Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 17:04   #1

What was the name of that sailing show??? The one with the dentist and his family.

Please help me remember...what was the name of that show/documentary about the family of four from Canada (the dad was a dentist) that sailed around the world for several years. It was probably filmed in the nineties or so. I think it pre-dates Distant Shores. There was a daughter and a son. We were talking about sailing shows at dinner tonight, and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of that show. It is driving me nuts. Please help or I won't be able to sleep tonight.
timcopsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 17:33   #2

Re: What was the name of that sailing show??? The one with the dentist and his family

MIght this be the show of interest.

One can watch on Amazon. The Gifford Family.

https://www.amazon.com/Family-Sailin.../dp/B07BGQZV15

https://qz.com/778593/sailing-around...out-structure/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 18:33   #3

Re: What was the name of that sailing show??? The one with the dentist and his family

No. This family only had two kids. One boy and one girl. They shot the footage themselves and the show wasn't made until later, so there are interviews with the children who were now older. I am certain that the dad was a dentist.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:30   #5

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Are you thinking about "All in the same boat"? Paul Howard posts on here
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Are you thinking about "All in the same boat"? Paul Howard posts on here
Paul Howard (& Fiona McCall) gives a great summary of their sailing adventures, to the Toronto Multihull Cruising Club:
https://www.facebook.com/torontomult...4385535670837/

Old 02-02-2021, 05:01   #7

Boat: Contest 46

Sounds a lot like Following Seas with the Griffith family. The dad was a vet, not a dentist, though. It was a highly depressing movie that made me question a lot about my own motivations.

https://www.amazon.com/Following-Sea.../dp/B075FWN6YP
MondayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Sounds a lot like Following Seas with the Griffith family. The dad was a vet, not a dentist, though. It was a highly depressing movie that made me question a lot about my own motivations.
https://www.amazon.com/Following-Sea.../dp/B075FWN6YP
“Following Seas’ is a fascinating look into one family’s story”
“... “Following Seas,” a documentary shown at the Ann Arbor Film Festival made by Tyler J. Kelley and Araby Williams, is the story of the Griffiths [Nancy, Bob, & Kids], as told by the matriarch, Nancy. Husband Bob] ...”
https://www.michigandaily.com/sectio...2%80%99s-story
“Depot Docs: “Following Seas”
https://highlandscurrent.org/2017/01...ollowing-seas/

Nancy Griffith, 1934 — 2013https://www.ptreyeslight.com/article...fith-1934-2013

Trailer

Old 02-02-2021, 07:02   #9

It is definitely not Following Seas.

I recall an episode where the kids are being towed behind the boat and they get dragged through a school of jellyfish. There is also an episode where the son, who has asthma, needs to go to the hospital in a far flung location to get nebulized. The father's profession as a dentist allowed him to stop in some places and earn money to fund continued traveling. I recall that the son grew up to be a golf pro, and the daughter grew up to be a yachtie.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcopsa View Post
It is definitely not Following Seas.

I recall an episode where the kids are being towed behind the boat and they get dragged through a school of jellyfish.
You are clearly talking about "All in the same boat" - I didn't see the documentary, but read the books. Boat was a junk-rigged steel 30-something footer.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:18   #11

Close, but no. The Neale's have two daughters. And the family in this show had a son and only lived on board for maybe 4-7 years before returning to land life.

This is killing me. I remember so much about the show. There was another episode where the boat was struck by lightning and all of the electronics were fried. They limped into the nearest port which was not very close and had to wait a few months while they had all of the electronics on board replaced. it took so long because every item had to be shipped to the small island where they were.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:17   #12

Don't know who the Neale's are. I'm talking about Paul Howard and Fiona McCall, daughter Penny and son Peter. Boat named Lorcha iirc
Old 02-02-2021, 08:33   #13

Does this ring a bell?

Old 02-02-2021, 09:09   #14

There were two that I recall that had a Dad who was a dentist. First is maxingout.com which was a family of 4 on a Privilege. They did a circumnav with their son and daughter. They are doing it again right now with the son and his kids. The other was on a monohull back in the late 90's or early 2000s. Their boat was called something like Adventurer and they had a show on TV on like the discovery channel. I will see if I can dig that up.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:37   #15

Maxingout was an eye doctor. He posts here too.

Tags
family, sail, sailing