Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2012, 01:05   #1

Boat: Van deStadt 34
Re: Jib Downhaul & Stowage ?

Andrew,
Thanks, a comprehensive reply and I mostly agree. I'll give some thought to how I can adopt the "draw cord" approach to setting my staysail.

I've added comments in { }.

Andrew G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about what I would call a storm staysail?
{yep, hanked on to a temporary inner forestay - I currently leave it hanked on but in a bag on deck - and hence have to go up to the bow when I'd rather not. I have sailed Melb. to Lizard Island and Melb. to Geraldton via Darwin all single handed plus more with others over the last 60 years}
(I think of a storm jib as setting on the headstay, ie the one which attaches to the stemhead)

Yes, provided it's done carefully (both the installation and the prep)

I'd be a little less sanguine about a true storm jib situation where it's likely to see a lot more green water - although even there it should survive OK as long as you're not sailing too long with it on deck. {I tend to only rig it when I suspect I may need it but then can get caught out and having to rely on a heavily rolled jib rather than a properly setting staysail}

I haven't got experience of using this setup with storm canvas, but would expect it to work well, because heavy Dacron hinges in a more repeatable way than lighter stuff.
{at this stage I'm more worried about raising it so I will be determining the folds - if only it will stay there for a day or so until needed}

As for what some people dislike about roller jibs, here's my own list of grievances (many of which apply with rather more force when sailing short or singlehanded) {as I do}

a) Changing sails offshore is difficult and potentially dangerous (unless you install slugs rather than a boltrope). If you don't change sails, you get quite compromised windward ability in strong winds {agree - I have sailed on my No 2 jib for ages but could change up if I wasn't so lazy - tend to turn on the engine in light airs}
b) Problems with inability to roll or unroll are a showstopper. (almost -- in theory you can use the time-honoured "Sailing in circles" as a get-out-of-gaol manoeuvre, but good luck with that in a true storm) {agree! I have come close but never succumbed - I'm now adept at dismantling it whilst dipping the bow at night}
c) The loads from a roller headfoil to the stay are applied more locally, and inertial loads (because of the weight of the headfoil) are higher, which can lead to stay breakage, usually near the terminals. {OK on Brut as everything is over-sized and by now well tested}
d) Extra weight and windage in the worst possible place for both. (Forward and up high). Even at anchor, this is not always desirable; when trying to make headway in heavy air and steep seas, it can be quite a penalty. {agree - have motor-sailed for days making 2 knts in Indian Ocean swells}
e) For reliability on long arduous passages, it pays to oversize the gear. This makes c) and d) more problematic {agree}
f) It's a more sophisticated system, and as such the installation / design needs to be done with lots of care, experience and attention to detail if it is to be reliable for the long haul.If not, there are several (avoidable) potential problem areas with things like halyard wraps, rigging screws loosening undetected, etc etc. {but once designed out and tested cease to be a problem??}
g) On many boats it's not possible to furl without using a winch. This makes it hard to tell when something is wrong. {agree - I never use a winch}
h) Ultra violet degradation to the sail, for boats which lie idle for long periods. Protection is expensive, not very durable, and not particularly helpful to performance. {every 5 or so years I have my UV strip checked/replaced}
i) The butt joints in the extrusion are crucial. Twisting loads are applied from one end only, and pass through every joint. If adjacent sections develop significant free play, the boltrope and/or tape will quickly become damaged to the point where the sail can only be lowered with the aid of a bosun's chair and a knife. {agree}
j) The swivel bearings are a bit of a worry, especially when off the beaten track for years at a time. Some expedition yachts are going to a simpler headfoil where the halyard returns down the same extrusion, eliminating the need for loaded swivels top and bottom. With modern high strength, low stretch lines in small diameters this makes a lot of sense to me. {agree}

Having said all these things, my next boat will have a roller foil on the headstay (but not the inner forestay) {makes sense}. The advantages are considerable, and many of the disadvantages can be addressed {agree to both}. I'll almost certainly opt for the simplified version. And will certainly fit slugs, not boltropes {I'm not sure about the slugs??}. That way, I can always revert to a fixed, twin groove headfoil if all else fails. {Brut has a twin grove foil - its just that they both rotate when you pull the line}
{Thanks Andrew - as I said a comprehensive response and I'm going to look at a "draw cord" for my staysail, Cheers, Andrew G}
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib