Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 16:48   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You can't get a decent Bacon sandwich anywhere outside the UK... and that's a fact... unless they've flown in the Bacon..
You only say that because you,ve never had mine. Cure and smoke my own old style bacon.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 16:48   #92

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Are there really good cheeseburgers in Paradise? I ask as I just came back from Cancun and the "American" cheeseburgers were, well they just sucked. The texture and taste was a lot different almost to the point of making your think "this isn't really beef is it". In my normal travels when I stop for lunch somewhere new and can not decide what to have I figure it is safe to just get a cheeseburger. I have found that for the most part it is pretty hard to mess up a cheeseburger, but I wonder if this doesn't translate to other countries.

I would think that a cheeseburger would vary mostly in the cheese from place to place, as beef is beef! But is it possible that the part of the steer that gets ground-up for hamburger (I understand it called minced beef in some places) is different resulting is a completely different patty for ones burger.

So I ask you world cruisers, are there good cheeseburgers out there? Or are cheeseburgers a very very regional taste depending on there you are?
Beef aint beef. Varieties of cattle exists all over the planet as do the food sources, even the minerals in the water they drink. The same goes for the lettuce, tomato, cheese and even the bread. Try buying, what you think is, "normal" bread and you will notice that flavors can vary from baker to baker let alone country to country.

I remember trying to get a decent steak in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. All the local cattle are Brahman. Tough cows that look somewhat emaciated even though there is plenty of grass for them to eat. The result is stringy and tough meat, with little fat for taste. On the other hand you could eat the imported Aussie beef for a considerable price and it was bloody brilliant.

I have eaten McDonalds in perhaps 15 countries. Heck , even they cant get the flavors to be the same. In the US they use USA potatos in Australia they use aussie spuds, in Uk ,,umm probably time for an Irish potato joke.

So, in other words, when you are travelling, you will find that basic foods will rarely taste the same as they do at home. Thats part of the journey.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:37   #93
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Umami Burger launches a burger where money is no object, or at least it should be | Fox News
Old 15-12-2013, 10:56   #94
cruiser

Boat: A good sailboat, 26 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to tg32879

Well, there are some fairly good cheeseburgers somewhere in the world. But I actually prefer to eat "world food" when "world cruising". Otherwise, I´d stay at home and watch sailing in TV.
tg32879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 21:13   #95

Cheeseburger in Paradise

I never ate burgers at home in the USA but I had a crazy craving for one when cruising Mexico. We were eating primarily fish or vegetarian Mexican dishes so it may have been an iron thing. We found a do-able Cheeseburger at the restaurant on top of the Puerto Escondido marina.

The first food we had when we got back was McDonald's small cheeseburgers & fries. I couldn't imagine eating one now though- and I am home again. Go figure!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 21:39   #96

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The best hambuger I ever had was from a water buffalo on Guam ! Guy had to shoot his buff cus it broke it's leg, so he thru a big BBQ, ground up the whole thing and served burgers till it ran out !! Super tasty!! Yummm
Old 19-03-2014, 19:14   #97

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

The Anthony Burger at Anthony's on Paradise island was pretty good. Also at Snappas in Marsh Harbour
Then again maybe i was really hungry
Old 20-03-2014, 04:18   #98

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
I swear I read the same thing in his book, A Pirate Looks at Fifty... I just spent 30 minutes googling for the answer but alas to no avail.
Pages 411 & 412 in my paperback copy. Just read this thread earlier this week and those pages in the book this morning. Funny how life works out.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 04:37   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You have to be joking... back in the 60's and 70's before the advent of the 'Big Brewery's' pickled eggs and pickled onions (shallots) were to be seen behind the bar in most pubs in the UK..
Now its crisps, salted nuts, frickin burgers, fries and club sandwiches that add to the fat content of the average customer.. hard to even find Pork Scratchings these days..
You need a visit to the South brother... The regular grocery store stocks at least 5+ varieties... Best are the mom and pop gas stations (filling or petrol to you)... They have Home Made stuff in bulk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
You only say that because you,ve never had mine. Cure and smoke my own old style bacon.
Good man! Smokin' season is upon us again... Time to fire her up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
The best hambuger I ever had was from a water buffalo on Guam ! Guy had to shoot his buff cus it broke it's leg, so he thru a big BBQ, ground up the whole thing and served burgers till it ran out !! Super tasty!! Yummm
I think this is about the 12 millionth time I've said... "I need to start hangin' with Bob and Connie!"

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 07:06   #100

Boat: Beneteau 41

I've had some pretty good cheese burgers in some rather odd places you wouldn't normally think to look. Pussers in the BVI has an excellent burger with or without cheese. There's a place in Charlotte Amalie, a green building a few blocks from the ferry that was exceptional. Can't remember the name but I can find it. Top of the Baths on Virgin Gorda and Little Dix as well. The Hole in the Wall on Roatan was one of my favorite places for conch burgers and they also did a mean cheese burger. A whole lot of places in Bangkok and Pattaya make darn good burgers. One of my biggest surprises was the cheese burgers at the Inya Lake hotel in Rangoon, Burma. I generally eat local wherever I'm at but every once in a while when I've been OOC too long I get a hankering for a big sloppy old fashioned hamburger. Doesn't do my cholesterol count any good at all. But yes Virginia, there is a cheeseburger in paradise.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
CapRon is offline   Reply With Quote