Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 17:04   #16

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
We wear our tennis shoes when the wind dies nothing like a good set or two to round off an afternoon just another advantage of owning a catamaran although we only have room for half court tennis once the jibs furled and usually we wear a thong sometimes two as theres plenty washed up on the beach.For you people not from Aussieland i dont mean a la Borat these ones we stick on our feet.Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 17:09   #17

LOL, I love those images Jdoe and Mark!! Nice additions!!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 17:24   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I am a lover of Crocs.
I have been wearing them for years and years, since they were just beginning to be sold somewhere other than the Keys.
I would be a distributer but the owner would not give me a d-ship because I did not have an "already established retail outlet."
Boy has that pissed me off to no end. I have sold by word of mouth many many pair.
Oh well.

But remember this; When the soles wear down (sometimes rapidly, think concrete) they will be dangerously slippery.

FYI.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 18:28   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I am surprised where this thread has gone! I just wanted a place to buy shoes! Having big feet shoes are not cheap anyway, but I do like deck shoes and I am willing to pay what I must to have them. I must say that the selection is quite small for those of us that are footware challenged! Now maybe I should look into a Navy blazer!
Old 02-01-2008, 18:31   #20

How are crocs for the skin on the top of your feet?? My skin seems to be really sensitive and I keep thinking that having raw rubber rubbing against the skin on top will cause irritation or blisters??

Am I way off here?? I've seen them but never tried one on..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 20:09   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
How are crocs for the skin on the top of your feet??
Can't say what they would do for you.
I have not heard anyone complain about that particular problem.
I have not had any "raw spots" at any time.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 20:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
How are crocs for the skin on the top of your feet?? My skin seems to be really sensitive and I keep thinking that having raw rubber rubbing against the skin on top will cause irritation or blisters??

Am I way off here?? I've seen them but never tried one on..
Crocs are seriously the best shoes ever made. They're not perfect for everything (weddings, mountain climbing, ice skating, etc), but as an all around shoe, especially near the water, they are perfect.

I've gotten maybe 2-3 blisters on my feet in the two years I've worn them, but only when I was doing a lot of work in salt water, sweating a lot, and just being overall gross. I keep a bandaid in my wallet these days, regardless of the types of shoes that I own.

Another benefit to crocs is that your feet are very healthy because of the anti fungal aspects. I have chronics athelete's foot, and with my crocs, I *never* have a problem.

They are absolutely the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 22:39   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
What I learned about shoes this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
I am surprised where this thread has gone! I just wanted a place to buy shoes! Having big feet shoes are not cheap anyway, but I do like deck shoes and I am willing to pay what I must to have them. I must say that the selection is quite small for those of us that are footware challenged! Now maybe I should look into a Navy blazer!
What I learned about shoes this year...

Everyone has a different preference. My kid wears Croc thongs (not the clogs). I hate them. I hate them for the fact they are 30 bucks when I can get him shower thongs for $2. But he has a mom and you know how that goes...

Bare feet works until you have to go to a wet foredeck in a pitching boat. We had a spinnaker halyard wrap on the furler in 25 kts on Tuesday. I was "barefootin'" and nearly slid off the deck trying to clear it. Lesson learned. Need grippy shoes.

I have sailing boots. Gills. Great grip for the boat, great for dinghy's. Look goofy when on the boat. Only wear them racing now.

I tried tennis shoes - not as good a grip as the Gills. 2 weeks later - super stinky feet. My shoes were banned from the boat by the crew.

Finally broke down and asked for Sobago Docksides for Christmas. Great shoe, great fit, great grip and no stink. They have broken in well and are very soft. No they are not just for the nautical look in my opinion.

They have them in sizes up to 16W on their website. They also have 14WW

Sebago - Category - Mens Footwear

Docksides here

Sebago - Docksides

A also bought my boat partner a pair of the "Plunge" looking ones (his are the Gill equivalent) and he loves them. They are all webbing with a great sole. I will be getting myself a pair of these as well.

Sebago - Plunge

PS - I "LOVE" the dunlop canvas tennis shoes. Wore them excusively as a kid in Oz - memories <sigh>
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:31   #24

Boat: Catalina 30
I like Crocks around town and on the beach but not on deck of sailboats or in dinghy...too easy for me to be clumsy and slip or turn my ankle or get the Crock caught on something...

I get a new pair of these Sperry's every year...it's a tradition so I always have 2 or 3 "downlevel" pairs that are painting or "yard" shoes

Surprised nobody has mentioned Keens:
Keen Footwear
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:58   #25

Boat: 44 footer
Anyone tried these?

I can't wait for these to become more readily available. I'm not going to drive half way across the state, or buy shoes over the internet...

Vibram Five Fingers: Discover the Barefooting Alternative

They've also got insulated ones!

(I haven't tried them yet, but when I'm on board I'm barefoot.)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:07   #26

Well those will sure serve as interesting ice breakers ( and likely toe breakers as well) in the local bar heheheh

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Are those what people use to make Bigfoot prints? They look painful. Ouch!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 14:13   #28

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Gunner,

It's really strange what topics end up having the longest threads.
Old 03-01-2008, 14:35   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
It sure is. But I love it! Even though the thread is somewhat off topic I have learned quite a bit.
Old 03-01-2008, 15:00   #30

Boat: Beneteau 42CC Oceanis Clipper- "Ida Lou"
Send a message via AIM to thegun
Try this vendor for good size and width choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
WissotaTrader.com - Home

Check out their athletic shoes for possible wear on deck. I have a very narrow foot, and this is about the only place I can find shoes that fit.