Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2023, 13:37   #151

Re: An Apparently Stupid Way to Make Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am starting to roast at home. I presume the results will eventually be superior to buying already roasted beans, although I have yet to achieve the quality of what I get from the local roasters. I will not attempt this on board; too much faff and too much apparatus required.

One of the beauties of Nespresso (one of the several) is that the coffee is fresh roasted, immediately ground, and immediately packed into the capsules in nitrogen. The coffee doesn't go stale.

Home roasting is cheaper than buying from your small local artisanal coffee roaster, but it's still not dramatically cheaper than Nespresso. Over here good green beans are around €15-20/kg.

When you buy ground coffee or roasted beans, those are also packed in nitrogen and don't go stale, until they are opened. Which is why it's a good idea to keep opened coffee in the freezer, as you've now let the air in / nitrogen out.
Old 02-03-2023, 13:55   #152

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
When you buy ground coffee or roasted beans, those are also packed in nitrogen and don't go stale, until they are opened. Which is why it's a good idea to keep opened coffee in the freezer, as you've now let the air in / nitrogen out.

Condensation on the beans when you take them out of the freezer is an issue though. And even packaged in nitrogen the beans still off-gas and go stale, just a little slower.

So freezing a bag of beans you haven't opened yet is a good idea, but you should then thaw a container, bag, whatever for use and keep it thawed. Don't pull it in and out of the freezer each time you make coffee.

As far as freshness, regardless of packaging, freshly roasted beans will be at their best starting a couple days after roasting up to about 2 weeks after. Beyond that, they're starting to go stale (although they won't suddenly become terrible or anything). Most beans you find in a grocery store are way past their best before they ever hit the shelves, unfortunately. Ground coffee starts going stale within an hour, so there's no way to have truly fresh pre-ground coffee.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 14:26   #153

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

The pods I buy (from a small Australian company) are fully biodegradable.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 03:39   #154

Boat: Tartan 40

https://riseupcoffee.com/product-category/all/

Awesome local and growing Maryland company. They ship. I buy 5 lb bag of beans. Their house roast is superb. Others too. They roast fresh so you get great product.

And I use a cone filter with large filters on boat. Boil water, pour over fresh ground beans, into a glass lined insulated carafe.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 04:13   #155
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: An Apparently Stupid Way to Make Coffee

How many of you guys warm up your beans before grinding.. lovely smell when grinding, better consistency and faster flow.. and smooth.. just curious.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote