Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 08:23   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Cruiser's perspective..If Trump wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Sure. Keep dreaming.

Thank God, no European globalist "mess" for us. Long live the great USA.
Don't you know that the USA isn't great anymore? We have to wait for Trump to make us great again.
skipmac is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 08:28   #107

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Does this have something to do with Trump winning?

People can now disregard facts?

Upside Down Flag

from the above link:

Upside Down Flag

Flying the American flag upside down is an officially recognized signal of distress.

Here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
And burning is the proper method of disposal of a worn out flag.
Cottontop is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 08:58   #108

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478710621.610581.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	135608

I respect what our flag stands for, and I'm proud to be an American!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10   #109

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, Cuba is not on Trump's radar. When you say that your close friend's family is "trapped", what do you mean? Is there somewhere they wish to go? Maybe America?
I mean, and our friends have explained, that their family members cannot get out of Cuba regardless of destination. Moreover, because they have family living in Florida they are reportedly under constant pressure by the Castro Government.

Quote:
Contrary to the view of some folks, America is not the "catch all". America is not Europe. Thank God. We want immigrants, but we only want the best and brightest immigrants, those who love America and can INTEGRATE and contribute to our great country. We don't want immigrants who just wish to be parasites, forever sucking on the welfare system. Those folks should set sail for Europe. Angela Merkel is waiting. France and Sweden are waiting also.
Our friends came to this country in the 1970's as boat-lift refugees. They arrived in the Key's with little more than the clothes on their backs and a few soggy Pesos in their pockets. They were picked up and supported for the first few days by Cuban expats living in Miami. The father was a upholsterer by trade/training and was directed to an upholstery shop in Little Havana that couldn't find apprentices. He worked there during days and as a janitor cleaning office buildings in the evening to support his family. His wife, whom we are fortunate to know, worked as a maid in a hotel while her kids--our friends--were in school. They saved their penny's and in the late 1980's opened their own upholstery shop working for hotels/motels. The kids apprenticed under their father--the son after doing a stint in the US Army. Today they still have that little upholstery shop--they just redid the cushions in our Salon--the parents, tho' in their 80's are still working there tho' the heavy lifting is now done by their son, our close friend. They do great work but Carlos plans on closing the shop when he retires as he cannot find anyone willing to work and learn the trade to keep things going. And for what its worth, through all they continued and continue to help support their family members still "trapped" in Cuba although they will not go to visit for fear of not being able to get back out.

FWIW...

PS: And if Trump is a man of his word, which he seems to be, All of the Obamanation's "Executive Orders" will be in his sights tho' the Obamanites attempted to protect against reversals by encouraging and promoting US business entanglements with the Castos as quickly as possible after the edict.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 09:22   #110
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i feeel the issues with and about cuba are irrelevant to the running of usa as a nation.,
i also believe that may be one of the few exec orders allowed to remain on books. it does no one good to deny interaction with cuba and a capitalist will understand the value of open exchange as opposed to continued embargo, which does no one any good.
i also believe that if he is able, trump will negate the executive orders pertaining to the loss of individual rights and constitution destruction methods of obama and bush before him.
i also believe the man has more sense than has been credited him--especially by those who spewed balderdash and practiced muckraking and mudslinging as campaign tools. shameful display of corruption and defiance of laws and civil rights, bully moves practiced against an opposing candidate.
usa is a laughingstock world wide-- even the offering of a corrupt and traitorous criminal and liar was enough to make folks laugh, then presentation of trump, the orange one with a politically incorrect demeanor made it even more fun.
i am hoping that trump is able to overcome the international reputation he gained at the hands of clinton as she slandered and lied hr way thru the sham of a campaign.
unfortunately he will have to prove her as a liar before he will be able to overcome the damages done during the alleged campaign
i went thru the disinformation and deliberate misinformation i found online about both--and i saw a disgusting pattern of bullying as performed by clinton and her minions. shameful example of an alleged leader.
wikileaks is a good thing.
please read so you also understand what we the people and the electoral college prevented from running usa into oblivion. thank all that is holy that enough americans awakened to her agenda and involvements before she was voted into office.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 09:26   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

PS: And if Trump is a man of his word, which he seems to be, All of the Obamanation's "Executive Orders" will be in his sights tho' the Obamanites attempted to protect against reversals by encouraging and promoting US business entanglements with the Castos as quickly as possible after the edict.
Why wouldn't they be open to review? Executive Orders are not laws that require repeal by congress. Same situation as if Clinton was in control.

This comes across strongly as fear mongering since Trump to my knowledge hasn't indicated he was going to cut off access to Cuba.

Unfortunately, the political parties (both) have spent a lot of time, money and effort based on appeasing the Cuban expat community, particularly in S. Florida. Without that pressure, Cuba likely would have been opened back up a few decades back.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 09:28   #112

Damn Zee, I'm really beginning to like you!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36   #113

Wow. I guess when you're wrong, and it is pointed out to you (including official documentation), the thing to do is insist ever louder that you are right, and it is EVERYONE ELSE who is actually wrong.

Flying a flag upside down is a universally understood distress signal. That applies to the United States flag just as much as to any other country's flag. Burning a flag is the proper way to dispose of an American flag. I learned both of these things when I was in the Boy Scouts. I even participated in a reverent and respectful flag burning once, conducted by my Boy Scout troop in cooperation with the local American Legion group.

You can repeat until you are blue in the face how you are right and everyone else is wrong, but the plain, inescapable fact of the matter is that there are certain circumstances where both flag burning, and flying the flag upside down, are in absolutely NO WAY disrespectful.

Now go ahead. Tell me how I'm wrong, too. I need a good laugh today.
denverd0n is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 09:39   #114

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Zee:

Quit bringing intelligent thought into a forum of pissers-and-moaners.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 09:41   #115
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I'm really starting to like you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	135634  
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 09:41   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

They only way to correctly dispose of a US flag is by burning it, often the local Boy Scout troop will conduct the ceremony.

Any other burning of the flag is disrespectful.

Flying the flag inverted is a sign of extreme distress, if you are in distress it is correct to fly the flag upside down.

Flying the flag upside down for any other reason is disrespectful, and I would assume possibly illegal
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 09:44   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Wow. I guess when you're wrong, and it is pointed out to you (including official documentation), the thing to do is insist ever louder that you are right, and it is EVERYONE ELSE who is actually wrong.

Flying a flag upside down is a universally understood distress signal. That applies to the United States flag just as much as to any other country's flag. Burning a flag is the proper way to dispose of an American flag. I learned both of these things when I was in the Boy Scouts. I even participated in a reverent and respectful flag burning once, conducted by my Boy Scout troop in cooperation with the local American Legion group.

You can repeat until you are blue in the face how you are right and everyone else is wrong, but the plain, inescapable fact of the matter is that there are certain circumstances where both flag burning, and flying the flag upside down, are in absolutely NO WAY disrespectful.

Now go ahead. Tell me how I'm wrong, too. I need a good laugh today.

You're wrong. The vessel is not in distress. It is disrespectful to all those who have fought and died for your freedoms.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:48   #118
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

haysoos horhay
dayummmm we still divisive and caustic. what is done is done and god bless america
it is still the land of the free.
the braves were annihilated and didnot make it to the playoffs
ok so now what---
. i think we all should stop worrying over things we cannot do anything about and get back into our selfish lil holes in the wall and live life.
we have ensured there is going to still be an election in usa--the termination of the alleged democratic process has yet to occur. we woke up still free and not breathing desert sand or missile exhaust.
we the people DID verbalize the need for change from career politicians and voted out that option. good thing. it is way past time to change the corrupt american legislative and executive ways.
flying flag upside down means you need immediate intervention. that you are unable to handle your present situation, and will die as a result.
crying wolf does nothing for you.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 10:12   #119

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
It isn't just that he won but he beat her soundly.
Quote:
America made the right choice. The majority spoke, and loudly.
Sorry but you are misinformed. The uneducated spoke loudly (check the stats). And the majority were ignored. Hillary won the popular vote.by about 240,000 votes.

If you don't think this has anything to do with the 30's a history lesson is in order. Blind patriotism, new nationalizsm, purity laws, takeover of the media, comdeming a population of people based on race and religion, goons beating up others that don't agree, imprisoning the opposition. These are not new concepts of the 21st century. Do some research in some real books.

Meanwhile, I am planning on getting my boat ready earlier rather than later and set off to more peaceful surroundings.
hsi88 is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 10:36   #120

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
The uneducated spoke loudly (check the stats). And the majority were ignored. Hillary won the popular vote.by about 240,000 votes.

Hard to consider approx. .2% statistically significant given a total of approx. 121 million votes.

I suspect those who "spoke" -- for both sides -- consisted of several different sub-categories:
- the seriously irritated at politics as usual (p***** off)
- single issue voters (pro-life/choice, 2nd Amendment, glass ceiling, etc.)
- the seriously-irritated at the other candidate (personally)
- the seriously-irritated at the other candidate's proposed policies (or lack thereof)
- voters who always support "their" party, no matter what -- 'cause that's the way Daddy voted, and Grandaddy before him, and so forth (no disrespect to elders intended)
- etc.

Plus voters focused on a few other hot-button issues: immigration, refugees, economics (especially taxes) in general and job in particular... with some expectation that one candidate or the other has offered (or not) a slightly better plan.

Plus probably a few who actually voted FOR a candidate.

I'm not seeing much that would cause me to suspect any significant impact on cruising, in the short term...

Doesn't mean the Gummint can't willfully screw that up, going forward...

-Chris

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum