Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 18:01   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Squall strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
In an "ordinary" squall offshore in the tropics a common tactic is to get the shampoo out and hope it keeps raining long enough for a good rinse.
Amen. A squall, by definition, is localized. FORGET THE HOLLYWOOD VERSION!

Squalls can be your friends. Offshore racers often head into them to get the maximum lift possible. Some cruisers use them as a moment to replenish water and/or to clean off the salt.

My squall strategy is threefold: (1) reef down or at least dowse the spinnaker; (2) make sure that the boat is ready for lightning, which means the handheld GPS and VHF is in the microwave (which acts as our Faraday cage); (3) grab the Dr. Bronners.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:23   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
IMO, what you need to do is find a like-minded crew, and go out there when it's blowing 20, and practice the things you've read about. For example, at the instigation of the skipper, we went out on stormy winter weekends to practice, and learn stuff like the answer to the question, "why won't she heave to under the storm jib?" [because the sheet lead was in the wrong place]

The simple fact is that while reading about it is likely to allow you to visualize the tactics, actually doing them and experiencing them in conjunction with your vessel is what you will learn from.

Ann

I guess that is true, but I would urge people to read, and to think about what the authors say.

I actually used what I had read in SAILING FOR DUMMIES when caught in wind and seas too strong for my little boat. It wasn't as bad as a storm, but *that* experience will undoubtedly help me some time when things are worse. Hopefully I can gradually build on those experiences and not suddenly find my tender boat dealing with 80k gusts. But you never know.

I absolutely agree with going out when the wind is "only" at 20. Put a reef in and discover just how much it helps. Then practice putting in reefs. While you'll have help at first, make sure you can do it yoursef, because there's always the chance that when that first blast hits, the person with you will sprain an ankle or something, and you'll have to be able to do it yoursef.

Unfortunately one of the realities about rough weather is that you aren't guaranteed that nothing will break and that all crew will function well for the duration of the storm.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 19:06   #18

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran

Funny I reluctantly dropped a post I was going to put out on this thread recommending to seek out some squalls provided you live in an area that regularly has them. I thought some people may have an issue with recommending you head out into them as there is a risk of harm and or damage. Since I'm not alone in the mindset I'll add the conditions my post had which is to make sure your rigging, and boat in general, is in great shape because it's going to get pounded on. Then make sure you leave a float plan with someone that you can check in with who won't hesitate to contact emergency personnel if you don't return. Make sure you batten down the hatches just in case and be dressed to be wet. If you want to know what response you should give to a "white squall" (an unexpected hit from excessive winds like a squall) leave your sails full until the wind lays you down. With the boat laying on her side because you are totally over powered either head down or head up to manage your sails. Again, down wind and using the main to blanket your jib will allow you to furl it and it won't be so hectic as it would heading up. Heading up you can bring down both sails on that tack but if you have too much pressure on the jib it might not furl or might damage the furler or furling line using a winch. Then you might end up having to go up on deck to bring the sail down. Very hazardous in those conditions and with a jib battering you as you head up. I'm just following my reasoning for choosing to head down if hit out of the blue.

If you reduce sail before the squall hits you really are practicing on how to handle squalls/storms. If you wanted to handle this particular kind of squall you have to wait until you get hit as if it were unexpected. If you want to really be prepared have someone create an imaginary lee shore on the map/gpsmap that you are not allowed to pass and position yourself in front of the line when the squall hits. Again, you might have problems with the jib and the net result may cause damage. But you'll be much better prepared for the real thing if you can practice the techniques.

As mentioned having someone with experience in this area and have them let you manage the boat while they stand by to make sure a bad decision isn't made is priceless. And if your boat isn't up to the challenge there's always charter... JUST KIDDING! I could hear the cussing already...
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 19:18   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBrown View Post
Funny I reluctantly dropped a post I was going to put out on this thread recommending to seek out some squalls provided you live in an area that regularly has them. I thought some people may have an issue with recommending you head out into them as there is a risk of harm and or damage. Since I'm not alone in the mindset I'll add the conditions my post had which is to make sure your rigging, and boat in general, is in great shape because it's going to get pounded on. Then make sure you leave a float plan with someone that you can check in with who won't hesitate to contact emergency personnel if you don't return. Make sure you batten down the hatches just in case and be dressed to be wet. If you want to know what response you should give to a "white squall" (an unexpected hit from excessive winds like a squall) leave your sails full until the wind lays you down. With the boat laying on her side because you are totally over powered either head down or head up to manage your sails. Again, down wind and using the main to blanket your jib will allow you to furl it and it won't be so hectic as it would heading up. Heading up you can bring down both sails on that tack but if you have too much pressure on the jib it might not furl or might damage the furler or furling line using a winch. Then you might end up having to go up on deck to bring the sail down. Very hazardous in those conditions and with a jib battering you as you head up. I'm just following my reasoning for choosing to head down if hit out of the blue.

If you reduce sail before the squall hits you really are practicing on how to handle squalls/storms. If you wanted to handle this particular kind of squall you have to wait until you get hit as if it were unexpected. If you want to really be prepared have someone create an imaginary lee shore on the map/gpsmap that you are not allowed to pass and position yourself in front of the line when the squall hits. Again, you might have problems with the jib and the net result may cause damage. But you'll be much better prepared for the real thing if you can practice the techniques.

As mentioned having someone with experience in this area and have them let you manage the boat while they stand by to make sure a bad decision isn't made is priceless. And if your boat isn't up to the challenge there's always charter... JUST KIDDING! I could hear the cussing already...

If you pay attention to the weather you can do this with low likelihood of getting caught in a really rough storm.

I would also recommend going out in gradually higher and higher seas if you can -- and assuming your boat is up to it.

But I would urge you to read everything you can get your hands on, even if you don't understand it all. People can tell you important things like getting into deep enough water that the bottom doesn't make the sea more rough and confused than it needs to be under the circumstances.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 20:03   #20

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Squall strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Amen. A squall, by definition, is localized. FORGET THE HOLLYWOOD VERSION!

Squalls can be your friends. Offshore racers often head into them to get the maximum lift possible. Some cruisers use them as a moment to replenish water and/or to clean off the salt.

My squall strategy is threefold: (1) reef down or at least dowse the spinnaker; (2) make sure that the boat is ready for lightning, which means the handheld GPS and VHF is in the microwave (which acts as our Faraday cage); (3) grab the Dr. Bronners.

Once, after a squally shower, and desperate for new reading matter, I read the entire label on the Dr. Bronners container. It was either that or Chapman's. Come on!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 20:14   #21

40 knots? On a beat I probably would have hove to a few knots ago. Down wind I'd be getting a little punchy because running too fast and losing control is easy. If you decide to turn it around or gybe it can become a real fiasco. Slowly trim in, heave to once it steadies above 40 knots.

If it keeps building it's time to dust off 400' of three strand and toss the para anchor overboard. Hoping I never have to do that, knock on teak.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 22:05   #22

Boat: Joubert Koala 24

As an ex-submariner, I can tell you that at about 40m there is hardly any movement, even during a squall. Probably not your first option though.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 22:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm0 View Post
As an ex-submariner, I can tell you that at about 40m there is hardly any movement, even during a squall. Probably not your first option though.
What boat were you on?

I was on the USS Toledo, SSN 769.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 23:41   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

The only way to learn heavy weather sailing is to practice it. We go out in Gale force on occasion to try out different strategies.

Peter Bruce's "Heavy Weather Sailing" is a classic text. SEveral of the threads on this site deal exclusively with heavy weather and are well worth reading. So are Evans Starzingers opinions (bethandevans.com), He recently published one article on this site.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 00:06   #25
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:

(4) a bucket under the gooseneck - another days drinking water
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02   #26

Boat: Privilege 37

It is not many decades ago that a blue water cruiser would head towards a squall on the chance of getting fresh water.

The new CW radar are nowhere near as useful in detecting squalls, as they are designed to be able to look through them, but on a small boat, actualling tracking the squalls may well be a desireable strategy.

Reading heavy weather sailing is a useful task in its own right, but it is difficult to work out a strategy for your specific boat without getting out in the weather and trying it yourself.
Old 01-07-2013, 16:42   #27

Boat: contessa 32

Snore ;No need not be confused it must be me,I didn't realize that you can do 20 kts downwind on your Tartan sled of 33 feet and that you consider this a viable option for other cruising mom and pop cruisers to deal with a "significant blow".

Bash is of course correct that a squall is more local but that hardly qualifies as "significant" in terms of duration or sea state.

O.K. I'll admit it : I'm in a snarky mood... didn't mean to spoil your fun....Sorry.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 17:03   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post

O.K. I'll admit it : I'm in a snarky mood... didn't mean to spoil your fun....Sorry.

No worries, grew up in the Bronx and have thick skin.

Cheers
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 17:52   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Once, after a squally shower, and desperate for new reading matter, I read the entire label on the Dr. Bronners container. It was either that or Chapman's. Come on!
The Doctor changed the label recently, upgrading to fair trade/organic rhetoric. Bottom line is that you're going to have to read the whole thing over now.
Old 01-07-2013, 18:10   #30

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
The Doctor changed the label recently, upgrading to fair trade/organic rhetoric. Bottom line is that you're going to have to read the whole thing over now.

Ha! Maybe I'll just read the bottom line.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote