Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2021, 19:25   #1

Boat: Still looking for an education
Knocking off a couple decades of rust

Hello all from Central Florida,

After XX years I am no longer able to stay satisfied with being landlocked. A couple months ago, thanks to the most patient ASA sailing instructor in the world, and an obliging pod of porpoise, the Wife is hooked as well.
Currently we are scheduled for ASA classes out of the FL East coast, with eyes on whatever sailing life the world allows us. One day we hope to own a vessel of our own, but in the mean time, hope to spend as many weekends as possible sitting in marinas or dock bars discussing likes and dislikes with current owners, sharing drinks and sea stories. Maybe scrubbing bird crap here and there in exchange for a boat tour. Or playing heavies to learn more advanced boat maintenance skills.
We know just enough to know we don't know enough, and are looking for whatever education we can glean from the experience of others, and look forward to sharing a table or anchorage with as many of you as possible in the days, weeks, months, and years to come.

Fair winds and following seas,
Steve and Jen
SCWentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 20:07   #2

Re: Knocking off a couple decades of rust

... on a side note, we are also in the midst of a 10 year quest to find the best blackened fish sandwich in Florida, and are open to any and all suggestions
Old 24-11-2021, 03:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve and Je.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 04:51   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Consider the idea of purchasing a pocket boat, say 22 to 25 feet long, that you can trailer to the nearest bay and day sail, or even go overnight. There are bunches of them on the market - just avoid any that will require those new skills to make sailable. The best way to get experience is experience in small doses.

Welcome.
Old 24-11-2021, 08:14   #5

Tkeithlu, our sailing school has a program where we have access to a Hunter 23.5, for $75 per trip. We are planning on using that as often as possible at first.
I had a decent, but not overly extensive sailing education in my youth, the Wife grew up landlocked. So, we are giving ourselves a good year before we even think of making a purchase, and in the meantime going to get on the water as often as possible.
I've been fortunate so far in getting a couple invites to go pinging around Biscayne Bay in a Corsair F27 recently, and have to admit, there is some serious fun to be had with the right trailer sailer. It was a major change from the sailing I did as a kid on a 58' gaff rigged Sampson (ferrocement) ketch that still used wooden blocks and could just about be overtaken by a rowboat.
At this point, we are open to experiencing just about everything until we figure out where we will land on that grand scale of performance, comfort, and affordability.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 25-11-2021, 04:50   #6

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I'd like to know more about the quest for the blackened fish sandwich as I really enjoy them too. Where have you tried and what did like best so far ?

I am in Jacksonville, anything near me ?

For what its worth, my wife and I did much the same as you, although after our first trailer sailer we jumped right into living aboard a Catalina 27 for 3 years. We were young and it was fun, but I'll need something bigger now to entice back aboard...if I can at all ! But she's ok with letting me go off as long as I don't forget where home is.
Old 25-11-2021, 05:11   #7

On the sandwich front, most of the places are lost to memory, I get a new favorite and stick with it until I find a new one. Right now, front runners are Norwood's near Daytona (although more for the tree house dining area than the sandwich), and Ichabod's down in Melbourne. There used to be a place right near Pete's Pier in Crystal River, but haven't been over to see if they are still around since COVID. Same with the place down just South of Sarasota, haven't been to see if they are still around.
Will have to start keeping better notes on sandwich chasing!
Don't know about living aboard just yet, still working her up to sleep aboard
Old 02-12-2021, 16:56   #8

Sorry for the additional newb post, but can anyone tell me how to send a PM on this platform?
Old 03-12-2021, 17:07   #9

Boat: 1981 Pearson 365 ketch

Steve and Jen, did someone get back to you, privately, perhaps? Click on the highlighted user name of the intended recipient of your message, and select "send private message" in the dropdown menu. If I'm wrong, would someone please help us both out?
--Cheryl
NavyDave_andMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 17:10   #10

Thanks, Cheryl!
... and welcome to the forum!
Old 10-12-2021, 18:55   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 18:44   #12

CF dreamer update:

Our initial plans were delayed by illness, but we have been sailing with our local club since the last post as well as becoming great friends with the Corsair owners mentioned earlier in the thread. Today we completed our ASA 103 and 104, and are looking forward to the next steps.
Once, a few years ago, there was an insurance broker located somewhere not too far afield from Cocoa, FL that was active here. If anyone remembers how to contact him, that may be among our next steps...