Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2022, 05:44   #46

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: An Apparently Stupid Way to Make Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But no one answered my question about how to properly use this vacuum pot contraption.
Didja click the link in post #18?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 06:44   #47

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
If you like espresso, there are several pretty inexpensive ways to make a good one at home.

My first bean-to-cup machine cost $2000; but the last one I bought cost only €270 or something, and it's brilliant, at least as good as the first one. The coffee from it is fabulous.

Even cheaper than that is Nespresso; some of those machines are under $100. It makes quite a decent espresso, if not quite as good as what a good bean to cup machine makes.
Two things bug me about Nespresso:
1) The cost per cup is ridiculous (compared with other home brew).
2). The packaging is a wasteful environmental abomination (same as Kurig k-cups in that regard).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 06:57   #48

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
My father, until the day he finally sold his boat a few years ago, would not make coffee on board with anything other than a stainless stovetop percolator. Ick! Boiled, burned coffee -- the worst possible way to make it.
The worst possible way is to put coffee and water together in a pot, bring it to a boil, then crack in an egg to catch the grinds.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 07:17   #49

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would prefer the original Italian version.. same principle but a lot more rugged..
I'm with oatie.
Old 30-11-2022, 09:15   #50

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
At least until you have to drink it....

And yes, growing up it was the standard method and I drank a lot of it...until we got a Mr. Coffee.
True, you'd probably be better off enjoying the smell and then pouring the coffee down the sink.
Old 30-11-2022, 10:51   #51

DH,

Firstly, depending on how much you want to control your outcome, I would acquire the following as shown in this photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Siphon Burner.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	268150

This includes a better burner (Butane. Search Amazon for Siphon Coffee Burner). A wooden spoon or flat paddle (think tongue depressor), a thermometer, and optionally a fine metal screen (you will see it already attached to the filter holder), and some paper filters with a hole in the center.

The purpose of the paper filter is to move the style of coffee away from a French press style - eliminating most or all of the fine sediment.

NERD ALERT!! The following is pretty detailed!!

Steps (my steps, yours may vary):
1. Have your filter attached as normal to the top chamber and have your coffee ground and ready. I preferred mine ground to a sand consistency, similar to what I would use for a pourover. You will find your level based on your coffee and preferences.

2. Heat your water close to boiling in a kettle. You can heat it up in the siphon brewer if you prefer, but you just waste the butane (and time).

3. Pour the water in the bottom bulb of the siphon and bring it to boil while inserting the top chamber, but NOT sealing it to the bulb YET.

4. Once boiling, seal the top chamber to the bulb so that the water starts to push up through the filter and into the upper chamber.

5. Adjust the burner so that it applies just enough heat to keep the water from backing down into the bulb. Note the temp of the water - you will be able to control water temp to some extent. I typically shoot for about 203F.

6. Quickly pour the coffee grounds into the water in the top chamber and quickly and gently tap the grounds so that they get wet - try to minimize the agitation.

7. The burner should be kept hot enough during this time to keep the brewing coffee in the top chamber and you should time how long you keep it up in the top chamber. I think I was removing the heat after around 80 seconds.

8. After your decided brew time, remove the heat, letting the brew start to pull back down through the filter and into the bulb at the bottom. At this point, when it is starting to drop, give the brew a gentle stir to get it slowly swirling. This will even out the drop through the grounds. You will know you were successful, because you should end up with a nice dome of coffee atop of the filter.

9. Pour into your cup(s) and enjoy. Adjust your parameters (grind size, water temp, and immersion time) as needed.
I use the paper filters in concert with the metal mesh because I don't enjoy French press style coffee, which has the sediment of fine coffee grounds affecting the flavor (to my taste buds).

When using the cloth filter, I found it added a wet cardboard taste to my coffee as well.

I don't know if this helps, but I hope it does. It's been a long time, and now I have to go and try this myself.

Cheers,

-BC
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 11:04   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I switched from a cheap Hario hand-grinder to a wonderfully engineered (but pricey) Comandante Grinder and the difference was incredible. Not only was grinding beans no longer an aerobic exercise, but the grind consistency is close to or better than some commercial electric models.

The aeropress is a bit of a hassle aboard, mainly because I like the "inverted" method which is unstable even on a kitchen counter on terra firma. But the Hario V60 goes into the sink and makes a great and fast brew. 400ml of coffee (24g of beans at medium fine grind) takes only about 3 minutes; not taking boiling the water into account. The Italian Mokka-pots take longer and use a lot more energy to heat.
I used to use inverted method. Now I put the plunger just into the top. That creates a vacuum that stops the water from coming out so it can brew for the 30 seconds I use, then I just slowly push down the plunger to expunge the coffee and finish. The benefits of the inverted method without the hassle.

I use a conical burr electric grinder, it's a Secura CBG-018. I had tried a cheap ceramic burr hand grinder, but felt like it took too long. I like to get my coffee into me ASAP in the morning.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 11:10   #53

Quote:

Actually I rarely see pour over in Europe. Usually, if you want a cup of coffee, they take an espresso and add extra hot water, so you don't have a good espresso or a good cup of coffee. The worst of both worlds.
That's what they call an Americano.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 11:18   #54

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Our set-up is sort of a compromise between perfection and quick and dirty.

We heat the water in a stainless tea-pot, then put the freshly ground beans in the paper filter and the Melita funnel which sits on the stainless coffee pot.

This gives us 6 cups of really good coffee and takes 5 minutes from start to finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coffe set up-20221130_130652[1].jpg
Views:	70
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	268161  
Old 01-12-2022, 01:43   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChicago View Post
DH,

Firstly, depending on how much you want to control your outcome, I would acquire the following as shown in this photo:

Attachment 268150

This includes a better burner (Butane. Search Amazon for Siphon Coffee Burner). A wooden spoon or flat paddle (think tongue depressor), a thermometer, and optionally a fine metal screen (you will see it already attached to the filter holder), and some paper filters with a hole in the center.

The purpose of the paper filter is to move the style of coffee away from a French press style - eliminating most or all of the fine sediment.

NERD ALERT!! The following is pretty detailed!!

Steps (my steps, yours may vary):
1. Have your filter attached as normal to the top chamber and have your coffee ground and ready. I preferred mine ground to a sand consistency, similar to what I would use for a pourover. You will find your level based on your coffee and preferences.

2. Heat your water close to boiling in a kettle. You can heat it up in the siphon brewer if you prefer, but you just waste the butane (and time).

3. Pour the water in the bottom bulb of the siphon and bring it to boil while inserting the top chamber, but NOT sealing it to the bulb YET.

4. Once boiling, seal the top chamber to the bulb so that the water starts to push up through the filter and into the upper chamber.

5. Adjust the burner so that it applies just enough heat to keep the water from backing down into the bulb. Note the temp of the water - you will be able to control water temp to some extent. I typically shoot for about 203F.

6. Quickly pour the coffee grounds into the water in the top chamber and quickly and gently tap the grounds so that they get wet - try to minimize the agitation.

7. The burner should be kept hot enough during this time to keep the brewing coffee in the top chamber and you should time how long you keep it up in the top chamber. I think I was removing the heat after around 80 seconds.

8. After your decided brew time, remove the heat, letting the brew start to pull back down through the filter and into the bulb at the bottom. At this point, when it is starting to drop, give the brew a gentle stir to get it slowly swirling. This will even out the drop through the grounds. You will know you were successful, because you should end up with a nice dome of coffee atop of the filter.

9. Pour into your cup(s) and enjoy. Adjust your parameters (grind size, water temp, and immersion time) as needed.
I use the paper filters in concert with the metal mesh because I don't enjoy French press style coffee, which has the sediment of fine coffee grounds affecting the flavor (to my taste buds).

When using the cloth filter, I found it added a wet cardboard taste to my coffee as well.

I don't know if this helps, but I hope it does. It's been a long time, and now I have to go and try this myself.

Cheers,

-BC

Fabulous information; thank you!!

I'll play with all those parameters.

Today, I had my biggest success so far with this contraption.

What I did was to use cold water instead of nearly boiling to start with. This increased the brewing time as the hot water comes up slowly, and by the time it had all migrated to the top kettle, that was enough brewing time.

Your method gives more control and I'll try it. But what I did today worked fine, and the coffee is really delicious.

I'm not convinced yet that there is anything to this method which makes it inherently superior to using a cheap drip coffeemaker. My preliminary conclusion is that this is primarily a toy. Which is fine -- I have indeed enjoyed playing with it, and the apparatus looks cool to boot. But I'll keep working with it and keep my mind open.

What's interesting is that all three pots of coffee I've made were absolutely delicious. I'm not sure why this would be more so than from a drip machine, from which I also get delicious coffee if the quantity of coffee is right (not too much), the grind is right, the beans are fresh and good. So maybe the fun of the process distorts my perception of the taste. Nevertheless -- I feel like i can actually taste the water itself, so pure and unobtrusive is the coffee taste without the slightest bitterness. Is this from the method? I don't know yet.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:51   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

We heat the water in a stainless tea-pot, then put the freshly ground beans in the paper filter and the Melita funnel which sits on the stainless coffee pot.

This gives us 6 cups of really good coffee and takes 5 minutes from start to finish.

That's classic pour-over which is kind of a reference method. For €10 you can get a cup of coffee made this way at your table in high end coffee shops in Europe.

I don't really know why any method would produce better coffee than this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:01   #57

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
That's what they call an Americano.

Or in Australia, a “long black” (with a double shot of espresso).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:11   #58

Quote:
But espresso and real coffee are completely different drinks. I completely agree with you that diluted espresso in imitation of regular coffee is an abortion (appropriately called "Americano" over here).

A broad discussion about coffee ensured from this thread -- always fun and interesting. But no one answered my question about how to properly use this vacuum pot contraption.
Funny, you will never find an "americano" in America. You do occasionally find percolator coffee but not to often anymore. Outside of coffee shops, it's all pour over coffee, though low end dinners may leave it sit in the pot for hours.

My suggestion is take the glass contraption to the shooting range and make a fun crashing noise when you hit it (if you have access to a steam roller, that could be fun too). Then pick up a Moka pot. They do work pretty well and are much more suitable for a boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:19   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

I'm sure the purists will be horrified but a rubber ban holding a doubled up paper towel over a cup with some coffee in it, then drizzle boiling water in works in a pinch.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:31   #60
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Funny, you will never find an "americano" in America. You do occasionally find percolator coffee but not to often anymore. Outside of coffee shops, it's all pour over coffee, though low end dinners may leave it sit in the pot for hours.

My suggestion is take the glass contraption to the shooting range and make a fun crashing noise when you hit it (if you have access to a steam roller, that could be fun too). Then pick up a Moka pot. They do work pretty well and are much more suitable for a boat.

Here in Greece ( most world gold medal baristas ) am Americano is common , drinking one as I type