Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 05:41   #61

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Any Other SCUBA Divers on the Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi303 View Post
PADI Rescue diver...

Haven't dived for a few years now tho, up in the mountains of the south island with no boat and in the middle of china is a bit more problematic to go diving than when living in Hamilton closer to the Bay of Plenty and Coromandel. The southern waters are too cold for my northern wetsuit, Or I'm just a pussy wimp who needs to harden up :P

Gee, that sounds funny to those of us in Right Side Up Lands.

I just paid < $100 for a 50' hose with regulator fittings. That amounts to one bottom cleaning by the younger studs. YMMV. Tank lives in a locker below.

Custom LP Regulator Hose 3/8
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 14:26   #62

Boat: Island Packet 35
Used to be a Divemaster and Instructor through PADI (96145). Two dives per day for four months on Kadavu, Fiji--those were the days. Haven't blown any bubbles for a long time, but will probably get back into it a bit since my son is about the right age and we'll be in the keys next winter.
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39   #63

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
The sport numbers are more conservative now. Since I have over 30 years experience & over 600 dives with no bad bottom-time-related experience, I still dive on the same Navy tables that I have always used.
The Navy tables were determined by sending able bodied young sailors down for ever increasing nitrogen loads. When one or two came up bent they marked that depth duration as a no-deco limit. Not a great method for making tables for us over 50 guys in not such great shape. Neither are they that good for women either. Modern tables and integrating computers have made diving much safer since the days of Navy tables and horse collar vests.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:06   #64

Boat: PETERSON 44
Read the terrible hours . Nice tributes to Momsen . The guy was a early pioneer in diving. Maybe I can my kids into scuba gear in a few years
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20   #65

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Any Other SCUBA Divers on the Forum?

My wife and I trained in Queensland, with an instructor who was Japanese. His accent was very thick, it was often difficult to understand what he was saying.

But, the moment we submerged, his incredible body language took over, and he was able to convey the most amazing range of concepts and instructions under water. He should have been on the stage.

Interestingly, I am not sure if this is normal, but his name and instructor number are included on my licence. I never noticed it till now.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33   #66

Boat: Catalina 27 std rig

Instructor was Bill Waters- PADI#5039. Wife at the time ('76) couldn't swim but got certified along with me. We were the only pair that returned to the boat, had to search for the others down current. All recovered OK. Wife had a sinus burst at 60' while buddy breathing on my regulator. Freaked me out for a bit but training was good and we got her on her own air and surfaced 10' in front of the boat. Blood in water is not good in the Keys. Just do own bottom cleaning and zinc/prop replacement now. Puget Sound too damn cold for any length of time with my old wetsuit.
Eclipsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 13:41   #67

Boat: Valiant 42
+1 on Puget Sound too cold.

Your wife's experience and many similar episodes are why buddy breathing is no longer taught nor is it recommended by most major training organizations.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 14:13   #68

a Good drysuit is no longer cost prohibitive. yes its more expensive then a wetsuit but not too bad and the puget sound has a lost of great dives and over to the hood canal a bunch of other good ones.

scuba gear is one of the reasons im shying away from a smaller boat I know it doesnt take up very much space but on a 31' sailboat there isnt that extra room to even decide what hobbie gets the gear to go..

I just got certified last spring and am doing my deep dive cert in a couple weeks love it Im thinking I might spend a lot of time choosing cruising destinations by good scuba sites and air available close.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 12:20   #69

I am NAUI,PADI,YMCA and NASDS certified.Trained by a navy seal in 1973.He taught me everything he knew in a 4 month long course.Dives down to 180 feet,hard hat and scuba.All in hawaii on oahu.I started out with a double hose reg.Still have it and use it.I am in the shipwreck treasure biz.I work the 1715 fleet off the east coast of florida.
Old 14-02-2016, 13:23   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
My wife and I trained in Queensland, with an instructor who was Japanese. His accent was very thick, it was often difficult to understand what he was saying.

But, the moment we submerged, his incredible body language took over, and he was able to convey the most amazing range of concepts and instructions under water. He should have been on the stage.

Interestingly, I am not sure if this is normal, but his name and instructor number are included on my licence. I never noticed it till now.

Matt
Same with our license. At a first glance it actually looks like my instructor's license!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 15:58   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
I am NAUI,PADI,YMCA and NASDS certified.Trained by a navy seal in 1973.He taught me everything he knew in a 4 month long course.Dives down to 180 feet,hard hat and scuba.All in hawaii on oahu.I started out with a double hose reg.Still have it and use it.I am in the shipwreck treasure biz.I work the 1715 fleet off the east coast of florida.
My friend Andy M. does the same thing and is from the south east coast of Florida..He was with Mel when they recovered the Atocha..I met and worked with him and Duncan while working on the PILAR wreck on the south coast of Guam .. Still have a ballast stone that was recovered..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote