Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 22:55   #31

He is going to get some armchair commando and his family killed one day. I can totally see some over weight dumb a$$ get stuck in the snow after taking a wrong turn and turning to his wife saying "trust me. I saw Bear Grylls do this" right before he falls off the side of a mountain.
AKCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:17   #32
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
What really needs to be contolled is Bear Grylls and his ilk, the Former Navy Seals, and "adventurers" on the discovery channel.....Some with that screechy overacted British Accent...or the hushy/husky/"this is dangerous stiff that will kill you voice.

I timed several of the shows.

They open......go to commercial....come back and rehash what they just said and then eadd a little bit......go to commercial....come back rehash what they just said and show the same film bits 3 or 4 times.......if it is an hour show it is tedious......
Total film time 22 minutes for an hour show...rehash bits 30 minutes......

I watched him in the Florida Everglades...supposedly in the middle of nowhere.....I was at THAT VISITORS CENTER in the National Park......He was about 50 feet from the road. Acting about how dangerous it is....blech!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chief, that 'screechy overacted british accent' is probably Baer's real voice (he's former SAS not Seal)
But yes the Florida episode is where he was found to be staying and dining at a 5 star hotel when he was suposedly sleeping tied to a tree with his shoe laces in the swamp or some such BS.
How dangerous can it really be when you have a camera man, sound man, producer, make-up artist etc. 4 feet from where you are standing.
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 20:05   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I know Grylls was SAS, I was refrering to the "Baldy" who does Futureweapons on the Military Channel.......There are only a couple ways you can blow stuff up...shoot an automatic weapon.......They have all this hype for one action and then repeat it till your eyes bleed.
It is nothing more than voiceover of file footage from DoD for the most part.

There was a show on last night about the demolition of the (I believe) defunct Club Med near St. George Bermuda.....after 40 minutes (20 of which were original) they showed the implosion at least 20 times. I counted them poking the same sticks of dynamite and cutting the sticks down 15 times each. I mean really, we are not that stupid....we don't have some type of attention disorder.

The best show lately is the guy who showcases a different kind of train each week
other than his yelling.....it is spot on. My Grandad was an Engineer with the Illinois Central back in the days of steam
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska