Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 11:55   #136

Re: Cruiser's perspective..If Trump wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
how is it possible everyone is against trump, yet more than half of us population voted for him ?!
This is not accurate at all.
In fact Clinton got more votes than Trump
but we've got a screwed up system of the
Electoral College. A candidate can get less votes
and still win. Last i checked Clinton was ahead
250,000 votes.
In fact the last two Republican presidents
Bush in 2000 and now Trump in 2016
lost the popular vote. The last two times this happened were in 1838 and 1888
Rigged system indeed
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 12:04   #137

Excellent POV (financial speaking)
crabcake is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 12:19   #138
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Zee, I have no idea what you’re babbling about here. You’ve obviously misunderstood my comment. Of course, if your intent is to mischaracterize my comments, or simply to insult me, well I am saddened and disappointed. I took you as more intelligent than that.
it might be better if you did not ASSume how i feel or think, as you aint in my bean.

i merely asked how would one man be responsible for that much of a change singlehandedly in so little time.

asking a question is not anything but asking of that question. last i heard that was not an illegality. nor has that ever been considered as an attack, unless the laws have been changed since this morning.

Moderator edit. Removed text
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 12:20   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Over the last several months I have read several articles saying that at least the next 5 yrs will be tough on 401K's as the rates of return will be about nil, well before any election was thought about, it does seem that if anything that our rates of return will fall even more, now that I am Retiring next year, couldn't have picked a better time I guess.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 12:29   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Over the last several months I have read several articles saying that at least the next 5 yrs will be tough on 401K's as the rates of return will be about nil, well before any election was thought about, it does seem that if anything that our rates of return will fall even more, now that I am Retiring next year, couldn't have picked a better time I guess.
As long as the FED hold the artificially low rates they give to banks at the FED window, 401's and anything tied to the Interest Rate will suffer (except bank profits).

Under the FED policy, the banks borrow from the FED for next to nothing and loan it to you for big $$$ profits.

Thank Helicopter Ben for all of this.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:31   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
When was the last time that one party controlled Senate, House, and Presidency? Any one remember?
Yes. The beginning of Obamas presidency. The first 2 years the the democrats were in complete control.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 12:41   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
Yes. The beginning of Obamas presidency. The first 2 years the the democrats were in complete control.
"Starting January 2009, at the beginning of the 111th Congress, in the month that Barack Obama was inaugurated president, the House of Representatives was made up of 257 Democrats and 178 Republicans. There is no question that Democrats had total control in the House from 2009-2011"

Senate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	450px-111senate-20100720.svg.png
Views:	96
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	135657  
Old 09-11-2016, 12:42   #143

Boat: Pearson 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hillary will look good in orange.
I voted for her and resent your jibe. In this country we don't jail political opponents. Cruise to Turkey and see how that sort of winner take all divisiveness is working out.
Jim
jpendoley is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 12:45   #144

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
The whole world is watching this election. Also the Senate races are getting tight. Now 46 Democrats and 47 Republicans. When was the last time that one party controlled Senate, House, and Presidency? Any one remember?

GWB had 2003-2004.

And Obama had 2007-2008.
David Hughes is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 12:45   #145

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Threatening to lock up opponents and threatening the news media sounds more like a TIN POT DICTATOR than a patriotic American. I cant imagine that Mexican officials are going to be nicer to us when we lock up Mexicans that have over-stayed their visas. The tourist dollars that cruisers bring to Mexico pale in comparison to the money that Mexicans (both legal and illegal) that work in America send home to support families. Dont you think that building a wall will be considered a huge insult to the Mexican people? Do you think that will make cruising in Mexico better or worse? Our country has just proved that stirring up hate and anger is easy to do. The Philippines did it and now have a murderer for a President. lets hope we dont end up with that sort of backlash from Mexico. Oh well, the sun will still rise tomorrow. Grant.
We leave for Mexico next week. I hAve been avoiding such talk. I don't need fear and worry.
I just want to live a peaceable life.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:46   #146

Boat: 41' yawl

I look forward to finally know, once and for all, if tax cuts for the rich, deregulation, and defunding social programs will have the impact so many conservatives seem to think it will.

Its a little terrifying that it comes with a VP who believes you can "pray the gay away", but so be it. Tag, you're it!
chris95040 is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 12:53   #147

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Cruising was invented because of elections. Me thinks it's time for a good long cruise. Perhaps the only thing deplorable will be the weather. Come to think of it, didn't the Pilgrims take a cruise?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 13:17   #148

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
"If Trump is true to his word he will halt all US involvement in dealing with climate change. This will effectively kill all international efforts. In the short and medium term cruisers will be affected by increased climate instability (although this is already a certainty), making travel by small boat more challenging (from a weather standpoint). Insurance rates will increase and insurance-imposed restrictions will expand for cruisers. In the medium/long term climate change will expand global social instability making more places more dangerous for international cruisers."
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 13:21   #149

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Cruising was invented because of elections. Me thinks it's time for a good long cruise. Perhaps the only thing deplorable will be the weather. Come to think of it, didn't the Pilgrims take a cruise?
Oh yes! The pilgrims did take a cruise. My ancestors on both sides of the genetic tree were Mayflower pilgrims. Cruising protest-ants! Somehow I feel like I will be bringing my ancestor ideals full circle. Well, not really because they had a lot of ideas that I would never touch, but "cruising protest-ant" suits me.
Old 09-11-2016, 13:22   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post

Can I get an Amen?
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum