Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2023, 08:08   #1

Boat: Sovereign 23
Sovereign 23

Hi All, Just purchased a nice 1984 Sovereign 23! Any other owners out there? Wondering the process of raising the mast (with 2 people).
Thank you! ⛵️
CapeCodBubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 04:25   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Sovereign 23

Het CapeCod, so just googling the boat it looks like it has a fairly simple rig. Forestay backstay and just 2 shrouds - upper and lower - that go to a single point.

This usually makes raising and lowering pretty simple, especially with two people. What I don't know is how strong you are or how heavy the mast is.

Also, I don't know what the mast base is like, but usually for a boat like this it is a bracket that allows the mast to be bolted in so you can lean it forward (or back I guess) depending on which way is easier to do. Normally you lean them back.

But what I would do is have the backstay and shrouds all connected to their respective fittings but have the turnbuckles well loosened, including the forestay, which is NOT connected yet.

With you both in the cockpit I would begin to raise the mast and walk it up. The backstay and shrouds will hold it in position once it's up, with one person keeping pressure on it to hold it forward and in position.

The other person should be able to take the forestay and connect it, and then it's just a matter of tightening al the turnbuckles as needed.

I'm sure you can find plenty of videos of similar boats on YouTube. Take a look and see if you can get some ideas. Just be safe. If it's too heavy I wouldn't try it.

Old 23-12-2023, 23:23   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Bubs! As Old Man says, there are lots of videos on Youtube showing how to do it, and he describes it well too. But if you are in a marina there may be a hoist where folks lift their little racing boats out of the water. If you can sidle up to one of those you can put a loop around the mast below the spreaders with a line on it back to the deck. Lift the mast with the hoist with the hook on that loop and step it. It's not too hard and less chance of accidents.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 14:00   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 07:49   #5

Thank you! ⛵️
Old 18-03-2024, 20:32   #6

Hi All! I can’t wait till sailing season is here…very soon! I’ve seen a lot of videos where a single person using a mast stand or crutch with a winch to raise the mast single handed, so I’m going to try to go that route. Seems with an electric winch and remote switch it’s easier to control mast. I Just need to research buying the setup as my mast doesn’t have a bracket for the mast stand/crutch.
Happy sailing!!!
Old 19-03-2024, 09:22   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodBubs View Post
Hi All! I can’t wait till sailing season is here…very soon! I’ve seen a lot of videos where a single person using a mast stand or crutch with a winch to raise the mast single handed, so I’m going to try to go that route. Seems with an electric winch and remote switch it’s easier to control mast. I Just need to research buying the setup as my mast doesn’t have a bracket for the mast stand/crutch.
Happy sailing!!!
Good luck! Send photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote