Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2021, 05:36   #1
Registered User
 
LittleWing77's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,666
Knot Funny

While reading Oriental, North Carolina's charming local paper, Town Dock https://towndock.net/ this morning, I came across Captain John's recent knot column:

Knot Funny
https://towndock.net/captains-blog/knot-funny

It got me think on the Top 5 Useful Knots.

He suggests:
1. Cleat Hitch
2. Figure-8 Stopper knot
3. Round Turn & 2 Half-Hitches
4. Bowline
5. Rolling Hitch
6. Reefing Knot
7. Clove Hitch*
*Read article for how his "Top 5" became 7.

As for me, I use a corkscrew rather than a Figure8 stopper (because it actually holds!)

I would also bump Reef Knot up to #5, knocking Rolling Hitch to #6 with Clove Hitch remaining at #7...

Have you got five?
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:06   #2
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,486
Re: Knot Funny

Fun... thinking about it, I tend to use about a 1/2-dozen or so on board. My prioritized list would go:

#1. Bowline
#2. Round Turn & 2 Half-Hitches
#3. Anchor/buntline hitch
#4. Rolling hitch
#5. Figure-8
#6. Sheet bend
#7. Reef knot
#8. Cleat hitch (although this is barely worthy of mention)
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:09   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Beaufort, NC
Boat: Nauticat 43
Posts: 250
Re: Knot Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
#8. Cleat hitch (although this is barely worthy of mention)
The Coast Guard has a recommended cleat hitch which provides good friction and is easy to do and undo even when a dock line is under tension.

We were in St Petersburg at a marina with fixed docks. A fresh east wind was blowing (which was a very rough condition) and the tide was almost at low tide. I checked my lines and then walked down the dock and saw a powerboat with all lines taut. The cleat hitches he had done were twisted on each end and he had done this multiple times. Because there was tension on every line, it was impossible to undo any cleat hitch. In that condition, he was performing deck cleat stress testing. I requested the dockmaster notify the owner.
__________________
"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else." Yogi Berra
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:15   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,028
Re: Knot Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
The Coast Guard has a recommended cleat hitch which provides good friction and is easy to do and undo even when a dock line is under tension.

We were in St Petersburg at a marina with fixed docks. A fresh east wind was blowing (which was a very rough condition) and the tide was almost at low tide. I checked my lines and then walked down the dock and saw a powerboat with all lines taut. The cleat hitches he had done were twisted on each end and he had done this multiple times. Because there was tension on every line, it was impossible to undo any cleat hitch. In that condition, he was performing deck cleat stress testing. I requested the dockmaster notify the owner.
That only occurs if tied incorrectly (backwards). If you run the bitter end around the cleat, it can't lock that way. What you describe can only occur if you cleat tie the working end of the line.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:31   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,244
Re: Knot Funny

Just walking along the dock, it becomes very obvious that the cleat hitch, that all boaters should know, yet do not, is up there in importance. Frankly, the cleat hitch is number one for most/many boaters since the cleat hitch is being used more than than any other hitch or knot. So many boats never leave the dock...

And even the boats that do leave the dock, what they do to attach a dock line to a cleat, well, I don't know what you call that mass of line, maybe a Gordian knot?

I would add Alpine Butterfly to the list.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:07   #6
Registered User
 
danstanford's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Boat: J/88
Posts: 205
Re: Knot Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
While reading Oriental, North Carolina's charming local paper, Town Dock https://towndock.net/ this morning, I came across Captain John's recent knot column:

Knot Funny
https://towndock.net/captains-blog/knot-funny

It got me think on the Top 5 Useful Knots.

He suggests:
1. Cleat Hitch
2. Figure-8 Stopper knot
3. Round Turn & 2 Half-Hitches
4. Bowline
5. Rolling Hitch
6. Reefing Knot
7. Clove Hitch*
*Read article for how his "Top 5" became 7.

As for me, I use a corkscrew rather than a Figure8 stopper (because it actually holds!)

I would also bump Reef Knot up to #5, knocking Rolling Hitch to #6 with Clove Hitch remaining at #7...

Have you got five?
LittleWing77
Wow, you are way past me, although I often end up using knots without thinking about them purely out of habit.

In order of use:

Cleat hitch
Figure 8 Stopper knot for spin sheet and halyard tails
Rolling hitch for fenders
Bowline
round turn and 2 half hitches
half hitches after something else

In order of time invested:

Time spent undoing halyard hitches after a season! ;o))

Fun to read, thanks.
__________________
Never attribute to malice what can be explained away by stupidity.
danstanford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:19   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,813
Re: Knot Funny

Sorry, I just could knot resist.

I am a fan of the balanced knot or the Ian knot [or the Ian Secured Knot] tying my shoes, reference link: https://tokay-ultimate.com/fr/bienve...re-tes-lacets/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frayed knot.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	236149  
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:55   #8
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,486
Re: Knot Funny

I don't doubt a cleat hitch is important. And even though it is one of the easiest knots to tie, and is obvious when done wrong, it's still low on my priority list.

Firstly, because it is so damn easy. But also because I don't spend a lot of time tied to a dock.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:11   #9
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 10,319
Images: 53
Re: Knot Funny

I'm with Dan, throw in the Alpine Butterfly.

I'm often using a taut line hitch and a trucker's hitch sometimes too for lashing stuff down.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:20   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,244
Re: Knot Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I'm with Dan, throw in the Alpine Butterfly.

I'm often using a taut line hitch and a trucker's hitch sometimes too for lashing stuff down.
Yes, the truckers hitch is really good too.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:43   #11
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 2,126
Images: 1
Re: Knot Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Fun... thinking about it, I tend to use about a 1/2-dozen or so on board. My prioritized list would go:

#1. Bowline
#2. Round Turn & 2 Half-Hitches
#3. Anchor/buntline hitch
#4. Rolling hitch
#5. Figure-8
#6. Sheet bend
#7. Reef knot
#8. Cleat hitch (although this is barely worthy of mention)

You call yerself Canadian?


__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
.
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:18   #12
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Bestevaer 49
Posts: 14,820
Re: Knot Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

Have you got five?
LittleWing77
1. Zeppelin Bend
2. Zeppelin Bend
3. Zeppelin Bend
4. Zeppelin Bend
5. Few other inconsequential knots

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad-128727.html
__________________
SWL (enthusiastic amateur )
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:21   #13
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boat - Bahamas - Me - Michigan
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 3,420
Re: Knot Funny

1. Bowline
2. Clove Hitch
3. Cleat Hitch
4. Figure-8
5. Rolling Hitch
6. Prussic
7. Lottso

I don't think I tie any other knots then these. No need really as the #7 knot covers so many of my odd applications.
__________________
Our course is set for an uncharted sea
Dante
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:27   #14
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 10,319
Images: 53
Re: Knot Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
1. Zeppelin Bend
2. Zeppelin Bend
3. Zeppelin Bend
4. Zeppelin Bend
5. Few other inconsequential knots

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad-128727.html
Doh! Of course, how'd I leave that one out? Though I don't think I am as fast on that one as the sheet bend in the dark, at least not yet anyway.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:50   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Orefield, PA
Boat: Catalina 25
Posts: 254
Re: Knot Funny

Do you have trouble with your double-slipped reef knots? Do your kids?
Do your shoe laces loosen as you walk around? If so, you may be tying a double-slipped granny knot accidentally.
To check: after you ties your shoes, pull on the two horizontal standing ends that go from the knot to the first grommets. If the bunny ears stay oriented left-right, you have a good knot. If they turn vertically (toes to ankle), then it is a granny knot.
Despite years of tying incorrectly, you can retrain yourself by reversing the very first over-under step. Then do the rest as usual.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fun, funny, knot

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FUNNY SIGNAGE GordMay Off Topic Forum 15 20-12-2018 10:09
Funny Cleats! ssullivan Seamanship & Boat Handling 44 19-08-2009 09:43
funny smart sight unbusted67 Liveaboard's Forum 0 22-02-2007 14:44
Funny boating vids Alan Wheeler Off Topic Forum 1 17-12-2006 05:44
A funny. :) ssullivan General Sailing Forum 1 06-01-2006 16:26

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.