Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 11:40   #1

Suggestions on sailing smaller waters (lakes)

Hello all......first time poster here.

Question : As a guy who would like to experience sailing on lake waters - I'm not at all sure on how one finds the opportunity. I've nothing against oceans other than the much more involved charters etc. of going that route. I did that once and found the ocean a formidable challenge. I'm not skilled enough to sail on my own - and years ago I had a brief experience on a medium lake (Deep Creek MD) that was absolutely outstanding.

For ex. Are there lakes in the East, perhaps New England where one could take himself onboard someone's 22' - 36' craft for a 2 hour sail with light winds and come back feeling good ? Perhaps it's not as feasible without contacts or friends, whatever....but I can't get that Deep Creek experience out of my head.

However, the day I experienced was a college course on Sailing where the instructor invited students out for a single afternoon at the end of the course once.....Very nice time on that small boat. And if there are only big get-togethers around the major lakes region - the bigger waters would take you away from that smooth type of sailing, correct ?

Any locations known where one could come approach finding this type of excursion ?
Duckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:44   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Duckworth,
I'm certain you'll find someone in your neck of the woods or up your creek who can lead you to what you wish to find. The ocean, too, can be very gentle at times with light breezes.
Anyway, welcome aboard.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 20:49   #3

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Hang out at your local marina early, tell the harbor master what you want to do, Be freindly, Dress sharp with boat shoes (clean) and somebody will be short handled and ask you to be crew.

May take a few tries.

Join local sailing groups.

Have fun, every sail is different.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 21:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Gotta watch those skippers with short handles running about - Might be rather a stern taskmaster! OTOH, short handed is good - they can't reach ya!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:19   #5

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
It depends on where you are in NE. Connecticut has a few good lakes, Mass has many more, VT has lake Champlain which has some fantastic sailing, ME is wonderful with a lot of lakes, and deep clear ones at that.
As far as NH goes, Don't know much about there.

Some of the camping resorts up there used to rent sails, you could start with some practice that way, then purchase a small cheep used boat and have fun adding to the scratches and dings.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:28   #6

Boat: Westsail 32
Take a look at:

http://www.sebagosailing.com/

I've never had any dealings with them, but see their boats go by our house all the time. Sebago is a great lake about 2.5 hours from Boston.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 21:30   #7

The tips thus far are appreciated a great deal....and Maine seems like a superb choice - but I'll bet their season will be over by the middle of September. Why sailing can't continue on these northern lakes into the late Fall is not something I understand too well. Hmmmm... Too much chill out there maybe... not sure.

From Pittsburgh, I don't mind a short trip to find a good location. Guess I don't have a lot of time to make up my mind.

BTW, does anyone think the sailing school at Lake Geneva (Wisconsin) - could compare favorably to those mentioned ? It's close to Chicago - but that's all I know. The opposite direction from Maine.
Duckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 04:25   #8

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckworth
Why sailing can't continue on these northern lakes into the late Fall is not something I understand too well. Hmmmm... Too much chill out there maybe... not sure.
Besides the obvious cold and the fact most people don't bother with heat on their boats, I think there are a combination of factors:

-Kids go back to school
-Many marinas and mooring fields shut down in September
-At least around here winds do pick up and it can get uncomfortable on the ocean.
-Tradition
-People get burned out for the season
-Better safe-than-sorry attitude, get the boat taken care of early...

Otherwise I think the Fall is the best time of year. I never liked overly warm weather, the winds are a little stronger and the best part... most people have laid up their boats for the season so the waterways are far less crowded.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote