Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Should Chotu Quit the Forum?
Yes, don’t let the door hit you 8 21.62%
No, you should stay. 29 78.38%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2022, 17:54   #31

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Should Chotu Quit This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
You DO seem to get picked on extra, but I suspect that's out of jealousy: the pickers aren't building a boat most of us only dream of.
I suspect there's a kernel of truth there.
Chotu, you know, building a boat is in many ways akin to being a "One armed paper hanger", or rushing around trying to put out multiple fires with a leaky bucket.
So, sometimes your posts come across as "everything is a crisis".
I understand that.
But remember what Winston Churchill said; "Success is defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".
Old 26-12-2022, 18:07   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Follow all the advice upthread about growing a thicker skin, putting whoever gets your goat on ignore; and not indulging yourself by throwing any kind of retaliatory action whatsoever at them. Putting particular screen names on ignore isn't a perfect deal: sometimes someone whose posts are not on ignore may quote someone's who is on your ignore, and you will then see it. But you can still not respond to it.

Any other policy will lead to grief of one kind or another.

The community rules on CF call for politeness and thoughtful commentary. Sarcasm should be avoided.

And, realistically, it takes time for routine moderation, which is mostly done not unilaterally, but by consensus; because of the moderators (all volunteers) being spread out all over the world's time zones, and being unavailable for consultation when they are not engaged on CF.

Ann
Old 26-12-2022, 18:39   #33

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Don't listen to someone you wouldn't seek out for advice.
Old 26-12-2022, 18:53   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing55 View Post
Good grief Chotu...grow up and quit acting like a child.
My only problem with you is the way you attack anyone who does not agree with you.
This!
Old 26-12-2022, 19:17   #35

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
So should I stay here or should I quit? It’s in your hands.
Well, since you're asking for existential forum advice, Mr. Chotu, I offer these suggestions for engagement with the forum to improve your experience here:

* Consider that a clear, honest, complete opening post will be better received and produce higher quality engagement (albeit less of it) than a deliberately inflammatory one.

* Consider that knowledgeable, articulate posters provide their answers for nothing more than your thanks and the satisfaction of knowing they have helped you. Be careful not to shortchange them.

* In a healthy community, the well of compassion and understanding runs deep but is not bottomless. Choose when to drink of its waters and when to refrain.

* Reread some of your threads where you open with a generic question of broad interest and slowly reveal that you have either a much narrower question of actual interest to you or an axe to grind. Imagine you are one of the posters who invested time and effort in replying to your original question which they now realize is fake. How do you feel?

* Review your last few dozen or few hundred posts and determine how many of them were made as part of a genuine effort to help others, encourage others, or at least to further a discussion primarily of interest to others.

* Post a story of your difficulties with epoxy sensitivity in a way that is clear, factual, and educational so that others can learn from your experience, rising above the inherent tragedy. I have tried to find such a narrative among your posts in the past and was unable to do so, so I apologize if I have missed it.

* Review your recent posts and determine whether there is a pattern of trying to solve problems for free that can only be solved with money. Boat ownership is expensive. CF members cannot provide you with a magic wand that will eliminate the expenses for mast cranes, repairs to your boat by professionals, or lodging. All CF members find it unwelcome but necessary to pay expenses such as these from time to time.

That's all I have for you. I doubt it is what you hope for. Perhaps one day you will look back on it and find that it was of value.

As for the rest of CF, well, I find the sociology of online communities to be fascinating. I think it is interesting that the more heavily moderated forums produce some of the most blatant ingroup/outgroup dynamics and ostracism. I will leave it up to the reader to make their own determination as to whether CF fits this pattern, where it might land on the scale, and whether the reaction of CF as a whole to Mr. Chotu should be a source of pride that reflects well upon CF's posters.
Old 26-12-2022, 19:34   #36

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

You should stay, but you should seriously reconsider how you address others on this forum….calling them “mentally ill” when they disagree with you only goes so far….

Goodbye from my couch (i.e. self-built 36’ catamaran) in Seattle. I will no longer be replying to any of your posts. I wish you well….treat others as you wish to be treated….good luck on your build and happy new year…..
Old 26-12-2022, 19:46   #37

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think you should stay but I do think you can be a little dramatic at times...like this time for example. Maybe we should just ban people who do not have a boat. Never mind, the place might be empty and lonely.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 26-12-2022, 19:53   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thread closed for the next 18 hrs, at least. Sorry for any inconvenience caused thereby.

Ann
Old 26-12-2022, 20:01   #39

Boat: Dufour 29

For some reason people take advantage of the anonymity of internet postings to break the normal rules of human discourse. The fact that Chotu sometimes gets a bit worked up in the ongoing saga of floating his boat should not be a reason for personal attacks, when the questions and answers give rise to useful information and thought provoking questions.
Old 28-12-2022, 12:35   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Thread closed for the next 18 hrs, at least. Sorry for any inconvenience caused thereby.

Ann
The moderators think this thread has run its course and therefore closed. Time to move on.

Pete
Closed Thread

Tags
rum