Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2009, 20:44   #1

Boat: Cal 34
Disappointed

Man, I'm bummed. Console me. Heh.

I've been looking for a good liveaboard cruiser for a little while and I've committed to the idea of prepping my life to living on a boat.

I finally found the perfect boat. Exactly what I wanted, almost to the letter. For a price that was almost impossibly low. Dang.

I called the guy and he didn't answer. Turns out he didn't answer because he was taking an offer on the other line.

Missed my boat by a few minutes.

sigh.

Maybe there will be another in a few weeks or a month. Rent here in the inland states costs me $800 per month and the weather is going to start to turn chilly in the next few weeks. I want a boat! But i don't want an anchor. (I mean I don't want a fiberglass anchor).

On my budget, it's difficult. :-)

Next time, eh?

Grrr
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 20:49   #2

Hmmmm... what about this one?

30" sailboat
Old 27-08-2009, 21:37   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Never fear. There is always another boat.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 21:44   #4

Off topic, but your boat gives me goosebumps.

Of course, I was born in the 1980s, so I'm still trying to find my passage. :-)

I hope I get lucky, because I sure work hard..... and I've heard it takes some of both.
Old 28-08-2009, 02:02   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Hobie,

Tell us about the boat that you just missed. Maybe a forum member can find another for you if you don't come up with one soon.

The Newports have one of the largest interiors I've seen for a 30 foot boat. Quality of build is not wonderful but ok and some had blister problems. The Atomic 4 if cared for properly is an ok inboard but is gas and gas can be dangerous if fumes are allowed to collect below decks.

Hang in there the right boat will come along. Don't jump at one that doesn't quite meet your needs.

regards
Old 28-08-2009, 11:10   #6

1975 30' ISLANDER MK II SAILBOAT - LOADED WITH ELECTRONICS AND GEAR

$8500

* WHEEL STEERING WITH TILLER OPTION
* 2 CYL VOLVO DIESEL, 22 GAL SS FUEL TANK, 1/2 GAL PER HR @ 5KNTS
* SLEEPS 6 EASILY - V BERTH, DOUBLE IN CABIN, QUARTER BERTH , 6' 2" + HEADROOM.
* WELL EQUIPPED GALLEY INCLUDES: PROPANE STOVE, 12V/110V FRIDGE/FREEZER, SS SINK, 25 G WATER.TANK
* COMPLETELY REFITTED HEAD - HOLDING TANK WITH MACERATER, ALL NEW HOSES, SS SINK WITH VANITY.
* COMPLETE ELECTRICAL REFIT - 110 & 12V, NEW PANELS, FANS, LIGHTING, 2 40' SHORE POWER CORDS
* AMPLE BATTERY POWER AND METERING - NEWER MARINE GRADE GLASS PACKS, 3 ENGINE, 2 FOR HOUSE,
CHARGER , ELECTRONIC MONITORING OF BATTERY BANKS - CURRENT CHARGE, DRAW, PROJECTED LENGTH OF
CHARGE, ETC.
* ENOUGH ELECTRONICS TO CIRCUMNAVIGATE THE GLOBE! - AUTO PILOT, GPS CHARTPLOTTER, RADAR, RADAR
REFLECTOR, VHF , STEREO WITH COCKPIT AND CABIN SPEAKERS. SEPARATE DEPTH, WIND, AND KNOT METERS
* EVERY LIGHT WORKS - FULL RUNNING LIGHTS,TRICOLOR MASTHEAD, ANCOR, STEAMING, FORDECK.
* EXCELLENT SAIL INVENTORY - EXCELLENT MAIN ON LAZY JACKS, SPARE MAIN, 1 YEAR OLD JIB ON FURLER, 2 GOOD
SPARE JIBS, SPINNAKER WITH POLE AND GEAR.
* UPGRADED WINCHES - 2 LEWMAR 2 SPEED SELF TAILERS (COCKPIT), SELF TAILER ON CABINTOP, 2 SINGLE SPD ON MAST
* NEW STANDING RIGGING
* RUNNING RIGGING - LINES LED AFT TO COCKPIT,ALL LINES AND RIGGING NEWER OR GOOD , LOTS OF EXTRA NEW LINE
& GEAR, PREVENTERS, CUNNINGHAM AND REEFING SYSTEMS.
* REFITTED HULL - ALL NEW THROUGH HULL, VALVES AND LINES,MANUAL & ELEC BIDGE PUMPS, INTEGRAL KEEL
(NO KEEL BOLTS TO RUST),2 COATS BOTTOM PAINT - GOOD FOR 2 YEARS, BOTTOM CLEANED MONTHLY
* SUPER DELUXE GROUND TACKLE PACKAGE - DOUBLE SS BOW ROLLERS, 800# MAXWELL 12V ELEC WINDLASS WITH
DECK AND COCKPIT CONTROLS. BOW 20# BRUCE ON 100' 5/16 BBB CHAIN & 250' RODE,STERN
20# DANFORTH ON 60' 5/16 & 200'+ RODE.
* EXCELLENT CANVAS - MAINSAIL , WINCHES. BINNACLE, COCKPIT ENCLOSURE,OUTBOARD.DODGER FRAME.
* SAFETY EQUIPMENT - 2 FIRE EXTINGUISHERS, FLARES , MOB RING, 4 PFD'S, SS FOLDING BOARDING LADDER,
* BOMB PROOF FIBERGLASS DINGY AND 4 HP BRITTISH SEAGULL OUTBOARD, 2 OARS
* OTHER EQUIPMENT/FEATURES - 4 FENDERS,TEAK COCKPIT TABLE, SS STERN BOOM AND HOIST, SPARE TILLER, ROD
HOLDERS, CHARTS, LOTS OF EXTRA GEAR.

Only thing I would have changed is the addition of a solar panel and a heavier main anchor for spending some time on the hook this winter in SoCal.

Hard to beat this deal....
Old 28-08-2009, 11:12   #7

Hah, and the boat just came back up on craigslist. The new owner is selling a partnerships in the boat for $6k

Healthy profit. *sigh*
Old 28-08-2009, 11:16   #8
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieFan View Post
Hah, and the boat just came back up on craigslist. The new owner is selling a partnerships in the boat for $6k

Healthy profit. *sigh*
That's because he spent his money on the boat and has nothing left to do the refit an $8500 boat requires. $6000 sounds about right.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 11:19   #9
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
This at least speaks to the sail inventory, whereas the Newport did not. It also has a diesel and has been upgreaded to ST primary winches. It will likely not sail as well as the C&C designed Newport, but she does seem to be very good value for the money. Certainly worth a look-see.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 11:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
That's because he spent his money on the boat and has nothing left to do the refit an $8500 boat requires. $6000 sounds about right.
What refit does that Islander require in your opinion?

(The islander is the boat I missed out on, FYI)

I'm interested because I need to know what to expect.

I've looked at plenty of boats in that price range that were definite fixer-uppers, but this one didn't seem that way.

Since I'm shopping for a similar boat, I'd like to know what you think should be done after a purchase.

I'm on an extremely limited budget. :-)

Thanks
Old 28-08-2009, 11:43   #11

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Hobie

What kind of sailing are you planning on doing? Area? If you just plan to island hop to get your feet wet then I would not recommend a blue water boat until you know more about what you would like in a boat. Since this will be your first cruising boat then you may want to start with a simple boat with simple systems. Then when you decide to take that world cruise you will have a better knowledge of what you will want and need. There are plenty of sailboats that could island hop for $8000 or less. Try sailingtexas.com, ebay, yachtworld.com.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:07   #12

All under 10K and diesel: 1976 Albin 30 Scampi MK IV Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
1972 Yankee MKI Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1979 Pearson 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
There are more listings 10k-15k inthe 30 -32ft range. Those are probably negotiable to 10K
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 13:18   #13
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I think everything is negotiable these days. If it were me, I'd offer 70% of the asking price and see what happens... you can always increase the offer.

As to what that boat needs? How do I know? But in general, engine rebuilds or replacement are common, as is gutting the interior and starting over... considering he was forced to do the head. It could have soft decks. He said the hull is good... but is it painted? It could be any of these things or all of them.

It's a boat...
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 14:13   #14

I have done a number of charters in my life. Mostly on the great lakes but also out to Catalina. I have also handled a number of 30-50' power boats. I have been sailing And driving (singlehanded) smaller boats Regularly since I was about 9. I am looking for a liveaboard that I can get my bearings on coastal waters and with more complex systems and some boat maintinance.

I want a boat that can handle moorage in Santa Barbara which is fairly exposed in the winter.

The islander seemed like a good kit. I don't have thousands to sink into repairs immediately after the purchase but have good cashflow for ongoing maintinance.

Also, I need the boat to be in the southern Cali area as that is where I will need to be for work.

Thanks for all the input!!

I need a boat that isn't in a "no bottom paint for 4 years" condition. But "needs ongoing tlc" is ok.

Make sense? I hope it's rational.
Old 28-08-2009, 15:01   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I think its rational. Good luck in your search. I'm certain you've done homework as to the cost of keeping it in a slip or on a mooring.
regards