Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 13:03   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Singlehanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have found that sometimes it's better to back up from down wind or current and approach and catch them over the stern so that you can stay at the con whilst doing so. Of course the rain will blow into the companionway and you will brand yourself as a non conformist, but just ignore the curmudgeonly commentators.
yes!
(just close the companionway)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 13:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Stu, it would really help those who are unfamiliar with bull rails to see a video. I was wondering if you use rolling hitches?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Try this

I saved it to learn the Douglas hitch. I don't use it because the line doesn't first go from the boat and under the rail, which is necessary to disentangle when you're on the boat preparing to leave UNLESS you do so with the midships line and get off the boat to undo the bow & stern brests.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 14:40   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Try this

I saved it to learn the Douglas hitch. I don't use it because the line doesn't first go from the boat and under the rail, which is necessary to disentangle when you're on the boat preparing to leave UNLESS you do so with the midships line and get off the boat to undo the bow & stern brests.
Thank you very much, that's a cool solution to the problem.

Ann
Old 24-06-2019, 16:17   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Try this

Ok I got it. Thanks, Stu.

I would have used an outlaw hitch, known also as saloon hitch, bankrobber hitch, rustler hitch, carpetbagger hitch, and many other derogatory names.

If you leave a long bitter end and lead it back to the boat, it works good for last line, where letting go a bight might let the bitter end jam between boards or board and piling. We sometimes see rings in lieu of cleats down here, and it is ideal for making fast to a ring. Works on a piling, too. Not secure enough for a high storm surge though.
Old 24-06-2019, 17:23   #20

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleathem View Post
I’ve owned a Cooper 416 pilothouse cutter for about 18 months now. I live on-board, but had very little experience sailing her. Unfortunately my buddies who I would normally sail with have other distractions, so I’m faced with the prospect of singlehanding “Molly Rose” if I wish to get away from the dock. I have sailed for many years, but this boat is definitely a step up for me. I’m looking for any words of wisdom from experienced singlehanded res, especially in regards to docking, picking up a buoy, anchoring etc. by oneself. Any specific pieces of advice? I’m really longing to get off the dock, but a little freaked out.
Looking forward to hearing your experiences.
I also have a 416. Great live-a-boards...great all round boats IMHO. I also do a lot of single-handing...and because the cockpit is relatively small for a boat this size...it makes it very easy and comfortable to single hand.

WRT picking up a buoy/anchor ball...forget it single-handed...especially if there is any sort of wind or current. It is possible...I've done it one time...it was difficult and painful. It must have been hilarious to watch. (Don't be that guy!) Anchoring is WAY easier.

You should have a prop walk to port...learn to use it to your advantage. When docking it helps to go bow in port side tie. Bow in/port tie allows you to creep in then use reverse to stop the boat and snug it right to the dock (as long is there no wind pushing you off)...then you can virtually step off and set your dock lines. Everything takes practice.

Remember...everything slow and deliberate.
Old 24-06-2019, 18:11   #21

Boat: Cooper 416

All excellent advice. Like anything, I’m sure it’s practice, practice etc. etc.
Thanks for the input, great to hear from other like-minded sailors.
dleathem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 13:56   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

As mentioned previously, first thing is get the free book on singlehanding here: https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/resources/

For docking:

-For your home dock, tie your fenders and the dock lines permanently to the dock. Just leave them in in place on the dock all the time.

-These permanent dock lines should have loops tied in the end so that you can just slip them around the cleat on your boat. No need to wrap and worry about length, they are already the right length.

-Set up one line on the dock that you can reach over and grab and cleat (on your boat) as you pass by, and this one line will stop your boat in place before you hit anything else. I do this all the time, and passer's by are always amazed that by grabbing this one line, my bow stops just 2 inches away from bumping the dock ahead of me. Then I just step calmly off the boat and put a loop around the bow cleat. I've done this process over 1,000 times now and only once have I missed.

-For any other dock, remember that your boat is pretty well indestructible, so don't worry so much about bumping into a dock or anything else at low speeds. If the dock is wooden, you can even tie up to it before you start to worry about your fenders. I once broke a wooden 4x4 at the dock but didn't even dent the gelcoat at the bow of my boat.
-If you are at all worried about the situation, just ask a passer by for a bit of a hand. Other sailors are always willing to help a singlehander. If you look a little pitiful, you can even get a dinner out of it.

Have fun and don't worry. Just go sailing.

Tags
single, singlehanding