Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2022, 23:45   #1

Internet? I know this has been asked but still figuring the forum out

What is everyone using for connectivity while offshore? I am looking at Iridium but know that I am missing some options.
lost0x01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 23:49   #2

Re: Internet? I know this has been asked but still figuring the forum out

Also introduction because I suck and read the rules late... I am a new solo cruiser that used to work on boat relocation (20 years ago) and decided I want my own. Just bought a Cape Dory 30 and looking to outfit it as well as a small boat can handle for offshore trips so I can sail and work at the same time. We will see if it works!
lost0x01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 12:24   #3

Boat: Tartan T4400

Lost0x01 I am looking to upgrade my Sat phone, looking at the Iridium Go. I want the ability to recive Weather Gribs, sent email/text. Voice is lowest on my priority list. I want the ability to have it send automatic position reports. I like that the Go has Predict wind service available for a fee.
You need to define your requirements for Satcoms. Do you need access to websites with graphics? Satphone store and Outfitter sattelite has lots of information and most of the providers on there sites.
Old 15-07-2022, 15:07   #4

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Depending on your timeline, I would wait and see what happens with Starlink.

Also see all the other threads on Starlink.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 17:15   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

The trend these days is sat phones.

But for 30 years we have had

We try to manage our expenses and with these methods we can keep the monthly and annual costs down. Of course the initial expense of the SSB set-up is considerable, but there are benefits to long range radio on the boat (nets, emergencies, Inter boat communications, etc).

Many people are interested in Starlink and we've met several boaters using it and they are happy. The monthly price is a show stopper for me.
Old 21-07-2022, 12:31   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 14:39   #7

Boat: Riva 48

The standard today seems to be cellular data close to shore and Iridium Go offshore. It works fairly well. Most of the time you are close to shore and 4G offers great price performance. Offshore, it is mostly weather and short messages to update your folks.

Starlink definitely has potential, we are in the wait and see mode. SSB radio is fantastic but mostly as a hobby, does not offer any benefit over Iridium Go.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 17:09   #8

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We have an IridiumGo, a Garmin InReach and an HF/SSB. We previously also had an old Iridium phone which was good for voice but not much else.

The IridiumGo is by far the most useful. We use Sailmail (subscription based) and download weather, primarily from PredictWind. This has been super useful in the past, including a crossing from Mexico to French Polynesia. We sometimes use it for voice communication but not frequently.

The HF/SSB is also very useful for talking to groups of people (i.e. nets) and sometimes individuals. The group communication feature can be very handy.

We recently used the InReach for a large number of text messages. It was not a great experience and because we have the base monthly plan, turned out to be quite expensive when we exceeded the monthly message allocation.

I have talked to boaters who have installed an RV Starlink system. Works great at the dock with very impressive speed/bandwidth. But, maintaining a connection is apparently very tricky when the vessel is moving on the ocean and the size of the dish would be prohibitive on our relatively small boat (38'). The recent release of the Starlink marine system may fix the dish size and connectivity problems but the equipment and operating costs are eyewatering and we won't be getting one anytime soon. Global coverage is also very limited at present.

I would buy another IridiumGo given its ability to do what we need and the relatively low equipment and monthly operating costs.

Tags
internet, rum