Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 02:18   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Sad rant about suddenly losing my slip :(

Sorry to hear of your problems Lizzy Belle.

Reminds me of a similar problem i had when i first got my boat and leased a slip. After the first year a new manager took over and suddenly announced that that they were changing the pens and price structure. The new structure would be based not on the size of your boat but the size of the pen. i was paying for my 36 foot boat but my pen was to be reclassified a 40 foot pen, which in the new price structure added another $1000 a year to the already $3500 i was paying. My boat was too big to go into the newly classified 34 foot pens. As i had a yesrly contract they couldnt kick me out for another three months. Some others were only on monthly contracts, which i didnt even know you could do.

The marina held a big meeting with the manager and owner and whilst they didn't win a lot they did get the price increased halved.

I couldnt go to the meeting, but i wrote a letter which didnt even get a response, so i left. Best thing i did, i moved to my own mooring. No good for liveaboards like you though.

Three years on and the marina is almost empty the only benefit to it is that it's smack dead in the middle of the central shopping area. But, mud is a huge problem. With my 1.9m draft i needed a high tide to come and go. Then its seven hours away from going sailing. So expecting customers to pay premium prices back fired from what was an almost full marina to now more vacant berths than boats. Karma
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 02:25   #32

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Side note as to the wifi: I have a wifi antenna, when I plug it in I can see a huge list of networks since we're surrounded by apartments. None of them is open tho. The amount of data and speed I need to work rules out using my phone, sadly. Not impossible, but it would cost me about what I make
I do not see a problem, only opportunity.

1. Depending on your computing operating system, download the appropriate program (such as inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 Download - TechSpot) or app that will quickly tell you the relative signal strength, the bands in use (2.4 GHz and/or 5GHz), and the encryption used by your surrounding apartment dwellers..

2. WEP encryption is a pushover; it used to be regarded as a 10 minute job. WPA and WPA2 used to be regarded as very much harder (24 hours), but the newer decrypt programs using the GPU instead of CPU mean that WPA/WPA2, long passwords, networks not displaying their SID, etc can all be decrypted in 10 hours.

3. Stay away from anonymous software and advisors, stick with well known software (Kali, Backtrack, Reaver) and authoritative user guides:

PC News

Lifehacker on WPA

Ars Technica

Lifehacker on WEP
Old 28-03-2016, 02:38   #33

Boat: Ohlson 29

The main issue we have is that there was NO communication whatsoever. We are now finding out about a new price structure, people having to move etc. etc.

I've talked to the manager, he is not interested in meeting with us to discuss the situation and see if we can work out some sort of solution we can all live with. If we have a problem, we have to go to our harbor master. Who just repeats the "you have all been informed completely and timely, this is the way thing are now" line and sends you on your way.

The thing is: we weren't informed. We get a newsletter once a year, around Xmas. I read it, and it had a happy notice stating the marina had been sold, and that we could now stay at any of the 5 marinas without paying extra. That was all.

Plenty of us, including me, asked if there were going to be changes, to which the answer was always "no, we don't expect any changes, and certainly not in the first year".

They didn't tell anyone about the new slips. They just changed the slip number on the invoice (which was late, we didn't get it until mid Feb). I hadn't even noticed the slip number - and as it turns out, most people didn't. There are still boat owners who don't know they have to move ...

The new price structure was "announced" by quietly changing the prices listed on the website. As if we all check that every couple of days

But even now more and more of us have figured out we have to check the website for the new price structure, we don't fully understand it.
It's unclear if the prices, listed per meter, are boat length or dock sizes. Our harbor master said slip length, but we only have a few sizes of slips and the prices list every single meter starting at 6 and going all the way up to 30 with a few missing for some reason.
The old system was length x width with a minimum of 80% of slip size.

Since finding out just what's changing and how many people are still unaware or (when they realize) 'not very happy', more and more people are deciding to file complaints and not move this week. I have said I won't be leaving either, to which the answer was "then we'll do it for you, and you can expect a bill for man hours, use of the tow boat etc. Moving is not optional, doing it yourself is".
Old 28-03-2016, 03:08   #34

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Wow...what a hassle...sorry for your trouble!

We are all backing you up! You have a lot of friends and fans here! Even ones you don't know! I am related to Frank and Winnie Verkade the chocolate and biscuit baron (now deceased)...have other friends in AMS/Zandam(sp)....wish I knew how to help!

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 03:19   #35

Lizzy.... how about installing a cable which runs from an existing wired dock connection ALONG THE BOTTOM under the water... and to the remote / across the bridge location they want you to move to? There are lots of cables placed in the water?

Of course you would need the correct one.... probably with some weights to sink it to the bottom... Conceptually it seems doable.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 04:42   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Lizzy.... how about installing a cable which runs from an existing wired dock connection ALONG THE BOTTOM under the water... and to the remote / across the bridge location they want you to move to? There are lots of cables placed in the water?

Of course you would need the correct one.... probably with some weights to sink it to the bottom... Conceptually it seems doable.
No need to mess with cables.

Nick's (Jedi's) solution is a simple wireless bridge which is far cheaper, simpler and more reliable. That entire end of the marina could be covered that way, because of course you can connect a normal AP at the client end of the bridge.

It will take a tiny bit of cooperation from the marina, but they get a concrete benefit -- they get WiFi coverage in part of the marina where many people will be unwilling to stay, which will be hurting their business.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 05:17   #37

Based on your description, you should have the legal right to leave claiming you renewed based on keeping your current slip with current amenities (ie: internet). Of course that doesn't help if you have no other marina to move to.

At best you are probably looking at a short term solution if you do get them to let you keep the slip.

The wifi bridge is probably your best bet. I you offer to pay for it and open it to others in the marina, they might agree as it benefits them in the long run.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 05:40   #38

Thanks so much for helping me look for a solution, much appreciated!

The problem with the internet is simple: every solution requires some sort of connection (obviously) to the marinas network.

The marina does not allow anyone to connect anything to their network, except for the cable from that slip's utility box on the dock to the pc/router on the boat.

There are 2 or 3 people in that part of the marina who have tried to get some sort of workable solution for a year now -- no dice. New owner has already stated this will not change.

One person uses a wife antenna (I have one too) to connect to the private wifi of a boat across from him, which works cos neither one of them is a heavy user. They just want to send the occasional email and browse a little every now and again. The guy connecting also doesn't mind the owner turns the router off when not aboard. Me, I require a bit more then that ...

Apart from the whole "no internet, no food" issue, I also don't want to move to that part because it's very lonely (two liveaboards after April 1st), you need a special access card for that gate (so no more spontaneous visits or chats on the dock) and it's a long walk to the showers and toilets. But, granted, if at least I could work there I'd probably move just to avoid the headaches I am in for now.
Old 28-03-2016, 05:45   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Thanks so much for helping me look for a solution, much appreciated!

The problem with the internet is simple: every solution requires some sort of connection (obviously) to the marinas network.

The marina does not allow anyone to connect anything to their network, except for the cable from that slip's utility box on the dock to the pc/router on the boat.

There are 2 or 3 people in that part of the marina who have tried to get some sort of workable solution for a year now -- no dice. New owner has already stated this will not change.

One person uses a wife antenna (I have one too) to connect to the private wifi of a boat across from him, which works cos neither one of them is a heavy user. They just want to send the occasional email and browse a little every now and again. Me, I require a bit more then that ...

Apart from the whole "no internet, no food" issue, I also don't want to move to that part because it's very lonely (two liveaboards after April 1st), you need a special access card for that gate (so no more spontaneous visits or chats on the dock) and it's a long walk to the showers and toilets. But, granted, if at least I could work there I'd probably move just to avoid the headaches I am in for now.
They are idiots to be so inflexible, concerning a nowadays life essential utility. Not having Internet is already like not having heat or electrical power, for many people (me too).

If you have cable Internet (DSL?) on the dock to individual boats, there will be a way to set up a bridge from one of those.

The easiest way would be to agree with one of the berthholders (or as someone above suggested, an apartment dweller nearby), to set up the bridge from their boat or apartment. You only need a small amount of power, and an Ethernet connection, so the device can be plugged into the person's router -- very simple.

If you offer to pay the monthly connection charge, I would think this would be an irresistible offer for someone. They would be getting free Internet just for hosting your little wifi bridge. A win win situation.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 28-03-2016, 07:11   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
They are idiots to be so inflexible, concerning a nowadays life essential utility. Not having Internet is already like not having heat or electrical power, for many people (me too).
I spoke to the new manager, he literally said 'no, we're not flexible, our rules are our rules'.

We're off to a wonderful start

I just emailed an official complaint and stated I will not be moving since I have a contract for this slip - but I am willing to discuss it and move to a smaller slip on this side of the marina IF they make sure there's shore power, internet and water all ready to go when I arrive.

Let the games begin ...
Old 28-03-2016, 07:37   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I spoke to the new manager, he literally said 'no, we're not flexible, our rules are our rules'.

I just emailed an official complaint and stated I will not be moving since I have a contract for this slip - but I am willing to discuss it and move to a smaller slip on this side of the marina IF they make sure there's shore power, internet and water all ready to go when I arrive.

Let the games begin ...
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is unlikely that you have a contract on a particular slip. Read your contract for sure. Carefully. All marina contracts I have ever seen give the owner the right to move you around as they like. What you should look for, however, is some requirement of a particular type of notice (this could be implied by law, also), or particular infrastructure (power, internet) which is mentioned as part of the deal.

If you want to go all legal on him, then you might have extensive rights based on the fact that this is your home and the mooring is rented as residential. This would kind of be the nuclear option, however, and you should think twice about using it, as it creates a strong incentive for them to stop offering live aboard moorings at all, in order not to deal with all the rights of actual residents.
Walt Whitman
Old 28-03-2016, 07:48   #42

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:

Let the games begin ...
Keep the paperwork you have that documents the contract you have for that slip.

To me that is what you have to stand on, and it is very solid.

If this were my situation I would contact my lawyer who is also a trusted friend and get his opinion.

One question. Is the new owner operating the marina under the same name and entity?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 08:05   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sad rant about suddenly losing my slip :(

Tread carefully Lizzy.. remember.. a lot of advice is coming from folks with strong 'Mud' affiliations.. and little Sea Gypsy experience.. a lawyer will gain you nothing but more expense.. and potentially expulsion..
As far as I can see your old contract.. even if it covered this.. which I doubt, has no solid footing with the new owners.. they are offering you another berth.. that it does not fit your personal needs is irrelevant.. they are not honour bound to meet someone else's contract.. in fact they can claim to be going out off their way to understand your difficulties.
I would suggest a negotiation to have WiFi and whatever you have in your current slip to be extended to the new berths.. an improvement to facilities being an asset to the marina as it makes these berth more desirable.. and less hassle with other long termers there.

Just my 0.0000001 centimes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 08:13   #44

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Tread carefully Lizzy.. remember.. a lot of advice is coming from folks with strong 'Mud' affiliations.. and little Sea Gypsy experience.. a lawyer will gain you nothing but more expense.. and potentially expulsion..
As far as I can see your old contract.. even if it covered this.. which I doubt, has no solid footing with the new owners.. they are offering you another berth.. that it does not fit your personal needs is irrelevant.. they are not honour bound to meet someone else's contract.. in fact they can claim to be going out off their way to understand your difficulties.
I would suggest a negotiation to have WiFi and whatever you have in your current slip to be extended to the new berths.. an improvement to facilities being an asset to the marina as it makes these berth more desirable.. and less hassle with other long termers there.

Just my 0.0000001 centimes..

Or this^^^. You have a contract and it is not worth the paper it is written on.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 08:18   #45

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I'm assuming you looked at options such as this;

https://www.skydsl.eu/en-NL/Internet-via-satellite

I've never looked into it, probably expensive as hell, but if you can write your expenses off of your taxes (as a business) it might not be so bad.

Just adding to the group think.
A wise man once said; never take advice from a goat.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote