Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 19:39   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Any Coffee Drinkers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"starbuckks beans arent allthat great"
A dark roast is a dark roast. Starchucks? That's just burnt coffee. Gobs of cream and sugar turn it into some kinda coffee candy, but that's just still burnt coffee beneath it all.
When they brought out their "new" Pike's blend they said it was less roasted...still just tastedlike weaker burnt coffee to me. Which probably explains why they well so many fancy schmancy drinks, but not so much black coffee.

They'll give a free cup to anyone who comes in and says they voted on election day. And I'll still go down the block and buy my coffee from someone who doesn't burn the beans.
I roast my own beans. You get the most complex flavours between the first and the second crack. Coffee sort of pops like corn and it will have a lesser popping (the first crack) followed by a more vigorous one (the second crack). Just as the second crack starts you get the most complex flavour. However, lots of people like dark roasts which are, as you say, burnt.

I like it all but burning destroys the caffeine and I drink it for the oils, complexity of flavour and the buzz so I like a lighter roast. It only stays fresh a week from the time of roasting and hours from the time of grinding.

Still, any coffee is better then no coffee!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:53   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We use a Melita also, with a Bialetti for espresso. My spouse is the coffee addict (unless its espresso I prefer tea) and she won't drink coffe from a French press. She says the grounds get into the coffee.
Most coffee is ground too fine for a French press. Have it ground for you coarse. Our Zasenhaus hand grinder is adjustable. The electric high speed hammer mills (looks like a tiny food processor) makes a wide range of grounds size, mostly dust-like. We also find that if you stir the wet grounds, wait for the grounds to settle before pressing, you will have less crusty stuff in your cup. Another old camper trick is to crush your breakfast egg shells into the mix. It seems to help settle the grounds.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 20:49   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasAB
I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the Aero-Press. (Look it up on Amazon) Light weight, dead simple to use, all plastic construction and absolutely makes the best coffee around. I'm on my second one and use it at least twice every day for the past three years! All the other coffee makers were given away.
The aero press looks interesting. Does it work by a bit of suction? If so maybe it gets more out of the beans.

I also love Melita but use a drip coffee maker for ease (& stainless carafe- I'm afraid of breaking glass one & having No coffee ) but it doesn't compare to Melita. When sailing, I make it at anchor & put it in a thermos. Can't stand instant so I'd rather have old. Desperation meets addiction. LOL
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29   #199

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I use the Thermos brand french press.... a Thermos and french press all in one!
Old 08-05-2012, 18:46   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson
I use the Thermos brand french press.... a Thermos and french press all in one!

Wow. Never heard of it. I will do an online search. Sounds like the best of both worlds!
Old 08-05-2012, 18:56   #201

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Wow. Never heard of it. I will do an online search. Sounds like the best of both worlds!
Watch Amazon for the best price. We got ours for $10 off... it comes back often. (edit-the price listed now is about what we paid for it)

Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan 34-Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless-Steel Gourmet Coffee Press: Kitchen & Dining
Old 09-05-2012, 04:56   #202

Boat: Lock Crowthers, Buccaneer, B26
So if someone had a coffee roaster onboard and a supply of freshly roasted coffee for sale. What do you pay for a pound of coffee now including shipping and how much do you purchase at a time?
Also what is the region you like your coffee from like Kona Hawaii, Jamaican Blue Mt., Costa Rica, Africa, etc.?
Do you like dark, medium, or light roast? How do you grind your coffee?
Has anyone tried vacuum coffee brewers like Cory, Hario, Cona, Silex?
If you are getting grinds or mud in your French Pressed coffee you need to change to a more course grinder! To test if you have dust in your coffee grinds pour the grinds onto a white plate or bowl if you see dust and not granules about twice the size of your screen in the coffee press then adjust your grinder to as course as you can make it. This is a common problem and an easy fix. Grinders that are like blenders with blades in the bottom are NOT good coffee grinders and make a lot of dust and that makes bitter coffee and mud in the coffee presses. The old wood box hand grinders with metal parts do the best! Watch out for the wood grinders with plastic parts that do not last or grind very well.

Smooth Sailing
B26Trimaran
B26Trimaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 19:42   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson

Watch Amazon for the best price. We got ours for $10 off... it comes back often. (edit-the price listed now is about what we paid for it)

Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan 34-Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless-Steel Gourmet Coffee Press: Kitchen & Dining
Looks great. Great coffee and it solves my biggest fear- breaking he glass pot and being without coffee on a long trip. I treat it like a baby!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:03   #204

Boat: Tartan 30

I got one of these insulated mug presses from Amazon about 2 years ago. I love it because it makes a perfect 16oz cup of coffee. Not so great for having guests over though..

But the screen/filter wore itself out after the first 6 months. They don't sell them on Amazon anymore so I went directly to Liquid Solutions and bought a new one. Well, to my surprise, they changed the design and I hated it. So asked to return it for a refund. It took them more than a month to answer my emails (and they didn't provide a phone number) and when they finally answered, they said they only refund defective items... so a big fat NO, after weeks of no response. I tried explaining the situation, and complained about the lack of response, and was basically told to just deal with it... They offered me a $5 coupon for my next purchase I guess what I'm saying is don't ever buy one of these, even though it's the best FP I've ever used

I went to a thrift store and got another FP to use the screen for a replacement. That worked great and shows no sign of wearing out after 1.5 years of continual use. I still use it every day and absolutely love the insulated single serving design. I'll probably get one of those thermos's for larger servings in the future, but for now, I just use the one that I couldn't return (that I hate) for my guests coffee

Anyway, wouldn't buy anything other than insulated FP's from now on. Keeping the temperature as consistant as possible while brewing is a pretty important part to making the perfect cup
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07   #205

Boat: Tartan 30

PS: Don't drink the coffee directly from a mug type of press... it continues to brew and becomes bitter. Should only brew for about 3 minutes, then pour into your drinking mug.
Old 21-05-2012, 06:20   #206

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Making coffee or tea in heavy weather is not for fun. the chances of spilling hot water all over yourself is pretty high. French press minimizes the chances and her in Denmark I've found a company (Bodum) that makes french press cups. so put in some grounds add water and then you can press and drink from the cup.

I seem to remember reading a couple of years ago about an invention where the heating element was built into the bottom of the cup. fill with cold water and coffee grounds, plug it in and bingo coffee. you also drink out of this cup.

Don't remember the name though
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 07:00   #207
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in heavy weather i place my melitta pot into sink and pour nicely without receiving grounds into my brew--filtered coffee rocks.....i am here drinking my mocha my way while watching hurrycame letter B form off acapulco and threatening cabo corrientes, which is only a few miles south of us hee in la cruz...we thinking goooood thoughts and stocking up on tarpage for rain repulsion..formosas dont like fresh water any more than i like crunchy coffee.....mebbe i post hurrycame coffee when we get our slamming done. mebbe with more rum.....

nicaragua has excellent beans. friend used to be named coffee schooner in san diego after a trip there bringing back 5 tons of green beans in his bilges..
.i found vera cruz beans and chiapas beans together are a tasty mix, espresso roasted. mexico DOES have decent beans--
when i have to roast my beans more i use a designated sauce pan and roast em on stove top..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 07:08   #208

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Rum????

I thought you'd be hitting the old Taquila bottle down where you are - you havent quite made it to Rum Land yet!
Have fun with the weather - wish I was there - with a new mast!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 07:19   #209
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ye willbe--i dont drink, so mentioning rum or tequilye is a joke for me--i will drink a lil rum or tequila in my coffee on sunday if it is a clear and non threatening day--gott ahas me wits about me in weather..lol
mocha my way goes welll with sooo many tings..LOL
hurry and get here, geo--i have more room in my 100 ft slip for ye....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 19:42   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
.i found vera cruz beans and chiapas beans together are a tasty mix, espresso roasted. mexico DOES have decent beans--
when i have to roast my beans more i use a designated sauce pan and roast em on stove top..
Yeah, doing storms I don't seem to think of coffee per se- in fact, if you can have anything warm you are lucky.

I never really thought about roasting beans after I buy them. You can do that? Does it help the taste of he beans? How do you know how long to roast them? Would it be safer for me to do it in an oven (so I don't burn them). I got some coffee beans that didn't taste great- would roasting help? Couldn't hurt those beans!