Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 19:30   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: New to Sailing: Want Dinghy to Cross Ocean

As much as I like the Laser, with only one sail it is more of an end in it's own right than a trainer for cruising. A sloop rig would teach more.

Read-up!
Old 16-04-2011, 00:42   #17
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleshirt View Post
Ideally whatever dinghy I get to learn with would be a suitable type to use as a tender. I was considering a Hobie but it will probably be whatever I can find cheaply.
OK, then you'd be wanting to learn in an Optimist, which is effectively a floating bathtub with a sail, and tenders need to be capacious as well as tiny enough to fit on deck or in the davits.

We have a Hobis and a Dart (the Hobie's his - Hobies suck, Darts rock) which we sail on ocean, to islands up to 40nm offshore. But neither fit on the yacht - for that we need the Oppi. But the Oppi's no fun (unless you're only 6) - it's a workhorse.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 07:07   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
As much as I like the Laser, with only one sail it is more of an end in it's own right than a trainer for cruising. A sloop rig would teach more.

Read-up!
I disagree. The Laser is to teach the OP how to sail well. Try and load too many other teaching goals in with that and the basics start to get shortchanged. A boat with a jib also implies crew which is not always available and crew-skipper interactions are REALLY a distraction from the sailing part if the skipper and crew are related (father-son) or involved (boyfriend-girlfriend). The trailerable boat is where he/she starts to learn to cruise and interact with crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
OK, then you'd be wanting to learn in an Optimist, which is effectively a floating bathtub with a sail, and tenders need to be capacious as well as tiny enough to fit on deck or in the davits.
A Sabot would be another training boat that could later serve as a tender, though I feel the OP would be better with a Laser to start then swap for a real tender later.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 18:44   #19

To clarify my goals; eventually I want to sail down the Ohio and Mississipi to the Gulf and on down around Africa. Actually, at the moment the goal is to learn to sail and find a craft capable of doing that. I would like to find a wooden boat because I have some experience with woodworking and none with fiberglass or steel.
rattleshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 21:10   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
To clarify my goals; eventually I want to sail down the Ohio and Mississipi to the Gulf and on down around Africa. Actually, at the moment the goal is to learn to sail and find a craft capable of doing that. I would like to find a wooden boat because I have some experience with woodworking and none with fiberglass or steel.
Wooden boats are more likely to be ongoing projects than glass boats. The exception is coldmolded wood construction which is a lot like fiberglass so why not get a glass boat. That's not to say that you couldn't go offshore in a wood boat, but you would likely be spending significantly more time on maintenance.

The question becomes do you really like wood construction and want to go with it for aesthetic reasons, or are you just more comfortable with it given your past history?

If the wood preference is an aesthetic thing then by all means go for it.

If wood is a comfort thing my suggestion would be to learn glass work maintaining the dinghy and trailer boat you want to get. Get Don Casey's book 'This Old Boat' which is a very good starter book and 'The Boat Repair Manual' by George Buchanan which is wonderfully illustrated and thus complements Casey's book quite well. If you do your own glass work on the little boats you will become more comfortable with glass. It may be that you are still more comfortable with wood when you get to looking for a voyaging boat, but you really should try to become familar with the other side.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 21:48   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New to Sailing: Want Dinghy to Cross Ocean

LMAO. noe we're goimg silly season time.... folks never stop surprising me...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 05:24   #22

I am aware that it is an odd if not mad goal. I'm comfortable with mad goals, been striving for them all my life. Just not with boats before.
Old 17-04-2011, 05:50   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Boaton whaler squall would fit the dink/boat to learn to sail on. They don't point real well and are kind of heavy but won't sink.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 06:28   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Alain Bombard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alain bombard crossed the atlantic in an inflatable.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 07:37   #25

I don't want to require hospitalization when I reach my destination. I will also have my wife and two children with me...I did say it was mad, didn't I?
Old 24-04-2011, 18:48   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Good dinghies mentioned for use aboard as tenders are Sabot, Optimist. Also a good one would be an El Toro. A Walker Bay with the sail rig would be ok but not quite as good a sailer. If your goal was just to learn to sail then yes, a Laser would be ok but don't rule out the Sunfish for ease of rigging and initial stability.
Compacs are trailerable cruisers but by the time you have some sailing experience you'll probably have lots more to choose from. I'd recommend a basic sailing course and reading the book "Start Sailing Right."
Check out some of the links after my signature and also the book recommendation.
kind regards,
Old 24-04-2011, 20:36   #27

Any opinions on the Rebel 16 as a learning boat? I found one with a trailer and electric motor for $1000.
Old 24-04-2011, 22:36   #28

Sail across an ocean with a laser and I will tattoo your name on my hind quarters!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 02:47   #29
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't want to require hospitalization when I reach my destination. I will also have my wife and two children with me...I did say it was mad, didn't I?
Yeah, but I don't think you said you ever said your wife and kids are too.... So you might be looking at a nice big yacht then for the crossing....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 10:51   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Yes, Rebel 16s are an excellent trainer. They are a stable forgiving little sloop and handle very well. It would be a good choice for training and fun daysailing.
Our Coronado Navy Sailing Club used them for racing as well. Very fun.
kind regards,

Tags
dinghy, sailing