Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2019, 09:03   #1

Best way to furl the jib

What is the best way to furl the jib in high wind (say 20+)?
I am trying to find a technique that does not require a lot of strength and is reasonably fast even in high winds, so even my wife can do it without using a winch, if needed.

The assumption here is that you can choose your point of sail when doing it, just trying to find the easiest way.

I did some research online and, to my surprise, there is very little information or videos on the technique to furl the jib (there is a huge amount of information on furlers and how to use them, and many videos on how to unfurl the sail, which is a much simpler maneuver in any wind condition, but not much on how best to furl it).

There seem to be two schools of thought: 1. furl the jib going upwind or even into the wind; 2. furl the jib going downwind or on a broad reach.

I have been experimenting and practicing with both, but I have not found a clear winner.

If you are going upwind, you'll have to ease the sheet considerably to release pressure from the sail. If you ease too much, the sheets will flap around and likely tangle, possibly preventing to furl the sail; if you do not ease enough, it will require great effort to furl.

If you are going downwind or on a broad reach, the idea is that the main would shield the jib and make it easy to furl. In my experience, this happens only if you are close to a run, which is something probably not so desirable in high wind, especially when shorthanded, because of the risk of an accidental jibe. If you are just on a reach, the main would not cover the jib enough, and you have a similar issue as the case above.

So what technique are you using in high winds?

Thank you!
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib