Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 14:29   #121

Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

What about ROTFL
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 14:53   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rolling On The Floor, Laughing.

Here's a list: Internet Acronyms Dictionary
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:23   #123

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Don't let the naysayers discourage you man! Everything starts with a dream. I'm sure that you didn't need to be told to learn as much as you can.

I stopped listening to the soul suckers because I have a similar plan and would be quite discouraged if I allowed them to get in my head. Keep dreaming, planning, and studying. You CAN do it!

I had never been on a boat before the day I happened upon a blog about people cruising around the world on a sailboat. After a week of reading and studying, I realized that I too could do this. One year later I (Last fall) I bought my boat, this spring moved aboard full time, next year Bahamas, the year after that I'm going around.

Do I have a clue? Not really, but I'm collecting clues and when I get enough of em, I'm leaving. Don't listen to the ones who enjoy soul sucking under the guise of constructive criticism. I'll wave to ya as we cross each other on our circumnavigation. Eric

Am I the only one offended by "soul suckers?"

Gosh, that seems harsh to be said to a sensitive, pleasant group of folks on this forum who have actually been sailing beyond the sea buoy. This is the same Virginia Boy who told the WHOLE WORLD recently that Ft Meyers Beach women are easy if ya own a sailboat. I say he cannot be trusted and now this? WTF?

BACK IN MY DAY James Dean made Rebel Without A Cause. This has been often modified to Rebel Without a Clue, which I suspect fits here as well. Last time I looked it was free to say something like: I'm looking for money to help me sail around the world nonstop by myself; not that ANYONE ON THE PLANET GIVES A ****; but send money. No, I haven't been on a boat before but I read about it. Or yes I know how to sail and have a boat but still need money.

I have no prob with the plans and dreams but before the Internet we kept our dreams to ourselves. Now everyone says what they're fing going to do without a shred of preparation, or a class or two, and the forum is to just listen, and say, what? OOOOH AHHHH?

Nah.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:50   #124
TEE

My best advice is don't try it. I just finished a stint as shore support for an around the world race. You appear to be ill-prepared and underfunded. The Vendee Globe is an around the world, nonstop race with professional racers, state of the art boats, and millions in sponsorships. A lot of those guys don't make it. Unless you really have the money, the experience, the knowledge to prepare a boat that is bulletproof, superior weather routing skills and state of the art weather forecasting equipment on the boat, and are able to plan the route, and the schedule properly, to put it bluntly, you are more likely to get yourself killed than complete the trip. I don't mean this in a mean spirited way at all, but I don't think from your note you know enough to even know just how dangerous what you are talking about doing really is. At least in the professional races, the boats have other fleet boats somewhere around to pick them up when they sink. You, doing this on your own may be several days from seeing aid if you get in trouble. Maybe to far away to get any help at all.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:51   #125

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Yea, I find the "soul sucker" comment offensive but its the internet.

Actually, the way I look at it is if Mr. RTW record breaker is that easily offended then he's not going anywhere. I've known one guy who did the Around Alone Race so my experience may be limited, but those guys are so focused and motivated that they could care less about what anyone on the internet says about them. They are internally motivated and you couldn't suck out their soul 1,000 gpm pump.

They are also usually pretty good sailors.
Old 08-07-2011, 17:05   #126
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
My best advice is don't try it. I just finished a stint as shore support for an around the world race. You appear to be ill-prepared and underfunded. The Vendee Globe is an around the world, nonstop race with professional racers, state of the art boats, and millions in sponsorships. A lot of those guys don't make it. Unless you really have the money, the experience, the knowledge to prepare a boat that is bulletproof, superior weather routing skills and state of the art weather forecasting equipment on the boat, and are able to plan the route, and the schedule properly, to put it bluntly, you are more likely to get yourself killed than complete the trip. I don't mean this in a mean spirited way at all, but I don't think from your note you know enough to even know just how dangerous what you are talking about doing really is. At least in the professional races, the boats have other fleet boats somewhere around to pick them up when they sink. You, doing this on your own may be several days from seeing aid if you get in trouble. Maybe to far away to get any help at all.
Come now this is a bit much. Robin, Bernard, Chiles, and others are proof it can be done. Maybe not in 90 days, but it can.

I think the soul suckers is a funny comment. When most advice was to help, and make the man aware of what he is facing. His first post seemed quite naive, but a dream is a dream.

I am sure there were those who laughed at the thought of a man on the moon. I don't think the poster deserved some of the childish kidding. Then again it is the internet, and that alone is cause to thicken your skin.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:15   #127
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

can be done, yes.
rebel without a clew is good for htis forum, in many cases , is it not

soul suckers sounds like what it could well be... good description of some. only some. not necessarily only online......

and dont bag on formosas so much-- they do a whole 8+kts under reefed jib n reefed mizzen in 60 kts of breezes........ so what it takes ~ 20 kts to make em move a lil----so what if no one is out there with us??
is FUUUNNNN out there in a formosa--they actually sail nicely.

not to mention the interior comfort, headroom and space.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:34   #128

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I don't think the Vendee Globe is a good example. Those guys are pushing the hell out of their boats.

Personally I see no point to a non-stop circumnavigation. For me the beauty of cruising is to see all kinds of cool places, and to stop for awhile to enjoy them. But if you are a good mechanic, electrician, sailmaker, cook, navigator and seaman, and if you have a good weather router, you can probably do it if you take your time. Don't overstress the boat until something breaks.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:35   #129

I have at least one more bitch this eve. Acronyms: they save time, and I like them but they are vastly overused. People use lol as punctuation. Are you really laughing out loud at things you say that often?

Why?
Old 08-07-2011, 17:37   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Don't let the naysayers discourage you man! Everything starts with a dream. I'm sure that you didn't need to be told to learn as much as you can.

I stopped listening to the soul suckers because I have a similar plan and would be quite discouraged if I allowed them to get in my head. Keep dreaming, planning, and studying. You CAN do it!

I had never been on a boat before the day I happened upon a blog about people cruising around the world on a sailboat. After a week of reading and studying, I realized that I too could do this. One year later I (Last fall) I bought my boat, this spring moved aboard full time, next year Bahamas, the year after that I'm going around.

Do I have a clue? Not really, but I'm collecting clues and when I get enough of em, I'm leaving. Don't listen to the ones who enjoy soul sucking under the guise of constructive criticism. I'll wave to ya as we cross each other on our circumnavigation. Eric

Dear virginia boy,

I dont think any guys around here are soul sickers, maybe some are naysayers but all that is based on their experience and also on tjeir huge knoewledge which im lacking quite a bit of. Thamk you for ur concern, but I am no quitter an nobody can change my mind or discoutage me. had I been this way I wouldnt jave been here to begin with.
I guess everybody is trying to hepl . I posted w/o mentioning anything about my experience and forhow long have I been sailing.

I will definitely wave at u in case we crossed routes, and in case I did it before u do, get in touch wirh me and I will support you.
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:42   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
My best advice is don't try it. I just finished a stint as shore support for an around the world race. [etc. -- you're going to die -- etc.]
Look, there's a huge difference between a hyper-competitive race around the world, and a fellow trying to make it around on his own terms. The racers push their boats, and themselves to the limit, and sometimes beyond. Their goal is to win. This is a significantly different proposition than the OP's apparent plan, which won't be a walk in the park, but shouldn't be compared to all-out racing.

No. I've not sailed around the world, but I have both cruised and raced many thousands of miles in the Pacific, and the strain on the boat and crew is much, much, harder when racing.

You may recall that I gave the OP some pretty frank advice (about his routing questions), but I don't think we should be overstating the case here.

[edit: Acronym Alert! OP = Original Poster (Richard Z)]
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:51   #132
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

roflmfao...... thought i would give ye another one to ponder-----
richard ye will do good....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 18:09   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Personally I see no point to a non-stop circumnavigation. For me the beauty of cruising is to see all kinds of cool places, and to stop for awhile to enjoy them.

Hello?

How can a SNC make any sense at all? Ya gotta prep the boat. That can take years.Ask me how I know. Good thing you have a decent job paying offshore rig money. You'll need it. You have a green card right?

Then, another close-to-a-year for the trip thru the windiest, coldest places on this planet to tell a barroom of flies that you did it? ... cuz that's what's awaiting. And none will care. And they'll remember so you can't keep telling it to your advantage.

A young guy with a good job and a nice boat. Why not romance ALL the women in Bayou Le Batre, [there are only 4 over 14], then move on to the next spot?

I get you're a patriot. Good on ya. But what about getting that "record" is important enough to spend a year of your life uncomfortably?

Hey Unicorn: what's the story about rounding the Horn? This might be a good time to share.

Others? I'm shutting up and buying rounds.Who's ready?

$10 on Tunisia. I like the sound of it.
Old 08-07-2011, 18:15   #134

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Don't compare it to the Vende or any other races! Those guys sail in the southern ocean on a race! Cruisers don't do that! And a solo non-stop round the world can be done without the risk taken on by the racers.
Do it! Maybe we will meet up one day going round and round the world.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 18:18   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation

Now see, it's all in the perspective. I thought he'd mispelled sole and "soul suckers" were in fact a group of foot fetishists.

Meanwhile lets keep it civilized folks and I will take a drink since you're buying!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation