Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 16:54   #106

Re: yachtrodney - Launched at Last (after 15 years)

Amazing, we live on a Cat at Airlie Beach Qld, have been sailing the East Coast, for the Last Five Years.
You Guys have so much Talent, you Blow us away, Living the Dream. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425430440.182400.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	98275

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShawnArbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 17:20   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Wow - I had forgotten about YachtRodney but I was just talking to my brother the other day about a guy who cut his ferro in half to launch it. How timely.

Looks like not much boat activity after 2008. Not much of anything after 2011.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 18:17   #108

Wow. I cannot even imagine the thoughts that ran through your mind once you realized that you would have to cut the boat in half. Mind boggling. Congratulations on your determination and excellent efforts!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 18:32   #109

Re: Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob kingsland View Post
Hi Rodney: I've browsed this forum for some time but have never felt the urge to post until now. Having spent 28years building a 50' boat, I can identify with some of what you've been through and felt I had to write and congratulate you on a tremendous and magnificent accomplishment. The amount of work it took to get your project this far is mind boggling, and my hat is off to you. Congratulations, and the very best of luck. Bob S/V Restless
Not to put a damper on Rodney's amazing efforts and derail his throead, yet WOW!, Bob. I just spent 20 minutes looking at your S/V Restless photos. Such a beautiful boat. I love the lines, and the colors you chose. There's one "launch day" photo showing the stern post-launch, and the lines are stunning with that 14-foot beam. A really solid looking boat. I'd have named her "Hurricane Harasser", "Storm Stomper", or "Squall Squasher". Something along those lines.

You mentioned on your page that you chose to build her out of steel due to the experience you gained from your years spent commercial fishing. Can you elaborate on that a little more? Interested to know your thoughts on steel, as opposed to glass, aluminum, fc, wood. Did you use any treatments, other than paint, to make the hull impervious to corrosion and rust? Also, I assume you took interior photos once completed. Would love to see those. The joinery shown in some of your photos looks excellent. Great job! Any chance of you posting the design plans, including the interior layout?

Congratulations again.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 17:20   #110

Sorry Bob is dead.

Robert Kingsland, 65; swordfisherman and BU teacher spent 28 years crafting a 50-foot cutter into art - Obituaries - The Boston Globe
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 16:39   #111

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

I went down a rabbit hole today following a few links and spent a few hours reading about, and being amazed at, the 2 significant yachts in this thread, Bob Kingslands (RIP) SV Restless and the OP, Rodneys massive Ferro Cement. Their efforts are incredible and it would be nice to know where the boats are now.

I hope Bob got to enjoy Restless in his few years after launch.

Does any one know where Restless is now?

And is Rodney and his two part FC yacht are still around?
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote