Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2022, 23:53   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: An Apparently Stupid Way to Make Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Some of the tastiest coffee I have ever drunk was made by boiling in a saucepan which had been buttered. Let the grounds settle and pour carefully.

Being from a country not ever having been deprived of tea by the excesses of a bunch of Boston vandals i drink both hot tea with milk and sugar and coffee, both of which I make in a french press, it uses far less tea leaf to make it that way and strains them all out (The use of tea bags to make tea is an abhorrent practice only indulged in by complete philistines)

Yes but it keeps thd grounds out of teeth
Old 30-11-2022, 01:29   #32

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Very old school and unfortunately I remember them!

Me too. This was the setup used by many/most cafes at least in Canada in the 1960's. They did make good coffee, much superior to a percolator. I used to run one on an electric hotplate in one of my part time jobs - I don't remember that boiling dry was an issue but there may have been a one way valve in the version that I was using.

For the boat we use a stainless French press unless we use a Bialetti or Aeropress for expresso.
Old 30-11-2022, 01:40   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
@boatman61 beat me to it. That's just a fancy percolator. Used to be one in every church function hall.

Percolator is nothing like a Moka pot. The only similarity is they both power the process with the gas expansion as the water boils.

Percolator: Heating element at the bottom of the tube, boils water at the tube entrance and the gas bubble goes up the tube pushing water ahead of it. The boiled water spills out of the tube into a sieve filled with coffee grounds and drains back down. The process repeats until you have something vaguely like coffee.

Moka: You put water in the bottom section, coffee (espresso grind preferably) in the middle. When heat is applied, the water boils creating pressure in the bottom section and forces the water up thru the coffee grounds and into the upper chamber (no syphon). The process creates pressure approximating an espresso machine. Because the coffee enters at the top of the upper chamber, it can't syphon back down.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 01:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Who uses pourovers these days it’s almost all expresso method nowadays
Outside of Europe they are very common and still considered a quality means of making coffee, though not the same as espresso.
Old 30-11-2022, 01:59   #35
Nearly an old salt

An Apparently Stupid Way to Make Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Outside of Europe they are very common and still considered a quality means of making coffee, though not the same as espresso.

Funny in Europe cafes still offer cheap pour over of course here you get “ Greek method coffee” but expresso is the premium method
Old 30-11-2022, 02:21   #36

Boat: Island Packet 40

From a culinary viewpoint there little that beats the smell of freshly ground coffee being percolating.
Old 30-11-2022, 03:10   #37

Quote:
Funny in Europe cafes still offer cheap pour over of course here you get “ Greek method coffee” but expresso is the premium method
Expresso is simply a different product. It's fine if you prefer one over the other. Depends on what I'm after.
- A quick pick me up, an espresso is great.
- Sitting around Sunday morning relaxing, I prefer a big cup of coffee.

Actually I rarely see pour over in Europe. Usually, if you want a cup of coffee, they take an espresso and add extra hot water, so you don't have a good espresso or a good cup of coffee. The worst of both worlds.
Old 30-11-2022, 03:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
From a culinary viewpoint there little that beats the smell of freshly ground coffee being percolating.
At least until you have to drink it....

And yes, growing up it was the standard method and I drank a lot of it...until we got a Mr. Coffee.
Old 30-11-2022, 04:54   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
At least until you have to drink it....

And yes, growing up it was the standard method and I drank a lot of it...until we got a Mr. Coffee.

My father, until the day he finally sold his boat a few years ago, would not make coffee on board with anything other than a stainless stovetop percolator. Ick! Boiled, burned coffee -- the worst possible way to make it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 04:58   #40

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:

Espresso based drinks are generally the more "premium" (read: expensive) option in coffee shops here too. That's partly because they're different, and people tend to go for them as they're less equipped to make them at home. I'll often order a cappuccino at a coffee shop as I refuse to go down the rabbit hole of expensive equipment to make good espresso at home. Coffee shops here also offer an "Americano", as described with espresso + hot water to make a cup of coffee. It's different than other brewing methods for sure.

In any of its forms, espresso is different, but not necessarily better or worse. It's mostly down to preference. Greek and Turkish coffee is a whole different ball game from other methods as well (and a bit of an acquired taste).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 05:03   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Expresso is simply a different product. It's fine if you prefer one over the other. Depends on what I'm after.
- A quick pick me up, an espresso is great.
- Sitting around Sunday morning relaxing, I prefer a big cup of coffee.

Actually I rarely see pour over in Europe. Usually, if you want a cup of coffee, they take an espresso and add extra hot water, so you don't have a good espresso or a good cup of coffee. The worst of both worlds.

I love espresso, and for that I have a Nespresso on board, and one or another bean-to-cup machine in my different land homes.

But espresso and real coffee are completely different drinks. I completely agree with you that diluted espresso in imitation of regular coffee is an abortion (appropriately called "Americano" over here).

A broad discussion about coffee ensured from this thread -- always fun and interesting. But no one answered my question about how to properly use this vacuum pot contraption.

I have made another pot just now. I reduced the wick on the alcohol burner to prolong the siphoning process.

It worked better. But the brewing time is still pretty short. This is of course a big advantage of the French press -- you have completely control over that.

The coffee is delicious. But very light -- I guess because of the very short brewing time. I will keep experimenting -- maybe even less flame next time, or maybe more coffee.

This device is very awkward to use -- I would hate to try to do this at sea. It's particularly awkward to separate the top part from the bottom part full of hot coffee.

As of this point I'm not seeing any big advantage in this method compared to a French press or pour-over, and a lot of disadvantages. The one possible point of it which I can see so far is that it is very cool and entertaining to watch working. Maybe that's the point. But I'll keep trying before making a final judgement.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 30-11-2022, 05:06   #42
Nearly an old salt

expresso with added hot water is the correct way
Old 30-11-2022, 05:13   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Greek coffee is more or less the same as Turkish coffee, which I happen to love. I have a turkish coffee pot ("Ibrik" in Turkey or "Brika" in Greece; in Eastern Europe they call it a "Turka"). But to do this right you need the special grinder to make the extremely fine powdered coffee you need. I cheat with a box full of little packets of that powder I brought back from my last trip to Turkey last year.

I think Turkish coffee is even more delicious if you make it with sugar as is traditionally done, but I don't take any sugar with any drink, so that's not on for me.

On board sometimes we make "cowboy coffee" which is normal grounds brewed in the cup and strained with your teeth. This is surprisingly delicious.

I have on board also an Aeropress. I used it for some time, but I don't like it. It's a lot of trouble compared to a French Press, without any advantages. I don't use it anymore and need to remember to give it away to someone.
Walt Whitman
Old 30-11-2022, 05:16   #44

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

There are countless ways to brew good coffee, but the best improvement I’ve found isn’t in the brewing method, it’s in the drinking container: Using a vacuum-insulated mug with a lid keeps it hot for hours, so I can occasionally sip a mug while reading or helming and it stays at the optimal temperature, for hours.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 05:18   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Espresso based drinks are generally the more "premium" (read: expensive) option in coffee shops here too. That's partly because they're different, and people tend to go for them as they're less equipped to make them at home. I'll often order a cappuccino at a coffee shop as I refuse to go down the rabbit hole of expensive equipment to make good espresso at home. . ..

If you like espresso, there are several pretty inexpensive ways to make a good one at home.

My first bean-to-cup machine cost $2000; but the last one I bought cost only €270 or something, and it's brilliant, at least as good as the first one. The coffee from it is fabulous.

Even cheaper than that is Nespresso; some of those machines are under $100. It makes quite a decent espresso, if not quite as good as what a good bean to cup machine makes.
Walt Whitman