Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 21:32   #1

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40
OMG, I bought a sailboat... Now what?! And hello!

Yes, I did it. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I know that I dream about every boat I've ever been on, especially the sailboats.

So, now I have a boat, a wife who doesn't necessarily like the idea, three dogs who hate the idea, and no clue how to go from here to blissful.

That's life!

Anyway, no question here, just a little about me is all. I look forward to meeting and reading you all!

Oh yeah! I bought a 1967 Santana 27. The surveyor kept commenting about how someone had put good money into the boat, and that it was in much better condition than he expected it to be. No Hull problems to speak of and the equipment that is present is in good shape!

Someone before me had rigged it for single handed cruising, but her most recent owner used and abused her as a cheap apartment.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 21:47   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: OMG, I bought a sailboat... Now what?! And hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post
Yes, I did it. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I know that I dream about every boat I've ever been on, especially the sailboats.

So, now I have a boat, a wife who doesn't necessarily like the idea, three dogs who hate the idea, and no clue how to go from here to blissful.

That's life!

Anyway, no question here, just a little about me is all. I look forward to meeting and reading you all!
Hi and welcome, I'm sure you will have fun here in the deep end of the pool.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 00:17   #3

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Hopefully, your enthusiasm will rub off on your wife and the dogs! Have fun. Read a lot here and you'll learn a lot.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 01:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Morgali.
Congratulations!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 03:21   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like it should be pretty fast for an old 27'er. (designed by Gary Mull)

It has 19.1 SA/Disp Ratio and a good Ballast/Disp ratio of 46

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/santana-27
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 03:37   #6

A car ride and a trip on the water!! What dogs don't love that? Are the dogs upset because you are leaving them home?
cherylchecheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 04:23   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post

That's life.
I’ve read of this. Start to give consideration which 2 of those to keep (wife, boat, dogs)
Old 31-10-2019, 14:47   #8

Boat: Mirage 35

I can relate - we just finished our third season as sailboat owners. Yes we had some experience with charters and other people's boats, but it's different when it's yours and it's just you.

First season: Lots of surprises, plenty of screw-ups, learning where everything is and how it works (and how to fix it). Frequently asked myself "Oh, crap, what have I done?"

Second season: Basics under control, learned a lot about the different systems, how to handle this particular boat, more about maintenance.

Third season: Wonderful! No panics, few surprises. We know how it works, are improving our skills and trying new things. Operations and maintenance are routine. Why didn't we do this twenty years earlier?

Enjoy!
Old 31-10-2019, 19:24   #9

welcome aboard! Wife and dogs hates the idea.... time for some water time!
Project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 19:39   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Dogs love boats. See if you can find an all ladies sail school. Update your profile when you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16543145-5C2D-4B18-97AF-7D5AB986D42B.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	202454   Click image for larger version

Name:	931244CC-1DF1-4728-A480-F5B44ADAC2D7.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	202455  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC8CE39E-2A68-476B-BDA2-28CEDD2AEB53.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	202456  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 19:44   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I can relate - we just finished our third season as sailboat owners. Yes we had some experience with charters and other people's boats, but it's different when it's yours and it's just you.

First season: Lots of surprises, plenty of screw-ups, learning where everything is and how it works (and how to fix it). Frequently asked myself "Oh, crap, what have I done?"

Second season: Basics under control, learned a lot about the different systems, how to handle this particular boat, more about maintenance.

Third season: Wonderful! No panics, few surprises. We know how it works, are improving our skills and trying new things. Operations and maintenance are routine. Why didn't we do this twenty years earlier?

Enjoy!
A good post to pay attention to! This is more reality than the "just buy a boat and go circumnavigate" advice so often seen here.

It takes time and some repetition to learn the boat, basic seamanship and maintenance... as well as sailing skills.

A bit of advice: be really careful not to take the uncertain wife and kids out on days w hen the f/c isn't good. Bringing them home wet, cold, tired and scared isn't a good look for the future. Seen a lot of that over the years!

Jim
Old 31-10-2019, 20:13   #12

I echo the last point. DO NOT TAKE YOUR WIFE OUT AT FIRST - ESPECIALLY IF THERE'S ANY CHANCE OF BAD WEATHER. You might never get her back aboard. I've seen it happen many times.

Instead, find a friend to sail with you until you are confident operating the boat and can keep it from unexpectedly heeling or otherwise feeling out of control. Or sail it alone. If your wife asks - be honest that you want her to like sailing.

Another common mistake of new sailors is to put up too much sail. S27's sail faster with only a little heel. If you are putting the rail in the water, you have too much sail up and are going slow.

Always look at the weather report before going out. If it looks "iffy" - do what real sailors do - fix something while tied to the dock and having a few beers Like a baseball batter waiting for his pitch - as a beginner sailor, wait for your weather.

Until you get really confident, reef the mainsail before leaving the dock. And put on a jib instead of a big genoa. The boat will be much easier to handle and almost as fast - even in light wind.

Look around the marina for an experienced sailor (or better, racer) with a similar boat and ask if he'd go sailing someday with you. He'll show you how to set the sails with the right tension and shape. Sailors love to do this.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 22:11   #13

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I echo the last point. DO NOT TAKE YOUR WIFE OUT AT FIRST - ESPECIALLY IF THERE'S ANY CHANCE OF BAD WEATHER. You might never get her back aboard. I've seen it happen many times.

Instead, find a friend to sail with you until you are confident operating the boat and can keep it from unexpectedly heeling or otherwise feeling out of control. Or sail it alone. If your wife asks - be honest that you want her to like sailing.

Another common mistake of new sailors is to put up too much sail. S27's sail faster with only a little heel. If you are putting the rail in the water, you have too much sail up and are going slow.

Always look at the weather report before going out. If it looks "iffy" - do what real sailors do - fix something while tied to the dock and having a few beers Like a baseball batter waiting for his pitch - as a beginner sailor, wait for your weather.

Until you get really confident, reef the mainsail before leaving the dock. And put on a jib instead of a big genoa. The boat will be much easier to handle and almost as fast - even in light wind.

Look around the marina for an experienced sailor (or better, racer) with a similar boat and ask if he'd go sailing someday with you. He'll show you how to set the sails with the right tension and shape. Sailors love to do this.

I'm in luck! There's a guy in the same marina, with the exact same boat! Already met him and he seems like a great guy. He told me his hull number but I don't recall it, he wanted to know what mine is but I don't seem to be able to find the hull number on my boat, it's not even on the title. Could it be that I have number one?
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:29   #14

Boat: Freedom 38

Congrats! Another great Gary Mull boat My Freedom has a plaque under the steps that gives the build number. Yours might be missing. I don't think this number is also reflected on the HIN, which you might not have either. The HINs are stamped on the starboard stern and required on all boats after 1972.

I also agree to not bring your wife with you until you know how to manage the boat well. A fearful first experience is hard to overcome.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:01   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CF.
Update you profile with your location and boat make & model. Then folks won’t be asking you constantly.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat