Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 10:06   #31

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Re: Boats made in 1970's and 80'

I was a wooden boat builder, occasionaly building FB boats in the mid sixties, really was a do it yourself era even for those of us in the boat building business. Glass work was by todays standards less than perfect and extremely over built. My 73 Pearsons hull is 2-3 times thicker than anything built today. There are pros and cons on early building of FG boats, personally I like my hull built heavy.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:59   #32

Boat: Looking...
Thumbs up Re: Boats made in 1970's and 80'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The question is meaningless. Superb boats were made in both decades, as were some terrible ones.

My suggestion would be a Bristol 35.5. The build quality is excellent, the fibreglass layup the best in the business (try finding one with blisters!), and it's a fine design with great sea manners. Made from late 70s to late 80s.

I have the smaller version, the 31.1, which shares the same qualities, but I do think the extra 4 ft really improves the interior space.
I had a Bristol 35.5c. What a great boat! Fast, strong, made with pride. Beautiful finish work. I have regretted selling that boat many times.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:22   #33

I ran across a boat the other day that has been around the world twice and is still going strong and a second owner of the same kind of boat had been across the Atlantic three times They were built from mid seventies to mid eighties. I myself am looking to buy one its the Ontario 32 Sail-boat reviews calls it a cruising sail boat with a lively step. The boats of the era in question are simpler and therefore a good surveyor should be able to find any demons that exist
My two cents
jackj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:27   #34

The Ontario 32 is a nice old boat designed by C&C. I don't think it was ever designed as an offshore boat but several of them have crossed oceans and are well laid out for their size.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 13:37   #35

Boat: Shannon 38

I purchased a 1978 Shannon 38 in a yard in Long Island NY and, after some work there and a bit more in Newport Ri before heading to Bermuda and then home to St Croix VI. there has been unexpected work done at each stop and there is more to do, all having to do with systems choices and maintenance lapses by previous owners but the boat itself is remarkable. She was solid and forgiving through adverse winds and waves in the Gulfstream and an absolutely secure platform even for a lightly experience bluewater sailor like myself.

My advice: Buy the very best platform from the very best builder you can get your hands on and be willing to put in the time and hard work worthy of her initial build.
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 14:24   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Noise View Post
I purchased a 1978 Shannon 38 in a yard in Long Island NY and, after some work there and a bit more in Newport Ri before heading to Bermuda and then home to St Croix VI. there has been unexpected work done at each stop and there is more to do, all having to do with systems choices and maintenance lapses by previous owners but the boat itself is remarkable. She was solid and forgiving through adverse winds and waves in the Gulfstream and an absolutely secure platform even for a lightly experience bluewater sailor like myself.

My advice: Buy the very best platform from the very best builder you can get your hands on and be willing to put in the time and hard work worthy of her initial build.
In a nutshell, an excellent bit of advice. It is a good deal to be able to trust your boat on a dark and stormy night.

Ann
Old 02-07-2015, 14:41   #37
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Boats from the 70's, unless totally redone, will be dated and worn out
we had a 1978 oday 23 sailboat and we thought it was totally dated and worn out when we sold it in 1988. funny thing is i see these ancient boats still being sold today for about the same price as they were 28 years ago. but mostly the 30 and 40 year old boats i see today just seem old and tired no matter how much money you throw at them.
Old 02-07-2015, 15:38   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
we had a 1978 oday 23 sailboat and we thought it was totally dated and worn out when we sold it in 1988. funny thing is i see these ancient boats still being sold today for about the same price as they were 28 years ago. but mostly the 30 and 40 year old boats i see today just seem old and tired no matter how much money you throw at them.
Wrong again. The old boats are fine and much stronger than the newer ones. I've been through this drill with catamarans.

The newer boats point better and are faster, but are not as strong as the older ones.

My 1974 Bristol 27 is a perfect blue water cruiser for a singlehanded sailor. And at $2,000, if you decide you don't want to sail a lot, no problem.

I'm learning how to be a cruising kinda guy on this boat...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01660.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	104553  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 15:42   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I bought a 1974 Bristol 27 for $2,000 to learn about monohulls after racing beach cats for 15 years. It had sat on the hard for 5 years.

I thought I'd own the boat for a couple years and then move to a newer, larger, boat but this Bristol is such a strong, good sailing old boat that I still haven't bought another one.

I've sailed it in winds around 35 knots and it handled it quite well. I did buy a new main, and an outboard. I added solar and an inverter to charge my laptop and to run some fans etc.

Last winter I did the bottom again and also painted the topside hull. The boat is also in John Vigors Book 20 Small Sailboats to take you anywhere. I'd guess I may have $8,000 in the boat including bottom jobs etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Small-S.../dp/0939837323

Beautiful, beautiful boat you have there!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum M. Gray Pacific Seacraft 31
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 15:52   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Noise View Post

Very good approach.

There are really two things in an old boat:

Hull & standing rigging

Systems

A stout hull from decades ago will be just fine. A good wax job can do wonders, ala Maine Sail's technique.

Then you deal with the systems: engine, plumbing (water heater, hoses, head, faucets) and electrical. Even a basic electrical system from 30 years ago isn't much different than what is being offered today: batteries, wire, switches, panels and breakers. Step-by-step.

We have found that water heaters last anywhere from 10-15 years. On my boat the heater is (barely) accessible, but it can be done, 'cuz I did it! The PO put a new one in at 12 years when I bought it, and 16 years later i just replaced it and all the plumbing hoses (29 years old).

I've been upgrading the electrical system since we bought the boat in 1998. New charger, new alternator, battery monitor.

You learn to be a mechanic, plumber and electrician.

And you learn DIY once you've seen the prices idiots charge for sloppy work that you have to learn to fix yourself anyway!

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 16:00   #41

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiedaisey View Post
Beautiful, beautiful boat you have there!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum M. Gray Pacific Seacraft 31
Thanks. I actually lucked out with this boat. The old salt that owned it before me has saved my ass and the boat tons of times even though he passed away before I bought it!

The anchors are well attached to chain and rode. The boat had 5 anchors and when I bought it, I'm like what the Flock!

Now I know after many nights anchored 70 yards or so from several lee shores in 25 plus knots learning this cruising kinda guy stuff.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 16:19   #42

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Sedna HUll #277 was Swedish built in 1974. My surveyor said they overbuilt them in the 70s and early 80s because the builders were unsure how strong fiberglass would be. He went on that 90s boats were often under-built with too much flex due to attempts at weight reduction. I can say Sedna is quite stout. One bad thing about a boat her age, is her narrow of beam and she's bit tender initially... still I love the bulletproof hull and the real Honduran Mahogany and Teak. If you buy any used boat, it is ideal if the PO has complete records and attempted to "do it right."
Old 03-07-2015, 05:10   #43

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

I am a fan of the older boats not just because of their strength (which you can find in newer boats) but because you can outfit it there way you want. The critical challenges that drives some of the comments on the difficulties and cost of refit id's the condition of they hull/deck, engine, rigging, and wiring.

The key is your survey. Rarely can one surveyor be truly expert in all three areas. Spend the money on four expert contractors one for each subject. Assign one to be the "surveyor" or hire a surveyor to supervise. The cost is a fraction of a what you will spend if you don't.

Then budget of for refitting the rest including seacocks, instruments, running rigging, and plumbing.

Ask the contractors to give you their list of what needs to be accomplished to bring it to bristol condition.

See too many short change the survey only to later spend a large sum of money and have a very frustrating experience.

Good luck

PS. Don't have expert friends do the work they are influenced by you. Don't fall in love with the vessel until you have the survey.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pbbmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:31   #44

Boat: Tartan 40

Another great boat from that era is a Tartan 37. Have sailed on a couple and great overall seakeeping qualities. My T40 honestly looks like she is 4 years old rather than 28 because of how well she was kept up, but also because her "bones" were quality made and designed.
I favor buying a boat from a company that specializes in excellent build quality rather than mass production. The little details just hold up better. Bristols, Tartans, pacific seacraft are just a few I think were very nicely made back in 70-80s. There was crap built then just like now. I won't comment on today's brands that are crap vs built with attention to detail that makes them last- because it inflames so many people. But things like iron keels, liners, poor quality rudders, cheaply finished interiors that will wear poorly- all kind of turn me off. Problem is, profit margins, labor costs for skilled labor, and other factors make the same quality build as my boat very expensive today in new boats.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:11   #45

Well we are having a survey inspection on Monday for a 1980 Morgan Pilothouse 33' for $29,000. I know it might sound high to some but she's clean well cared for and a beautyClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1435929102.970601.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	104568

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote