Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: A go or no go?
PWC Trip ok to do. 35 47.30%
You should buy a sailboat instead 40 54.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 13:30   #61

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 countries!

Oh, you might also want to research the Mona Passage. That passage regularly kicks the **** out of 40'+ sailboats. You'll have to go through it to get from PR to the DR.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 13:54   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

I have done two motorcycle rallies (alcan 5000) on a 650cc dual sport, 9 days 4000-5000 miles, so I have some experience with long distance multi-day stuff. We were fully supported, in that if you broke down, somebody would be along at some point.

I cannot stress enough that what you think will work, and what will work in reality WILL be different. 1st ralley experience as an example, I had a heated jacket liner, that plugged into the motorcycle. Easy, right? Well, I needed to stand up throughout the day. Guess what? the plug was not only too short, but it was near impossible to re-plug with one hand. I made an extension from parts at a Canadian Tire in Whitehorse, but if I came unplugged while riding, it would take me 20 minutes to get the damn thing back in. Second rally, I switched to a photo plug type setup with a longer extension that I could reach and see while riding.

So you need to test EVERY aspect of you planned adventure before you leave. This includes all of you gear, equipment and procedures. Test more than once, different days, different conditions. Get other people to check all of this over, and listen to their advice.

Oh, and do it in a sailboat.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 13:56   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
An average of 30 miles offshore doesn't do you any good on that 109 mile passage from the DR to the Turks and Caicos. Range on a hand-held VHF might be 10 miles if you're lucky.
Tell you what. If you're dead-set on doing this trip, pick a day where the winds are blowing 20kts. Drive that jet ski straight offshore until you run out of gas. Fill it back up with gas from your jerry cans and then ride the jet ski back in. See if you still think this trip is a good idea.
I never said this trip was without its challenges. How to over come them...?
PWC riders who don't use jerrycans run into all kinds of hassles with their non stock tanks like seals ending up in the fuel pump and such. I liked the idea of the jerrycans because they could be easily toted to get more fuel. I see that fueling would be difficult (and more necessary) in rough conditions. This makes me think that a custom tank in the front compartment is worth more investigation. Plus it would not need another pump keeping it simple. I will need more fuel than that however. Perhaps the idea of using the hydro trailer is a good one???? Might require a pump though if the fuel is kept in the bottom of the trailer. I wonder what the drag would be. The website says it doesnt cause any loss in performance but....I'm not sure I believe them. Guess I will have to pretest this one

I understand that there is quite alot of traffic during whale season between DR and Turks does anyone know when this is..Maybe I can follow one of them.
halsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 13:58   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I wouldn't presume that Search & Rescue response will be the same as in US waters throughout your trip. Could vary from better , to "who gives a sh#t?"
anyone have any experience with this in the Caribbean?
Old 27-04-2011, 14:02   #65

[QUOTE=witzgall;675759]I have done two motorcycle rallies (alcan 5000) on a 650cc dual sport, 9 days 4000-5000 miles, so I have some experience with long distance multi-day stuff. We were fully supported, in that if you broke down, somebody would be along at some point.

I cannot stress enough that what you think will work, and what will work in reality WILL be different. 1st ralley experience as an example, I had a heated jacket liner, that plugged into the motorcycle. Easy, right? Well, I needed to stand up throughout the day. Guess what? the plug was not only too short, but it was near impossible to re-plug with one hand. I made an extension from parts at a Canadian Tire in Whitehorse, but if I came unplugged while riding, it would take me 20 minutes to get the damn thing back in. Second rally, I switched to a photo plug type setup with a longer extension that I could reach and see while riding.

So you need to test EVERY aspect of you planned adventure before you leave. This includes all of you gear, equipment and procedures. Test more than once, different days, different conditions. Get other people to check all of this over, and listen to their advice.

....Sounds like great advise...thanks

Other than you guys who would you have look at this? I have posted on PWC forums but most people dont have the experience.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:11   #66

MONA PASSAGE FERRY...Not sure they would be of much help???
Old 27-04-2011, 14:17   #67

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Re: Caribbean CRUISING ON A JET SKI-24 countries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post

NEW PWC's like the Yamaha VXR are 4 stroke and much more environmentally friendly than in the past. And I will get 7mpg, better than sailors here having to turn their engines on.
Hell, I drive a boat with a two-stroke OMC saildrive. When it's on, it is a real stinkpot. I can't throw any brickbats at anyone in terms of putting junk into the environment.

I think the point was noise. And I dunno if such anything as a quiet jetski exists. Certainly, the ones around here make their surroundings horrible.

That said (and I haven't read the whole thread, so this may be covered) you need to consider that some of that at least will be open water, with the corresponding risk of big water and high winds. At a minimum, you need a support boat.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 14:31   #68

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I would definitely NOT call it cruising. Calling it a crucible would be an understatement. Nevertheless, I think it is cr... .

I wonder how old you are and what your boating experience is.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:35   #69

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

It is not going to be fun when your jetski breaks down. Plan accordingly. (Paddles and sails are necessary, as well as parts, tools, and a way to contact help.)
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 14:40   #70

You are not exempt from USCG documentation of your vessel, you are ineligible because it doesn't meet the minimum size requirement.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:42   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I would definitely NOT call it cruising. Calling it a crucible would be an understatement. Nevertheless, I think it is cr... .

I wonder how old you are and what your boating experience is.
I'm 35.

My water history has room for improvement but is the following:

I currently own 2 jetski's one is a sporty 650. Haven't yet done much cruising with them but will do some build up trips this summer.
Lap swimmer
Former Sailing Instructor (albeit American Red Cross) of 16' Cape Cod Mercury's
Former White water Raft Guide in West Virginia
PADI: Diver Open Water
Ocean and river kayaker (10 years) have done white water kayaking though I can roll in decent conditions being upside down in a boat kinda freaks me out. Would rather go down rapids on a kick board than be stuck in a plastic death trap
Did a little surfing in Hawaii
Old 27-04-2011, 14:51   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
You are not exempt from USCG documentation of your vessel, you are ineligible because it doesn't meet the minimum size requirement.
Forgive my ignorance...What does that mean? What documentation will in need at customs for the PWC other than my passport? I can bring bill of sale? Perhaps I should get a letter from local coast guard station? They suggested I get this trip cleared with the STATE DEPT. I contacted them but heard nothing back. USCG concern was this type of vessel is particularly useful in drug trafficking. They suggested I carry a radar reflector.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:54   #73

Halsar, you should have state registration. I've heard that some countries might not be happy with that, however.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:55   #74

Old 27-04-2011, 14:57   #75
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Well, you have to give halsar credit for asking the right questions on a forum where at least some members have actually plied these waters, and for keeping a level head in spite of some rather disparaging and condescending remarks.

I really don't think this adventure would be impossible. Challenging, yes--very challenging! How about trying to get a consensus on what the most challenging aspects would be, rather than just saying, "don't do it, you'll die!"

Here are a few...

The ability of the Skidoo to bash into 6-8' waves
How to get weather forecasts enroute
Re-fueling enroute in rough conditions
Engine failure and repair options
Communications when in need of rescue
The human body's capacity for tolerating the physical abuse on long crossings
How to find somewhere to sleep after a passage
What kind of documentation does he need for clearing in on the islands

Other issues?

p.s. having a chase boat would solve most of these issues! Is that possible, halsar?

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, jet ski, pwc, record, caribbean