Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: A go or no go?
PWC Trip ok to do. 35 47.30%
You should buy a sailboat instead 40 54.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 14:57   #76

Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 countries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Halsar, you should have state registration. I've heard that some countries might not be happy with that, however.
Right I will have state registration...What do I need so they will be happy?
halsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:01   #77
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

That and your passport should do it for most islands. The French islands may hassle you, though. Take your state title as well.
Old 27-04-2011, 15:12   #78

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Halsar, I don't know about other countries, but the USCG may terminate your attempt if it finds you and determines you are on a "manifestly unsafe voyage." See page three under the sections Termination of Use and Prohibition to Sail - Manifestly Unsafe Voyage here:
http://www.uscg.mil/d1/prevention/Na...nforcement.PDF

Best not to make your start in USA waters.
Old 27-04-2011, 15:25   #79

Thanks for your reply.

I really don't think this adventure would be impossible. Challenging, yes--very challenging! How about trying to get a consensus on what the most challenging aspects would be, rather than just saying, "don't do it, you'll die!"

Here are a few...

The ability of the Skidoo to bash into 6-8' waves
This will be most challenging. Seadoo has just come out with a watercraft built on a snowmobile suspension system to help mitigate impact injury using a suspended deck on struts/springs. This may be more ideal...Might also be more crap to go wrong...I favor KISS. (Keep it Simple.....)

How to get weather forecasts enroute
? Could use some help here. Looks like XM WEATHER is not going to work here
Re-fueling enroute in rough conditions
One other thought is they do have conveyance pumps
Engine failure and repair options
Yep some ideas here would be great
Communications when in need of rescue
IS my idea of the PLB better than the EPIRB? based on my former discussion
The human body's capacity for tolerating the physical abuse on long crossings
The "Count" who crossed the Atlantic was instructed to not sit as continued pounding would cause spinal compression. Is there a time of year like hurricane season that will have calmer seas?
How to find somewhere to sleep after a passage
Could the sailing community provide berth? My story might be sufficient compensation in exchange
What kind of documentation does he need for clearing in on the islands
passport, state registration, what else?

Support Boat
If a support boat is needed I'd need to find someone who is interested in helping participate in this effort. I cannot afford a navy. The guys who attempted to PWC from London to Auckland found someone building a Catemeran that was interested. Due to some complexity it didn't work out. I'm hoping for perhaps matching up with others on difficult legs. I know a sailboat goes about 7knots. Maybe the could follow to "pickup the pieces" and provide support. Or follow some motor Yacht for difficult passages....?

Supported and unsupported trips are categorized differently in world records. From BVI North these were done by the "Count" and his support vessel.
Old 27-04-2011, 15:30   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Halsar, I don't know about other countries, but the USCG may terminate your attempt if it finds you and determines you are on a "manifestly unsafe voyage." See page three under the sections Termination of Use and Prohibition to Sail - Manifestly Unsafe Voyage here:
http://www.uscg.mil/d1/prevention/Na...nforcement.PDF

Best not to make your start in USA waters.
I have been in contact with the coast guard and they have reviewed my trip. No unauthorization/termination has been suggested. Only proper preparations.

PROHIBITION TO SAIL -
MANIFESTLY UNSAFE VOYAGE
Under the authority of 46 United States Code 4302 and
4308, the Commandant, U. S. Coast Guard has authorized
the District Commander to prohibit the voyage of any
vessel if he determines that said craft is unsuitable for the
intended trip. His determination will be based upon the
design, condition and outfitting of the vessel in relation to
what the District Commander deems necessary for a safe
voyage. Operator competency is NOT a factor in the final
determination. If a manifestly unsafe ruling is issued, the
voyage is terminated and the vessel will be prevented from
getting underway. The person making the voyage may
appeal
Old 27-04-2011, 15:35   #81

I saw a tv documentary on a group of guys that rode sea doo's from alaska to russia and back. The details are fuzzy, they could not set foot on russian soil, they got a hundred yards from the beach and turned around. They might have had a support boat, again, the details are fuzzy, you probably know all about it.

I'm all for you making this trip! I think it would be a blast!

Your average 60 mile hop will take 3 hours or less (ave 20mph), not bad, I wouldn't have a support boat for those but the long 105+ mile trip in rough seas you might want to do it on a day where a bunch of sailors are going in your direction and coordinate with them.

This sounds like a piece of cake to me except just a few legs. With an average hop of 3 hours you don't need to pull up weather forecast on the fly, double and triple check right before you leave.

I remember when the first guy rode from miami to bimini, now it seems like thousands of people have made that trip and farther, I wish I could find the blog about the two guys that cruised all through the bahamas on sea doos staying at hotels / marinas.

When I was 29 I rode my 3 man kawasaki 1100 from Kansas City to St. Louis (missouri river) with a big group of people for a radio station charity fundraiser, it was a blast, we had two refueling stations and a bus and truck trailer to take us back to KC after. Nothing like the open ocean but it was one of the best adventures I have had and I have had a lot of them btw.

You need to make a video about this, mount go pro hd cams on your sea doo.

Chip
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:42   #82

Here is a link to the writers blog that went on the sea doo trip to russia, shoot him an email and tell him what your doing, he wil give you some pointers for production a documentary about it. Stephen Weir Articles: To Russia and back on a Sea Doo - Soviet guns pointed our way - boating magazine adventure feature
Old 27-04-2011, 15:46   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I looked at the July, August and Sept pilot charts for the Caribbean. From Aruba east to the Windward Islands show >90% of the time winds from the E, NE or SE. Average force 4 (13-17 mph), waves 3-6', calm weather only 0-3% of the time.

Unless you get really lucky with the weather the starting leg is going to kick your butt or you're going to spend a lot of time waitng for a good day to go.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:54   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Here is a link to the writers blog that went on the sea doo trip to russia, shoot him an email and tell him what your doing, he wil give you some pointers for production a documentary about it. Stephen Weir Articles: To Russia and back on a Sea Doo - Soviet guns pointed our way - boating magazine adventure feature
Funny I have talked briefly with him. His Name is Tim M... He is the US Seadoo media rep. This trip was apparently no big deal to him or he didn't want to talk with me about it. he said..."that was along time ago" In seeking sponsorship he has deferred me to his boss Marc... Who is the International Media Rep for Seadoo. They claim to be focused on pushing SEADOO internationally. I hope they sponsor me. I'm going to see if the hydro-trailer company will sponsor me. Their rep is going to contact me tomorrow to discuss the details. I will keep everybody up to date on sponsorships if I get any. I'm determined to do this thing come hell or..... We'll you know. I am here to find information to make it most feasible and comefortable and perhaps even enjoyable
Old 27-04-2011, 16:04   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I looked at the July, August and Sept pilot charts for the Caribbean. From Aruba east to the Windward Islands show >90% of the time winds from the E, NE or SE. Average force 4 (13-17 mph), waves 3-6', calm weather only 0-3% of the time.

Unless you get really lucky with the weather the starting leg is going to kick your butt or you're going to spend a lot of time waitng for a good day to go.
It has been strongly suggested that perhaps I start in Trinidad. Funny this was my first though too but wasted to snatch up a few more countries to maintain world record. I actually could start in Trinidad and be ok - could also make a jont to Venezuela fairly easily too..If there is a clearing port around.???
Old 27-04-2011, 16:05   #86

FYI Powerboat TV is the show that aired the documentary I saw, you need to try to see if it is online, it was a great show!

I'd stay at every island for a few days if I were you

Best of luck with this!
Old 27-04-2011, 16:07   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Does it appear that those summer months might be the best conditions to make this attempt?
Old 28-04-2011, 05:28   #88

Still need help in the following areas...

Need help in the following problem areas:

1. Way to have 20 gallons fuel supplied in addition to the stock 18 gallons. Jerry cans would be ideal except to difficult to add during 6-8' waves. Custom tanks have caused other PWCers problems with seals getting into the fuel pump.

Any good fuel container options?

2. BOAT SUPPORT.Longest leg about 109 miles from DR to Turks. Average crossing distance 60 miles. Anyone have any ideas on how to buddy up with other boaters as to have a support boat in proximity should pwc have breakdown.

3. Communication in need or rescue. Will a PLB and handheld vhf with separate antenna provide enough communication, range of communication? Will also have flares, dye and mirror

4. How to find somewhere to sleep after passage? Do you think the sailing community might be open to providing such an adventurer such as myself a berth while in Port. Perhaps my story sharing would provide equitable remuneration for such generosity.

5. When to go. What time of year (4 month windo) would likely have the best sea conditions? Huriccane Season?

6. Prohibited PWC use. Other than BVI (which I have gotten permission for) are there any other PWC banned areas?

7. CLEARING What paperwork will i need for all of these countries to clear other than state registration and a passport?

8. Exhaustion Tips for deling with difficult sea conditions and fatigue during crossing.

9. Dealing with Engine failure and repair options

10. any other precautions or tips?
Old 28-04-2011, 06:15   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post
Still need help in the following areas...

Need help in the following problem areas:

1. Way to have 20 gallons fuel supplied in addition to the stock 18 gallons. Jerry cans would be ideal except to difficult to add during 6-8' waves. Custom tanks have caused other PWCers problems with seals getting into the fuel pump.

Any good fuel container options?
Gas Caddy. 28 gallons with filling nozzle. Available manual pump option. I believe the handle and wheels are removable so you can strap it onto the ski. Buy at Defender Industries www.defender.com.

Old 28-04-2011, 06:18   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post
4. How to find somewhere to sleep after passage? Do you think the sailing community might be open to providing such an adventurer such as myself a berth while in Port. Perhaps my story sharing would provide equitable remuneration for such generosity.
Have you considered getting a room at a hotel?

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, jet ski, pwc, record, caribbean