Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 07:22   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Thieving B$@#%^%$!!!

We just got a new tool for peeling Gelcoat on Thursday, bought by the boat owner and to be deducted from the boat work. A very unique tool at $800. Saturday night, the shop was hit and most of the power tools stolen, including the new tool that had maybe 10 hrs on it. We are stopped cold until I go spend material money on tool replacement tomorrow. If it wasn't a damned holiday, I'd be out there this morning and we'd be working this afternoon.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:34   #2

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Re: Thieving B$@#%^%$!!!

Bummer, I hate thieves. But that tool will probably be hard to sell. Keep an eye on ebay. Hope you were insured.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Not for theft no.....
Old 16-01-2012, 07:36   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

And "Craiglist" if you have it in your area.

When I was living in St Charles, MO, my home was robbed by teens looking for stuff to sell for drugs, most probably. Anyway, I installed iron bars over the windows and doors. One night shortly after it dawned on me, I was the one living behind bars, not the thieves. So I bought a boat and sailed off.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 10:21   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I hope you find it on Craigslsit and pull off one of these:

Boulder woman finds stolen bike on Craigslist, takes it back after 'test ride'

Police arrested a Westminster man after a Boulder woman said she found her stolen bicycle for sale on Craigslist.

Kathryn Lucas, 25, of Boulder, told police she locked her black Trek road bike on a rack near 14th and Pearl streets Friday. When she returned at 10:30 that night, the bike was missing, and she filed an online report.

On Sunday, Lucas was on Craigslist when she noticed a road bike that resembled hers. She arranged with the seller, identified by police as Denzel O'Neal Crawford, 18, to look at the bike in Westminster.

"It was kind of a rookie move to put it on Craigslist in the same area," Lucas told CBS4 Denver.

When she arrived and confirmed the bike was hers, she asked Crawford if she could take a test ride, according to police. He agreed, and Lucas rode off on the bike, loaded it into her car and drove away.

She then called police, who found Crawford at his home a few hours later and arrested him on suspicion of theft between $500 and $1,000.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 10:30   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

My condolonces, that sucks. Did you get the Gelstrip model?

Gelstrip - Your first step for a complete osmosis cure

Or the Gelplane?

GelPlane Professional Osmosis Treatment, Gel Plane, Gel-Plane, strips, peels gelcoat, stripper

Or some other model? Just curious. I'll keep an eye on CL.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 10:56   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

That's not nice - nicking someone's tools.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:29   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

****. That's just not nice.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:34   #9

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I made a living as a heavy equipment mechanic. Over the years I've had many people try to sell me tools & always turned them down. I figured buying tools like that just encouraged more thievery. Some may of been the legitimate owners but if I didn't know them I didn't buy the tools. If I caught a thief on my boat or on the dock they had better be good swimmers.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:57   #10

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
the shop was hit and most of the power tools stolen, including the new tool that had maybe 10 hrs on it.
I don't know what it is about Bellingham. I had stuff stolen off my boat when it was moored in Bellingham. This included my dinghy oars. My sole method of propulsion for the dinghy. I lost the water pump">raw water pump coming out of Sqaulicum. Then broke a screw off trying to change the impeller. No problem row in and get an easy out. Except for the F@#$%*&g oars were gone from under the dinghy.

That started a very interesting day bumming a ride to the marina and back to the boat.

Anyway I hope you find the thieves and get a chancce to reform them before the cops arrive.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:22   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I hate thieves. Tools are expensive and how I make my living. About fifteen years ago I was working on a boat for about three weeks straight seven days a week. I had promised my wife a nice vaction the day after I finished. The day before I was done my van was parked in a marina in front of the boat I was working on. I was inside the boat most of the afternoon. When I went to leave I saw someone had stolen pretty much all my power tools, spares, SnapOn tools and the chest worth several thousands. No one saw a thing. I had to buy all new ones the next day to finish the job. Needless to say the wife didn't get her vacation. If I had back half of the tools I've had stolen over the years I'd have a pretty impressive shop. Why is it you can never catch these scumbags? One day though, if I ever do catch one they'll pay for all the others I didn't catch as well.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:30   #12

Boat: C&C Newport 41

u can steal a man's wife but u cant steal his tools.

almost would have been worth it if you could have caught them in the act...

-anger issues
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 15:24   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Fella has been parking his works truck near where my boat is moored for the last year or so (including overnight):-

I reckon if he started losing stuff he might get a van......

.....not to say that hereabouts is 100% crime free - but no great drug problems locally, as the locals can mostly afford their drugs . (even at the inflated island prices - same as for everything else shipped in).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 15:31   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra
We just got a new tool for peeling Gelcoat on Thursday, bought by the boat owner and to be deducted from the boat work. A very unique tool at $800. Saturday night, the shop was hit and most of the power tools stolen, including the new tool that had maybe 10 hrs on it. We are stopped cold until I go spend material money on tool replacement tomorrow. If it wasn't a damned holiday, I'd be out there this morning and we'd be working this afternoon.
This sucks totally. A man who makes his living with tools just shouldn't have this happen. Especially after your lean months keeping the boys paid.

Your Karma bank is getting pretty full.

I hate to say it but don't rule out inside job. They know best what you have in the shed...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 15:43   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, it was an ex I'm sure. They also knew how to avoid the cameras. Nothing on video.