Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 08:22   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Hello from Albany Oregon & Alameda CA

Love this site! It has been one of my "go to" places to look for answers on "how do I ???" for my new to me boat. First one was a Ericson 27, now a Whitby 42. I live in Albany Oregon. Sailed the Whitby to Alameda California nearly a year ago. OK- I sailed part way, and motored part way due to flat seas and no wind. Grandson born in Bay Area 17 months ago- Stay on the boat when I go to visit, and my wife stays on it most weekends even when I am not there. It was my wife's idea to get a bigger boat (the one I have always dreamed about owning) to be able to comfortably stay on while visiting and be getting it ready to hopefully do cruising on a larger scale. Not only is she beautiful (the wife)--she is smart - a keeper. Just in case the moderators pay attention and start counting years, I did not give my real birth date but gave the date we were married ( hate giving out information that could be used to steal identity)

Renamed the Whitby 42 "Highland Dream". The story behind the name; as a young lad growing up in Watertown South Dakota, the family would sometime do a Sunday drive around Lake Kampeska. My father would comment on how many sailboats there used to be on the lake when he was growing up and after he returned from WWII, and how he always wanted to go on a sailboat, imagining how it would feel. That sparked my interest, and I became enamored with the idea of owning a yacht. Took sailing course through a local club after moving to Oregon. Sailed with friends on their boats. Took a bare boat cruising course. Could never justify owning my own do to lack of time to be able to use it for many years. Rented and cruised (I call it a "virtual boat"), and continued to sail with friends (that is the best boat to have when on limited budget & time-- one that someone else pays for and you get to join in the fun part). When we purchased the Whitby, my wife disliked the name and wanted to rename it. I grew up on Highland Blvd in Watertown, and my mother is Scottish-- "Highland Dream" it is. Very interesting thing happened the day of the renaming ceremony. All three of my sisters where there, both of my children and spouses and grandson. We took the boat out for a sail and a B17 flew directly over us. Dad had been in the US Army Air Core stationed in England working on B17's ---Mom had been in the Royal Air Force. It was nice to think that they were there with us on that sail of "Highland Dream".
Phantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 08:51   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hello from Albany Oregon & Alameda CA

Welcome to the forum. I kept "Joli Elle" in Alameda for a few years.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 09:32   #3

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Welcome to CF. The Whitby 42 is a great boat and here's hoping you have a terrific time!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 10:31   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Great story about your renaming ceremony! I love boat names that have personal connections. Welcome to CF and to Alameda, too. I'm over on the Oakland side. Great bunch of people all up and down that estuary
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 03:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Phantastic.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 22:50   #6

Hi Phantastic, welcome. What are your sailing goals while in the bay area? Such as, do you like to race or cruise? Want to anchor out? Want to know when and where is good for light air or for more boisterous sailing? Fuel and pumpouts? Boat up restaurants/bars?

Lot's of us on here know and are happy to share.

Over the past decade I've been everywhere, so it feels. Including a few years on the Estuary (oakland and alameda). Each region is unique. Our microclimates provide sailing weather for all types.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 12:55   #7

Boat: Whitby 42

I am not much of a racer- except when there is another sailboat on the water

We are mostly interested in doing some local cruising, fixing some of the list of items and spending time with the grandson consume a great part of the time while in the Bay Area. Still learning about the boat after a year of owning it.

We are members of the Oakland Yacht Club, which seems to have a great number of friendly helpful members as well as great facilities.
Phantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 10:00   #8

It sounds like you are on just the right track, if you ask me. I hear the OYC is known as one of the loveliest YC's around. The nicest, kindest, coolest sailing/powerboat liveaboard couple we know are members there.

Here is a lost of some of the local cruising I have done:

Albeit cold and blowing we just came back from an overnight, sail in the bay on a friends 40' boat. Broad reaching in 20-25 kts going over 9 in the slot and cityfront was invigorating. We had a fun overnight rafted up to a friend anchored in Clipper Cove (Treasure Island). One of our few protected anchorages; can be chilly and gusty but rarely rolly. Beach access too.

Angel Island (Ayala Cove) was packed out this weekend, all their moorings taken. Another great overnight opportunity with things to do (hike or tram to the top for great 360 bay views). You can also hang out in the lee of AI to relax or make/eat lunch while it's honking in the bay.

Aquatic Park is probably my favorite, it embodies sailing, bay/city/GGbridge views and SF exploring (only open to sailboats). You are at Ghirardelli Sq. Leave your dinghy at the beach. Just a couple blocks away is Jacks, a pub with around 60 draft beers, pub food and a pool table that I like. Fisherman's Wharf is within walking, cable car, and a long walk to North Beach.

If you really want to be up close and personal to the Golden Gate Bridge check out Horseshoe Cove anchorage (or guest dock), next to Presidio YC/Travis Marina (yc and bar with sweet views).

Want warmer wx and maybe some hiking? It's been a couple years but I quite liked dropping a day hook off McNears beach (China Camp). We have even made it to the beach swimming and on pool floats.

Want to go cruising for a week or longer? Check out the warm air and water in the vast Delta. Love the Delta, sailing the countryside.

Have fun!
SC
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon