Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2014, 21:38   #211
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Hi , im here, lol, yes i say that about the structure in the bene 50, we refit a bene 50 3 years ago from the keel to the top of the mast, almost everything, this one is the chárter versión, 4 cabins , 4 showers toilets etc... we made 3 new holes in the bottom hull to install new trough hulls , the thicknes its ridiculous thin, thats why he sport a masive grid liner or pan liner glued to the hull, the bene 50 have only 2 full partial bulkheads, one in the front and one at the end dividing the steering system from the aft cabins, the rest are partial bulkheads resting in the liner at the bottom and glassed in the sides, plus a big partition bulkhead in the front of the mast step separating both fwd cabins, if i remember someone ask in a previous topic about removing this partition to make a single cabin , Gluppp!!!!

Anyway, the liner is glued with plexus, a pink color stuff kind of structural adesive used for multitude of builders with no problems at all if they are used for the right aplication, in the bene the wáter tanks are integral Fg glased to the liner under the cabin sole, well saying that ,,,, the boat flex,
....... how?? well flat sections of hull without support from the liner abound, we have a hard time to locate a rigid hard spot for the jackstands in the boatyard, mostly because the liner its hollow inside , and there is not bulkheads resting at the very bottom, result?? oil canning in the first attempt, and even the hull pushing the liner upwards making 2 cracks in the aft starboard cabin sole, releasing the jackstand and everything back to normal and relocating the stand again, a pain in the ass!!!

Same happen with the chainplates , with proper upper rigging tensión the hull where the glassed toggle conect with the rod put a lot of stress in this área , if you see any bene 50 out of the wáter look at this particular place from the outside in the bottom.. oilcaning ...anyway we sail the boat hard in the last Heineken regatta , we love it, lots of fun, and we keep it in nice condition all the time, next Project is to replace the rudder bushings... not big deal..

The part when i say this boat is very dependent of the liner integrity plus the 2 bulkheads its in my mind very true, 30 or 40 knts and big seas are not a problem, its just the angle ... 20 ft seas for 3 days its a bad punishment for this particular beneteau...

Ah ha! I'm not the only one on this forum who has seen a Bendi take damage just from being blocked normally in the yard. I saw one case of oil canning so severe that after some months of drying severe osmosis, the jack stands left permanent dimples in the hull 1/4" deep that had to be glassed and faired. Never seen anything else like it...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 05:31   #212
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Sure be quiet around here from the blabla-its-not-the-boat-but-the-sailor heads once the groundlings who've maintained the bends have spoken truth and fair.

Wait, it's only the 50, you say? Sigh. More wrabbit sniffers marginalizing the margarine.

Seems to me that the Bendi boats are nice yachts, but not for Neptune's work.

Very sad, actually.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 05:42   #213

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
The bulkhead gave way under the battering from the sea and the rudder cables snapped, leaving the yacht taking on water and at the mercy of the waves
Full length article on Bermuda's RoyalGazette.com

Seems that in spite of loss, Henri and the Rorke's are smiling in pics and in the article Mrs Rorke says they want to sail again...
Old 30-04-2014, 05:46   #214
cruiser

They'll be back. They have the spirit and the attitude.
Old 30-04-2014, 05:55   #215

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Sure be quiet around here from the blabla-its-not-the-boat-but-the-sailor heads once the groundlings who've maintained the bends have spoken truth and fair.

Wait, it's only the 50, you say? Sigh. More wrabbit sniffers marginalizing the margarine.

Very sad, actually.
If Bene owners defended every post on this forum, they would quickly become a jaded and grumpy bunch of folks. If I was to look for evidence to counter the oilcanning of Bene's when they are stored on the hard, I would have to look no further than from the mid-Chessie bay northward, where many (most?) owners store their boats for several months on the hard over the winter. Anyone heard of hundreds of issues with Bene's failing on the hard there? Perhaps it was the manner in which the two Bene's were blocked that is the issue.

Anyway, enough of that, please carry on with the bashing- I know what kind of boat I have, and it is more than enough boat for what we want to do- which does not involve the N Atlantic in the early spring. I for one have no issues with acknowledging there are many boats built to a beefier spec with better scantlings, etc. than Bene's- just not price-point for price-point for similar lengths/ages. Would I take a Bene in the N Atlantic in the early spring? No way. Then again having crossed the N. Atlantic in much bigger vessels I'd be hard pressed to cross it in any pleasure craft that time of year. That's from my observations of how it can be out there and risk tolerance for myself and the family.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 05:56   #216
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:

Very sad, actually.
Well my 2 Bendi's which I solo'd happily from St Martin to UK/Europe handled Neptune beautifully.. a 321 and a 331.. maybe it its more a case of 'Bigger aint always best' which seems an oft cried slogan on here..
As to the oil canning.. its true.. mine had to have the jacks on the bulkhead areas.. unlike my Westerly Longbow with which I could place the jacks anywhere with confidence.. mind.. they knew how to build a solid boat..
But.. if you think of it logically these boats are bound to twist.. to much unsupported open space.. thin hulls may be tough but..
If one insists on taking these boats out of their comfort zone and the wrong season what do you expect..
Its bit like trying to drive a Suzuki Jimmy round a race track at 70+mph.. its gonna fall over sooner or later..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 06:11   #217

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
If Bene owners defended every post on this forum, they would quickly become a jaded and grumpy bunch of folks
They would be??

Anyway, I'm not a Bene-basher. I'm just adding to my own personal knowledge base. Here we have an instance where maybe we can garner a few more details than what are gleaned generally from the cases of sunken boats... and that's partially due to the fact that (thank goodness) the crew survived.
Old 30-04-2014, 06:13   #218
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well my 2 Bendi's which I solo'd happily from St Martin to UK/Europe handled Neptune beautifully.. a 321 and a 331.. maybe it its more a case of 'Bigger aint always best' which seems an oft cried slogan on here..
As to the oil canning.. its true.. mine had to have the jacks on the bulkhead areas.. unlike my Westerly Longbow with which I could place the jacks anywhere with confidence.. mind.. they knew how to build a solid boat..
But.. if you think of it logically these boats are bound to twist.. to much unsupported open space.. thin hulls may be tough but..
If one insists on taking these boats out of their comfort zone and the wrong season what do you expect..
Its bit like trying to drive a Suzuki Jimmy round a race track at 70+mph.. its gonna fall over sooner or later..
ahhh..yes, perhaps the smaller is the better, i didn't want to influence the experiment.

Me thinks the new B38 may have same issues as the 50 aye?

B's might be just the right boat for below the 30's but…

Then again, I wonder how a PSC 24 or 31 or any other similar open design responds to bulkheadless twister issues?
Old 30-04-2014, 06:17   #219

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
ahhh..yes, perhaps the smaller is the better, i didn't want to influence the experiment.

Me thinks the new B38 may have same issues as the 50 aye?

B's might be just the right boat for below the 30's but…

Then again, I wonder how a PSC 24 or 31 or any other similar open design responds to bulkheadless twister issues?
From an engineering POV the moments are less on a smaller boat. Consequently, less support may be needed or more spare dimensions could be used.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 06:26   #220

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
They would be??
Fair enough, especially before two hearty cups of coffee!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 06:29   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
...Two hearty cups of coffee!
++1 On my third!
Old 30-04-2014, 06:33   #222
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
From an engineering POV the moments are less on a smaller boat. Consequently, less support may be needed or more spare dimensions could be used.
Logic... hmmm..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 06:34   #223

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
If Bene owners defended every post on this forum, they would quickly become a jaded and grumpy bunch of folks. If I was to look for evidence to counter the oilcanning of Bene's when they are stored on the hard, I would have to look no further than from the mid-Chessie bay northward, where many (most?) owners store their boats for several months on the hard over the winter. Anyone heard of hundreds of issues with Bene's failing on the hard there? Perhaps it was the manner in which the two Bene's were blocked that is the issue.

Anyway, enough of that, please carry on with the bashing- I know what kind of boat I have, and it is more than enough boat for what we want to do- which does not involve the N Atlantic in the early spring. I for one have no issues with acknowledging there are many boats built to a beefier spec with better scantlings, etc. than Bene's- just not price-point for price-point for similar lengths/ages. Would I take a Bene in the N Atlantic in the early spring? No way. Then again having crossed the N. Atlantic in much bigger vessels I'd be hard pressed to cross it in any pleasure craft that time of year. That's from my observations of how it can be out there and risk tolerance for myself and the family.

Frank
He didn't say they fell over, just that there was oil canning going if he wasn't careful where he located the stands relative to bulkheads. For most boats that's not a consideration you have to worry about.

I think all but the most ardent Bendy disciples agree that Beneteau's are lightly built boats and are comfy, roomy, coastal cruisers at a price point that lots of folks can afford. You get a LOT of coastal cruising boat for your money, just like Bayliner owners can buy a great looking motorboat for half the price of a Grady White or Boston Whaler or Formula, but to keep the odds in your favor, you have to remember just what sort sailing it's best suited for and resist the idea that it's an any ocean, world cruiser.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 08:34   #224
cruiser

tsk tsk those sneaky frencies.

Can we all agree now that a Bennie is nothing more than a modern version of a birch bark canoe with a honey-trap interior?

Let the eggs begin…
Old 30-04-2014, 08:35   #225

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
tsk tsk those sneaky frencies.

Can we all agree now that a Bennie is nothing more than a modern version of a birch bark canoe with a honey-trap interior?

Let the eggs begin…

Dont be mad!!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote