Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 06:15   #46

Re: Any Coffee Drinkers?

This is awesome guys! So much good info! Now in a perfect world what would your perfect coffee maker do? Would you want a set and forget style, or do you prefer pumping the press yourselves? Still use stove heat or integrated heat?
dcdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:18   #47

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

About 5 years ago, bought a bargain bin, s.s. one cup gizmo from WalMart for about $1.50. It's a heavily built little unit. The coffee goes in the top, 1c. water in the screw-off bottom. Heats up on the stove, hisses like the dickens and makes great coffee. Don't know if these are available anymore but have tried a couple of other coffee perkers on the boat and always return to this cheapo because it makes better brew.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:29   #48

Boat: islandpacket

any one try this? looks great. Amazon.com: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining
Old 14-04-2011, 06:38   #49

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

You've got to use Peets whole beans, frozen, with a hand grinder, and a french press. Otherwise you are drinking mud.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:19   #50

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

This sounds good, but expensive ...The World Tour - Alex and Taru sailing around the world - Hallberg Rassy 352 - Caribbean: Espresso in the making
Old 14-04-2011, 07:20   #51

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Any coffee drinkers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viturina View Post
Hi there - I'd love to hear what kind of hand grinder you use. We're looking into that, and everything I've found so far is either big & bulky, or electric. We would be grinding both coffee beans, and flax seeds, so it needs to be able to do both. Thanks!
You can probably find something here: Kitchen*|*Coffee - Lehmans.com
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:36   #52

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

this works great. from MSR. just place in cup and pour hot water over. V. easy clean up! Use a large narrow cup to make 2. MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter at REI.com
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:10   #53

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

I love my morning coffee, but I'm pretty simple. I have a 4 cup Mr Coffee when I'm hooked up to shore power and a 6 cup perc when I'm out and make it on the stove. Folgers is just fine for me.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:46   #54

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Just wanted to point out that while working commercially, I've prevent my work boat from sailing until the company driver found and delivered 5# of coffee to the boat. The crew we just relieved had neglected to order some in the grocery order and we were out of the stuff. Took him two hours to find a store open, pay the convience store price and deliver the coffee to us. Then we sailed. Had to have my Coffee when on watch.
Did let my employer know that; No coffee on board, we don't move the boat... Needless to say when we got back into port there was another 20# of coffee waiting for us. I do believe that they want that boat working....
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:12   #55

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Just wanted to point out that while working commercially, I've prevent my work boat from sailing until the company driver found and delivered 5# of coffee to the boat. The crew we just relieved had neglected to order some in the grocery order and we were out of the stuff. Took him two hours to find a store open, pay the convience store price and deliver the coffee to us. Then we sailed. Had to have my Coffee when on watch.
Did let my employer know that; No coffee on board, we don't move the boat... Needless to say when we got back into port there was another 20# of coffee waiting for us. I do believe that they want that boat working....
Great story! Made me chuckle a bit.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:12   #56

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. A high pressure espresso would be very nice to have. I think one can run them via a dupy inverter. We use the same invention like at post #4, but it is not close enough to espresso. Still, second best in a boat I guess.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:31   #57

Boat: Allures 44

Badsanta,

Yes, the Aeropress is great. It makes good, strong espresso with only a few ounces of hot water from the stove or microwave, so it's energy efficient.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:33   #58

Boat: Other people's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Yep, I've got one, use it for camping.

It makes reasonable coffee but I find it tedious to clean. Again, it is not true espresso as the pressure isn't right.
Old 14-04-2011, 09:39   #59
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Himself is a bear with out his coffee.. and we have tried alot of ways of getting him his fix.

The small electric makers took up space in our really tiny galley and didn't keep the coffee hot. We burned out 2 of those before we moved onto an old school percolator, enamel stovetop variety.

Originally the novelty of it keep him amused, but soon the grounds got to be a bummer... and the little parts, the basket and pole, blew overboard one day so that was that.

In between there when the current system was busted he used a melita drip cone and a mug. Worked ok but he spilled it often, and making it one cup at a time didn't work. He drinks a LOT of coffee.

Finally he agreed to try a french press. We got a set from costco with a regular press

and one of these;

They are working really well. He especially likes the big travel mug. He brews a batch in there and replaces the press lid with the travel lid and it is pretty spill proof.

Way fewer grounds gummin up the galley and less coffee stains on the gelcoat...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 13:23   #60

Boat: Baba 35

Make this boatproof: coava coffee roasters — Chemex® - glass handle

Kone is sweeping the Barista championships atm.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote