Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 06:28   #211
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Any Coffee Drinkers ?

inn mazatlan i found coffee was roasted waaay to light--was difficult to find good dark roasted coffee, so i re-roasted what i could find---was a lot better when darker--now i find better roasts---more south in mexico there are darker and more flavorful roasts done.
seems the beans also have more flavor from more southern locales.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 19:21   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
inn mazatlan i found coffee was roasted waaay to light--was difficult to find good dark roasted coffee, so i re-roasted what i could find---was a lot better when darker--now i find better roasts---more south in mexico there are darker and more flavorful roasts done.
seems the beans also have more flavor from more southern locales.
Some-no-Most of the coffee in La Paz was pretty bad. Even the good brands. Wish I would have known I could roast it more.

How long and how high heat do you use? I can't wait to try it! Coffee is at the pinnacle of my nutrition pyramid! I can live without it but those around me wouldn't like it very much!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 06:52   #213
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i used a med low heat and it took about 30 mins to finish it off...takes a looong time to cool...there is bettwer coffee from south mexico and nicaragua....good luck--dont burn it--smells awful and wont taste good. you will know when that happens--so fr, i have been fortunate.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 07:08   #214

Thanks so much! I can't wait to try it.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 09:22   #215
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I roast my own beans. You get the most complex flavours between the first and the second crack. Coffee sort of pops like corn and it will have a lesser popping (the first crack) followed by a more vigorous one (the second crack). Just as the second crack starts you get the most complex flavour. However, lots of people like dark roasts which are, as you say, burnt.

I like it all but burning destroys the caffeine and I drink it for the oils, complexity of flavour and the buzz so I like a lighter roast. It only stays fresh a week from the time of roasting and hours from the time of grinding.

Still, any coffee is better then no coffee!
When your coffie is in the cup watch as it runs down the inside of the cup if it hits the bottom fast it tells the quality of the bean.the Blue Mt. stuff runs like syrup and they say it has less caffeine than other coffee..When i first started going to Europe the wall had just come down so I would plow east and look for anything interesting,i soon found out that most coffee they had was floor sweepings and so I made good progress by bringing good coffee to those left "out in the cold" ...two years later they were getting good stuff and my gift of coffee was not what it was before.now they want high end latest technology computer equitment,needless to say they dont get many gifts from me as, that would be against the export laws of the Good ole US of A...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 09:37   #216
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jamaica Blue Mountain is doubly expensive. First because it is expensive, second because something like 90% of it is actually counterfeit.

Years ago the folks at Zabars(?) were talking about this in an interview when they were the exclusive import agents in NYC. They said something like 5000# of JBM coffee were grown and exported during a whole year, but something like 50,000# of it were imported and sold in the eastern US in the same year.

Pretty good trick, huh?

As with any other drug, if you're not getting it right from the source, you've got to know your dealer. 90% of it, counterfeit. Might taste very good--but still not what you're paying for.

That's one reason I stick with the old A&P (now "Eight o'clock" brand) coffees in the US. Good beans, reasonable price. I buy other brands too, but that's the staple.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 11:16   #217
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jamaica Blue Mountain is doubly expensive. First because it is expensive, second because something like 90% of it is actually counterfeit.

Years ago the folks at Zabars(?) were talking about this in an interview when they were the exclusive import agents in NYC. They said something like 5000# of JBM coffee were grown and exported during a whole year, but something like 50,000# of it were imported and sold in the eastern US in the same year.

Pretty good trick, huh?

As with any other drug, if you're not getting it right from the source, you've got to know your dealer. 90% of it, counterfeit. Might taste very good--but still not what you're paying for.

That's one reason I stick with the old A&P (now "Eight o'clock" brand) coffees in the US. Good beans, reasonable price. I buy other brands too, but that's the staple.
I get mine at the top of Blue Mountian...even the coffee grown at the lower elevations of the region are not Blue Mountain "certified" coffee..And the little guy that sits under the porch and roasts and sales coffee when you get to the top of the MT. has coffee from the mavis banks area,although he's on top of Blue Mountain...I get mine from friends that work on the plantation,they get a weekly ration and I negotiate with their fellow workers to purchase their rations too.Its like a holiday for them when the "Buyer" comes to town,we have a big party(on my dime of course) and then a very religious hootananey with stomping,shouting,and soul moving praise...When your standing outside,a little lower on the mountain,and the sky is clear(rarley) and you can see every star and you hear those ladys singing and the fellowship among the people it makes a body want to stay in that moment for ever,its a sad day that the "Buyer" leaves town,at least it is for me...DVC..I remember 8 oclock and A&P before they went away from my hometown...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote