Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 15:16   #1

Boat: Other People’s Boats
Hi From Charleston. Ready to Crew!

Well, actually I’ll be ready at the end of the month. I’m retiring after a long career in Federal Law Enforcement. I live just a few minutes from the Charleston City Marina, where I plan to get the basic ASA courses under my belt. I don’t have any sailing experience yet but hopefully that’ll change soon.

I’ve lurked the CF for a good five years now waiting for this month. I feel like I’ve learned quite a bit just reading the various threads here, but I also know that is completely different than having any practical experience at all. I’d love to help you crew your boat on simple day sails around Charleston and eventually get to be competent crew for longer trips to anywhere and everywhere. I grew up in New Bern, NC and spent my childhood on ski boats.

Right now I don’t have any ambitions to own my own boat. I’d rather help you sail yours! Where do ya wanna go? I’m Chris and I’m sooo ready.
CarolinaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 16:53   #2

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Hi From Charleston. Ready to Crew!

Hi and welcome from Ontario Canada [emoji846][emoji1063]

If you were closer I'd crew you. But I suspect, as has happened to most, by the end of your first certification, you'll have the "boat bug'. Often followed by "10 foot-itis" once you own your first boat.

Enjoy your classes and I have no doubt you'll be on the water crew or captain in short order.

Fair winds [emoji569][emoji1]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 17:46   #3

Thanks for the reply Nauticus.

Once I get the first couple of ASA Certs, I’ll very likely post something in the “Crew Available” forum. I’ve read the advice of so many here who say the best way to get started is making myself available at my local marina. I’m certain to do that too.

I don’t have a particular affinity for racing, but I understand that is a very common way to get your foot in the door of the local sailing community. Heck, I’m the guy that will gladly help you on a boat project if it means that I’ll get to

1) go sail with you
2) learn from you about sailboats and sailing
3) maybe make a friend
Old 01-09-2021, 20:14   #4

Boat: Grampian 26

With a little experience you make yourself available for crewing on deliveries. Racing around the cans isn't my cup of tea but do do do love long distance solo offshore racing. We have a 300 and 600 on Lake Ontario.

Racing around the cans you will learn a lot. And fast. Learning to read the wind on the water, what proper sail shape should look like and why. You'll be tacking and jibing untill the cows come home. Fastest way to learn and more importantly, network.

Fair winds [emoji569][emoji1]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:09   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

There is a "yacht club" at the City Marina. I have friends who are members. I believe they get involved in racing.

If you join the yacht club, and attend their dinners and events, it won't be long before you will be invited to crew on someone's boat.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:11   #7

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

There is a harbor race every Wed. night. Any of those boats would be happy to take your virginity.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:02   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:31   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaChris View Post
Thanks for the reply Nauticus.

Once I get the first couple of ASA Certs, I’ll very likely post something in the “Crew Available” forum. I’ve read the advice of so many here who say the best way to get started is making myself available at my local marina. I’m certain to do that too.

I don’t have a particular affinity for racing, but I understand that is a very common way to get your foot in the door of the local sailing community. Heck, I’m the guy that will gladly help you on a boat project if it means that I’ll get to

1) go sail with you
2) learn from you about sailboats and sailing
3) maybe make a friend
I make this pitch to everyone who wants to learn to sail:

Get on a racing crew for local races. Even if you don't think you'll want to be a racer it will get you a LOT of experience fast and cheaply.

If there is a race every Weds night at the city marina, find out what time and just show up at the parking lot about 1 hour before the race and ask everyone you see getting out of a car if they need crew. You will get a ride and that is the start.

On the boat just do as you're told and don't ask to many questions. You'll learn by doing and by watching and listening. You'll do fine.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:56   #10

Boat: J-24; J-105

Hi Chris,

Kudos on retirement. Look into CORA, Charleston Ocean Racing Assoc. i think. Their Summer Wednesday night sailing series has unfortunately ended, but there are some regattas still left in season and some longer offshore races (Georgetown, Beaufort, etc.) As has been mentioned the Charleston Yacht Club will be a great place to inquire about sailing opportunities. ASA certainty a great way to get fundamentals down.
Wannabes00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 15:06   #11

Very appreciative of the replies. Thanks to all!
Old 03-09-2021, 15:40   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Pm sent. Please advise
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 16:49   #13

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

I would recommend sailing with Big John. He is clear, concise, and thinking 3 moves ahead so doesn't get flustered and yelling.
Old 03-09-2021, 20:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Pm sent. Please advise
Hi. I’ve replied.
Old 03-09-2021, 20:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
I would recommend sailing with Big John. He is clear, concise, and thinking 3 moves ahead so doesn't get flustered and yelling.
Is he an instructor at the ASA school at the Charleston City Marina?

Tags
crew