Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 09:38   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: Thieving B$@#%^%$!!!

We got hit again but this time have the serial numbers and video of the perp and his truck. Just a matter of time now...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:40   #17

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Good Luck!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:58   #18

Cool. It's amazing how many times I've heard about these boneheads hitting the same place twice. Hope the cops catch them with some of the goods... probably only way they'll even be arrested. I mean if you can get the cops to stop writing traffic tickets long enough to do real crimefighting.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 10:56   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I've heard that if a thief gets away with something, waits two weeks while the owner replaces tools through an insurance settlement that the same thief can come back and get the replacement tools too.
I hope you can recover the original tools.
kind regards,
Old 31-01-2012, 13:53   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I hope you can recover the tools and use them to ______ the thief's ______ off.

(The blanks may be filled as you see fit.)
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:36   #21

Boat: Traditional 30

Side note. I work in the entertainment industry and hire PA and Lighting systems. We often get Smoke Fluid ( the stuff that makes theatrical fog/smoke) stolen from some of our regular venues (where we have permanent hires and we provide consumables).

Its usually stolen by a visiting band.

In one venue we intentionally leave a "special" bottle of fluid. Instead of it containing the $10 per litre real stuff, it a nice mix of sugar and water. Needles to say, anyone who steals it will end up never stealing our fluid again because it will ruin any fogger they try to use it in. So far only one bottle of it has gone missing. (It made me smile when I found out). Obviously, sugar and water wont harm anyone. But it got so frustrating at one stage that we "joked" about using metholated spirits and turning their foggers into flame throwers.

Yeh yeh.. I know its evil. But it feels good.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:02   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
We got hit again but this time have the serial numbers and video of the perp and his truck. Just a matter of time now...
Once is enough to pi$$ you off, but twice. At least with video you have a chance to catch them this time.

After the third time my house was broken into I got lucky and caught the guy. Apparently when my wife came home early from work he was still in the house, didn't have time to get away with our stuff and hid it in the woods behind our house. Dummy came back the next morning to pick up our things and I spotted him coming out of the woods carrying my gym bag full of our laptops and cameras. I chased him down, tackled him, and got the bag back. He did take off in a car but I got the tag number, cops got him and he went away for a few years.

So, hope you get as lucky. Sometimes the good guys do win.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Once is enough to pi$$ you off, but twice. At least with video you have a chance to catch them this time.

After the third time my house was broken into I got lucky and caught the guy. Apparently when my wife came home early from work he was still in the house, didn't have time to get away with our stuff and hid it in the woods behind our house. Dummy came back the next morning to pick up our things and I spotted him coming out of the woods carrying my gym bag full of our laptops and cameras. I chased him down, tackled him, and got the bag back. He did take off in a car but I got the tag number, cops got him and he went away for a few years.

So, hope you get as lucky. Sometimes the good guys do win.
Thats a story with a great happy ending. I cant stand @$$holes that steal. No matter what it is. Its just low and says a lot about the person IMHO.

My Boat was broken into some years ago while at anchor. They took the usual stuff, outboard, radio etc. But what really annoyed me was they they took the spinnaker sheets. We were mid way through a regatta and by the time we found out it was too late to go shopping and had to use mooring lines as sheets. You can imagine what the Sheet Hands fingers felt like at the end of the day.

Sometimes I think the Arabs have some good ideas. Chop the hands off. No problems!!
Old 31-01-2012, 17:17   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Thats a story with a great happy ending. I cant stand @$$holes that steal. No matter what it is. Its just low and says a lot about the person IMHO.

My Boat was broken into some years ago while at anchor. They took the usual stuff, outboard, radio etc. But what really annoyed me was they they took the spinnaker sheets. We were mid way through a regatta and by the time we found out it was too late to go shopping and had to use mooring lines as sheets. You can imagine what the Sheet Hands fingers felt like at the end of the day.

Sometimes I think the Arabs have some good ideas. Chop the hands off. No problems!!
Took the spinnaker sheets? That seems quite odd. Were they really expensive, high tech line or something. One would think there were other more valuable things to take.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 18:44   #25

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post

I say Get the name from the cops and then him. I live by my tools as well and if you touch mine without permission you have crossed the line. Don't even ask to borrow them unless I owe you money.

We've got someone with sticky fingers at the marina I'm at now. It's a great place as far as weather and wind goes and surrounded by million dollar homes. Still! We have a thief in our midst taking radios and laptops.
I think I know who it is and where he comes from and if I catch him we have the hold your ground law down here and I have a conceal permit.
He'll be fish bait !
Old 02-02-2012, 04:06   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Ask the police if you could save the taxpayers a lot of money by administering justice privately. Fifty lashes and a keelhaul or two seems just about right.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53   #27

Boat: islandpacket

Years ago when I did road work, every day when the high school got out this kid would race up the road and his co pilot would open the car door and knock down all our traffic cones. After several days of this a coworker filled a really large traffic cone with concrete and placed it fifth in line, almost took the kids door off. He came back with his pissed off father and as he kept trying to explain to his dad why it was our fault the car was torn up, he just told his kid to shut up and get in the car and drove off. Never heard anything else.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25   #28

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We had a problem with theft of tools. When we left the boat, placed a rat trap in the new tools. When the thief came back, grabbed tools, trap sprang, thieves fingers broken. Easy to catch the guy with the broken hand.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:25   #29

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

A buddy of mine in the millwrighting business lost a bunch of stuff once. He got so fed up that he made up a gang box of 3/8 plate, with the kind of door on it you find in gun safes. NO way to get the door open without a key unless you want to spend an hour or so with a grinder or torch. Anyway, with his tools in it, the sucker weighed in at some 1000lbs, and the first thing he'd do on a new job site was pick it up with a forklift, position it against a vertical pylon and weld the sucker to the support. People used to laugh at him til one day a gang got in that job site over a weekend and robbed everything there. company tools. workers tools, arc generators, etc. But his gang box was still sitting there welded to the pole. I guess it helps that he put a huge lever throw switch on one side (its removable) and put warning signs on it stating that it contained high voltage leads. 60,000 volts worth.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 18:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Took the spinnaker sheets? That seems quite odd. Were they really expensive, high tech line or something. One would think there were other more valuable things to take.
That's what I couldn't understand either. Why take them? They were just normal old racing braid. The radio and outboard I understand. But as mentioned the frustration of the sheets made the whole event worse.