Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 03:11   #31

Boat: Beneteau 50
Re: Whats it take to de-mast

Yes, its an interesting concept to study.
The Rigging Doctor on YouTube is worth a look: https://youtu.be/6yZxdqx_rQE
This video discusses pros and cons of deck stepped and keel stepped masts and what happens if they break.
In my experience, he was right - the mast snapped at the first spreader, which is the only spreader on that boat - keel stepped racing boat. So the broken bit was well above us all, and in the event that we had been far from shore, we would have had quite a tall bit of mast left on which to jury rig something.
No damage to the deck, and it was far easier to secure the main sail to the boom and remains of the mast for the journey back in.
Also interesting is that the broken off mast section just wouldn't come all the way down. The halyards and conduit/electronic cables etc all combined to hold it up - albeit dangling and waving around.
Thanks to billve for sharing his tale. I know of another owner who had the mast come down under relatively benign conditions. She probably didn't check her nuts either.
But when I get my boat next year, you can rest assured I will. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:05   #32

Re: Whats it take to de-mast

I believe Sayula II rolled during the run through the Southern Ocean to Australia when she won the first Whitbread without losing either mast.
AndieKay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast