Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 17:08   #31

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380
Re: The Motorcycle Racers Thread

I raced dirt bikes from 98 until a few years ago. Started out with MX, but quickly decided I was too old to be doing big jumps. Switched to desert racing, but much of that was too high speed for me- had to go to work on Monday! Fortunately, some like minded friends started a new racing organization in AZ for more technical, ie slower races- enduros and hare scrambles on mostly single track trails. My favorite races though were the Idaho City 100 and the Tecate Hare Scrambles. Idaho took 7-8 hours and Tecate was 3. I did much better with long brutal races. I had quite a few Kawasaki KX250's and finished with a KTM 300XCW. I liked the Kawis, but the KTM was so much easier to ride, wish I had switched long ago. Last race was Idaho 3 yrs ago, sometimes miss it, but I'd rather be sailing now!
Old 30-04-2015, 17:24   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

As far as putting good bikes on boats, be careful, while my exhaust and some other parts on my Husky TE-450 is Titanium, I believe at least most of my engine cases are Magnesium, based on they way they have discolored / corroded and I powder coated them, but Magnesium on a boat with salt water spray would be severely corroded very quickly, I don't know if KTM uses any Magnesium, be worth asking I think.

I always wanted to Desert race, that was my dream as a kid, but I had to stick to Scrambling.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:44   #33

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Ended my motorcycle road racing career in 2009 at Daytona International Speedway when I high sided in the International Horseshoe. Collected the right femur, thigh, a rib, and assorted bruises.
Decided I didn't bounce as well at age 65 as I used to, so I sold all my bikes except the one I crashed on, a much modified 1989 Honda GB500 single. ...
You are crazy...but I just like crazy guys.

Yes life is about that, given up with the things we cannot do anymore and keep doing the things we can do and have fun with them. Sailing and cruising is just great about that, you can keep up for a long, long time, if we are lucky till we die.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsailor12 View Post
I raced dirt bikes from 98 until a few years ago. Started out with MX, but quickly decided I was too old to be doing big jumps. Switched to desert racing, but much of that was too high speed for me- had to go to work on Monday! Fortunately, some like minded friends started a new racing organization in AZ for more technical, ie slower races- enduros and hare scrambles on mostly single track trails. My favorite races though were the Idaho City 100 and the Tecate Hare Scrambles. Idaho took 7-8 hours and Tecate was 3. I did much better with long brutal races. I had quite a few Kawasaki KX250's and finished with a KTM 300XCW. I liked the Kawis, but the KTM was so much easier to ride, wish I had switched long ago. Last race was Idaho 3 yrs ago, sometimes miss it, but I'd rather be sailing now!
I raced one of the first KTM 300, a 1992 model and yes that was a fast motorcycle and an easy one. Here the Bajas are less fast and more technical. They are called Bajas because they are long non stop races on natural tracks and old country roads but there are plenty mud, clay and very twisting tracks among trees. The KTM 300 was great for that.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:11   #35

I have a proposition to you all. I still like motorcycle racing in lots of forms, at least I can watch. Lots of folks on this thread raced different motorcycles and different races, some that I have never heard off but that I would like to know more about.

The proposition is: post some good movies of your favorite or favorites races, the ones that you used to do and like more, not necessarily featuring you. This way we are going to have fun looking at good racing movies and would have a much better idea of what one is talking about and used or prefer doing.

This is my favorite one. I always liked mixed races. Done this one about 10 times. Just finishing it was great:

Tags
motor, race, racer