Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 05:16   #106

Re: Sad rant about suddenly losing my slip :(

With all due respect... Lizzy needs to do work and probably not in a bar or a mall with all manner of distractions.

She needs to find a connectivity solution at her boat in a berth that is affordable along with the berth itself.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:26   #107
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sad rant about suddenly losing my slip :(

With all due respect Lizzy needs to find short term solutions till she can get her situation sorted out.. as to distractions.. if one can't concentrate on ones work then one is not a very good worker.
There's some gorgeous butts cruise the malls and promenades the bars are on but red blooded male or not.. Priorities are priorities.. food and shelter are more important than 'Leg Over' any day..
However.. Priorities vary for some intellects..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:32   #108

Boat: Ohlson 29

Haha, true, walking all over the city with my laptop isn't going to help.

The assistant harbor master just came by for a chat, he promised me he'd help me get out of that horrible spot. He also disagrees with putting a liveaboard there (he's a liveaboard himself, the head harbor master isn't).

The assistant did confirm the whole idea of moving boats around and copying a marina arrangement from one marina to another without taking into consideration how different they are does not make for a smooth transition. Neither does not informing people and just springing it on them. They're buried in complaints and received a lot of cancellations for next year (due to new prices and unwanted slip arrangements).

He has also found an internet solution, and he's trying hard to contact the owners of the abandoned boats that are there, so my neighbors won't be derelict boats but either guests or empty slips.

So -- help has arrived, haha! Looks like it'll take some patience and keeping the pressure on the 'big boss' for a bit. He must have figured I'd be a pushover, being a girl and all ... (yes, he is that type).
Old 01-04-2016, 05:46   #109
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sad rant about suddenly losing my slip :(

Grand news Lizzy.. fingers and toes crossed for ya..
Re the walking around.. good exercise and beats the hell out of sitting around sobbing.. VOE there..

PS: not saying that's you by the way..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:49   #110

Maybe with a question or two from a news reporter...

"big boss" might back down and scuttle back up his own crack like that cockroach Trump?

unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02   #111
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Many, many marinas!

But marinas where liveaboards are allowed ... very, very few. It's mostly a legal issue; the laws are making it harder and harder and in turn, so do the towns / municipalities where marinas are located and the marinas themselves.

We're contacting all of them (both where we'd just be tolerated to the few that actually allow it), so far it looks like there is one with slips for us (I'm not the only one looking for another marina).

We've already paid for the coming 12 months and there's no money back, so we have time to look around ...

I can't just decide to go cruising now - no budget, a kid to take care of ...
How old is your child? And does s/he live with the father? You didn't mention a child aboard so I'm figuring the child is not with you.

Once you start wandering/voyaging, you'll find that you can readily stay aboard in those marinas that do NOT allow liveaboards. If it's anything like in the USA, it works out if you make a reservation for a month but make it CLEAR that you're a traveller. And stick to it. Keep moving. You get the monthly rate, often you don't pay a liveaboard fee even though liveaboards would normally have to. The key is to keep moving. All sorts of opportunities open up if you're able to move at all.

Your large usage for work wifi situation is a familiar one to my husband and I. We work online with two internet intensive activities: one is our marketplace (we operate it so others can sell their boating related wares on our site--many of our sellers are cruisers by the way...) that sucks up some bandwidth sometimes and the other is a variety of data science gigs. On the second thing, part of that work sometimes involves medical image analysis and prototyping (aboard boat) firmware for various scientific camera and imaging systems -- that means uploading and downloading very large data sets. Even when it's not image-based sometimes the datasets are monstrously huge. We now do a lot of analysis on AWS "the cloud" for big datasets and occasional upload/download of small portions is spendy when you're using phone-plan-based internet.

We have two phone company based plans for internet, one old and slow but cheap and useful for bulk file transfers, the other new and costly but what gets used for web surf. We're in a marina now and basking in the wonder of having super high speed unlimited internet access -- but the norm for us even when in a marina is to use our own costly internet access. A high usage month for us is something like 40GB. More typical is 20GB. To minimize internet use other than work, we don't watch videos, we turn off ALL flash and have blockers on our browsers so nothing loads in the background etc. When you mention how much internet you use per month it makes me think that you've not blocked the ads and flash and you've got videos running either on purpose watching or within some of the sites you visit. Nix all that. Make a habit of reducing the bandwidth you use so that you will be able to travel even if your work requires hefty use of the internet. If you skype with folks -- and it's not on your smartphone -- then use the voice only rather than the video feature. Many places don't have the best of internet wifi so cutting back now will help you a lot as you travel.

Can't wait to hear about you child--is it possible for him/her to travel with you?

Budget--cruising can be expensive if you keep breaking boat parts (seems to be part of the gig) but here in the USA marinas tend to be costly so we've found traveling quite affordable if we stay out of marinas. It's worth it to just take off if you can and become a sailing digital nomad

Best of luck!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:16   #112

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

LizzyBelle, good to hear you've got some movement toward a solution. I hope the Assistant Dockmaster can come through for you. Hopefully this storm will pass.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 17:54   #113

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Why, Lizzy Belle, this is just sounding better and better. Like Boatie wrote, keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.

And may the good luck continue!