Penny and I have just returned from a dinghy
expedition - giving a repaired motor
a run - and done the rounds of the yachts out on the moorings in the Bay. As to be expected it is a varied group - from strange hermits to friendly happy folk - who are settled and happy to be living aboard
- for years. I'm sure we'll fit in somewhere nicely in between - and add further to the mix.
was cut entirely with dry masonry/stone cutting discs on a Makita Electric
Saw - with a few places inside and the frames being done using a big Metabo Hand Grinder - fitted with the same Masonry cutting discs.
Masonry discs can easily cut through steel
as well and had no trouble with the five-eight rods that make the frames - but 'steel cutting' discs CANNOT cut masonry.
I did not at any time - consider using 'wet' concrete cutting saws - as suitable - nor did I ever invest several hundred dollars in a diamond saw - as the masonry discs seemed to do the job just fine.
So the large masonry discs did the entire job - and the Makita Saw seems as good now as when I started.
The discs were only 3mm thick and made a perfect clean 3mm cut - by running the saw along guide timbers bolted on using the drilled plate holes. The plates which had already been fitted and the hull
drilled - and bolted up - had been removed - and 3mm thick steel
spacer strips were inserted every few feet and on each frame - to ensure the hull remained in exactly the same positon. These same painted spacer strips were put back in place all along the cut everywhere - at the shipyard too and bedded into the sealant
- before the top was lowered down - so that the 2 sections were in the exact same position as when the plates were fitted and all the holes drilled.
This has all proved to work fine - as so far every bolt hole of the two thousand or so - has lined up perfectly and the bolts just slipped straight in cleanly.
I would say that on average the large discs which only cost about $4 each at the hardware
store - cut about 1 m of the ferro-cement - using them carefully and in slowly deepening passes - rather than forcing the cut along at full depth
- which just wears the disc away faster. So all up - I would be surprised if I actually used 100 of them for the entire job.
The inside of the yacht with it's odd shapes and corners - and the unbelievable dust generated - was by far the hardest and worst part of the job. The outside - working in the open air - and even better if it was windy and blowing the dust away - was - by comparison - 'easy' - if you could call any of it that.