Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2022, 18:21   #91

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Re: Hurricane Ian - I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
My insurance requires a hurricane plan, and pays haul out cost to move to safety.

When I lived in Texas, I moved my boat to an inland waterway, and tied behind high rise condos.

Now in Florida, and most recently ian, I moved to the everglades a week before the storm arrived.

The previous year, I moved my boat to a Ft Myers shipyard, and left it tied down on the hard. That wouldn't have worked for Ian as it made a direct hit on FT Myers, and the shipyards were destroyed.

Two years ago I left it tied to a floating dock in a bay. Waves pounded it into the dock, and I got some "dock rash", that required a couple thousand in fiberglass, and gel coat to repair.

A friend's boat was hauled out at Ft Myer during Ian "for safety", and was a complete loss.

SO you prepare, and hope for the best, moving has to be done early because the Gulf gets ugly fast.

Where was he hauled? Personally it seems like the safest bet is tied up in the mangroves somewhere, followed by on a mooring.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 18:37   #92

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I just went through Fort Meyers on the river. I don’t think it matters where he was hauled. There are still big boats up on the streets. In the towns squares and on the lawn and stuff. It’s a wreck. they are still hauling boats out with tractor-trailer trucks over to your side of Florida. And they are hauling cars as well. With headlights filled with brown water splashing around in them. All the boats were destroyed over there. Just about all of them. As I went through I was wondering why it was so quiet. I had been through there many times before and it was always really busy. There weren’t any boats out I had it all to myself. And then I realized it’s because they were no boats left over there.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 07:31   #93

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I just went through Fort Meyers on the river. I don’t think it matters where he was hauled. There are still big boats up on the streets. In the towns squares and on the lawn and stuff. It’s a wreck. they are still hauling boats out with tractor-trailer trucks over to your side of Florida. And they are hauling cars as well. With headlights filled with brown water splashing around in them. All the boats were destroyed over there. Just about all of them. As I went through I was wondering why it was so quiet. I had been through there many times before and it was always really busy. There weren’t any boats out I had it all to myself. And then I realized it’s because they were no boats left over there.
Wild, insurance is going to be a disaster in this state. Pretty soon cruising wont be an option for the little guy.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 07:50   #94

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Wild, insurance is going to be a disaster in this state. Pretty soon cruising won't be an option for the little guy.
This is like saying, "With increasing traffic pretty soon playing ball in the street won't be an option". DUH!

Maybe what won't be an option will be cruising or leaving a boat in a hurricane zone during hurricane season and expecting insurance to make you whole when the worst case occurs. If "the little guy" is priced out maybe that is a recognition that he is looking for something for nothing: Fun when the times are good but not recognizing or being prepared for the potential consequences. Try staying out of those zones.

As for the cost of clearing the roads and properties of boats that went ashore, stricter enforcement of insurance requirements or posting of bonds to keep boats there seems to be in order. Too many people have such little financial interest in their boat that they just don't care what happens to it and the burden of cleaning up the mess is then passed on to other people.

Bottom line: Owning a boat comes with some responsibilities. If owning up to them is inconvenient or expensive, then maybe you should reconsider that ownership. A carefree attitude should come with consequences.
Old 29-12-2022, 23:51   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, Carver 44-50', Silverton 453 (looking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
My insurance requires a hurricane plan, and pays haul out cost to move to safety.

When I lived in Texas, I moved my boat to an inland waterway, and tied behind high rise condos.

Now in Florida, and most recently ian, I moved to the everglades a week before the storm arrived.

The previous year, I moved my boat to a Ft Myers shipyard, and left it tied down on the hard. That wouldn't have worked for Ian as it made a direct hit on FT Myers, and the shipyards were destroyed.

Two years ago I left it tied to a floating dock in a bay. Waves pounded it into the dock, and I got some "dock rash", that required a couple thousand in fiberglass, and gel coat to repair.

A friend's boat was hauled out at Ft Myer during Ian "for safety", and was a complete loss.

SO you prepare, and hope for the best, moving has to be done early because the Gulf gets ugly fast.

Well said, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 23:55   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, Carver 44-50', Silverton 453 (looking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Where was he hauled? Personally it seems like the safest bet is tied up in the mangroves somewhere, followed by on a mooring.

Heard of a guy who stayed on his boat I think anchored during Ian and only lost the sail cause he didn’t take it off. While he is filming a good size yacht powers on by like a boss. Both boats survived.
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane