 Northwest 13th Terrace
Miami, FL 33126
Plaza At Beacon Center‎

rent a large car!!

edit: if making a very large purchase - rent from U-Haul - small van would be cheaper than a regular rental car. and would be able to get everything you need in one trip...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort lauderdale, miami, provisioning