Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2021, 07:21   #1321

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
it is not a real job, not a career whatsoever.
While it might not seem a real job to you, there are plenty of people out there who’ve turned sailing / exploring / travelling into a full-time job or career. Distant Shores are a couple who’ve been making sailing videos since CD (maybe even VHS), Bear Grylls was doing small time expedition vids before hitting the big time, plenty of skateboarders and surfers were making grainy trick videos before hitting it big with Red Bull, etc etc

So just because these YouTubers aren’t grinding it out in some BS 9-5 office job doesn’t mean what they do isn’t a “real job”.... it’s their version of work and good on them for having a real crack at it.

N
Old 27-01-2021, 07:29   #1322
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
doesn’t mean what they do isn’t a “real job”
lol... and u r offended with my words because....? by the way, pls bother to read my post all the way to the last word before you assume about what i believe. don't waste too much time watching tv.
Old 27-01-2021, 07:46   #1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Lol, in my son's generation Tom Scott is YouTube royalty...
Yep, that is they guy I was talking about. Funny that you knew who it was. Brilliant business model he has.

I wonder how much money he makes per one million views.

I was shocked to see how many of his videos have 2-3 million views.

Later,
Dan
Old 27-01-2021, 07:47   #1324

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
lol... and u r offended with my words because....? by the way, pls bother to read my post all the way to the last word before you assume about what i believe. don't waste too much time watching tv.
Oh there’s no offence - I was just pointing out how ridiculous and ill conceived your rather lengthy and long winded reasoning for YT “being a hobby and not a real job” is. If you bothered to read my post, I noted just a few examples of folk who’ve turned this into a “real job” and *gasp* maybe even a career....

N
Old 27-01-2021, 07:54   #1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Yeah, they were discussed about 10 pages ago. Thumbs down for contrived reason to sell their boat, launching a Kickstarter asking for money to buy a new boat, and for heavily censoring comments on their YouTube channel allowing only comments with fawning adulation.

But I agree with you on their first couple years. His work to fabricate their hard top was topnotch. But they are transitioning into a different phase of cruising that is much better funded.

In general, we are watching YouTube channels transition from folks who allow a peek into their austere lifestyle into well funded full time entertainers with brand management skills. Good for them, but it's boring to me now.

Peter
Spoilers! That's okay though haha. I'm still about a season behind. They're still in Panama fixing holes in the deck joints. I did enjoy their earlier seasons more but they haven't yet jumped the shark for me. Although I'm sure they sailed over a few. Haha I'm hilarious. I should start a channel of me making jokes in various forums and comment threads and maybe I can get sponsored for a sweet keyboard.

I was watching another channel for a bit where this young couple bought and totally destroyed a Hallberg-Rassy during their refit while ignoring everyone's advice in the comments, which I theorize they did in order to make people comment more, thus raising their profile in the algorithm.

Which is kinda like this thread. The OP must be retired by now!
Old 27-01-2021, 08:12   #1326

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
it is not a real job, not a career whatsoever. although i like the fact that some can do their own thing thanks to the technology, but their future is in the hands of the youtube management. everyday youtube finds a way to cut part of their royalties. when the gravy train reaches to the last station, they will have no way to explain their youtube years on their resume. it's already so hard to be hired as is. the good thing for youtubers is the fact that the technology advances everyday, so google itself will become obselete one day, so as youtube for being part of it, because a simple cellphone will have the juice to do everything that the google servers can do. it might take only a decade maybe, who knows. in about a decade, artificial intelligence will do the editing, and recording drones will be able to shoot much more amazing things without any piloting, very cheaply as well. so in about a decade or two, youtubers will hopefully won't have to let companies like youtube to keep the %99.99 of their advertising income as they will be independent from youtube thanks to the advancements in technology. it was, once, time of paper media, their bosses dictated what people's brains will consume. then radios came, then movie theathers showed up, after that tv channels, not too long ago, in the 90s, for a show that you watch on youtube, you needed a network and an expensive team. now internet, social media, and video sites like youtube is taking over. thanks to the technological advancements one person can do everything a big network team can. and as i predict, thanks to the technological advancements one day there will be no need for a company like youtube to do such things. today there is almost no need for cable or such any more, everbody is a reporter and movie maker. now youtube, twitter dictates what will be watched or censored and etc... as the technology advances, when the cell phones will be able to do everything that social media, youtube, and such servers can do, there will be no need for youtube or company like that to make this happen. yes, a creative and adaptable person can survive in any technological environment. although, i'd recommend the youtubers to save as much as they can while they are still young and beautiful. still a good hobby, but not a real job. a doctor, an engineer, a lawyer, like it or not, will always be valuable at the end of the day. even mother nature decided to take us all back to the stone age, there would be a need for a good doctor and a civil engineer, not a youtuber - but then after the hunting of a long day, by the campfire, some good story teller will probably volunteer to entertain the tribe.
Says the guy who doesn't watch tv or Youtube.
Old 27-01-2021, 08:24   #1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
She's Canadian (not sure which part) so that might have something to do with it.

The only thing I've noticed is the way she pronounces words like pass, mass, lass.... she pronounces it "pahss"

You should go back and watch some of their very early ones if you haven't already. The one about her $1 one dollar boat "Curlew" is great, and the ones about Aladino restoring that boat are great. He is a professional boatbuilder and he's got mad skilz.
2nd generation Canadian (her parents are Dutch) from BC. I think the over enunciation is an artifact of nerves. My "narrating" voice is quite different from my speaking voice, and generally not as fluid. Just reminds us that there are a lot of skills being shown by some of the youtube producers out there.

I have noticed a trend lately of the Youtubers referring to their video production as a job. Maya (Magic Carpet), the folks from Nahoa, the Sailing Ran guys, and of course Bobby all have recently made an effort to emphasize this fact. The folks from Sailing Fair Isle (who are ex-tv producers) even used that as a reason to be able to cross back to Italy where their boat was so they could get back to "work."

I think for most of these guys it's actually true although a lot of other channels need to take it a lot more seriously if they want to make that claim.

A lot of the dissension comes from the made-up definition of "sailing channel." It's not a real thing, and without exception everyone I have mentioned is more of a travel show than a sailing show. Sailing Atticus started out as a sailing/boat building show but quickly became a travelogue as soon as they hit the water. I totally expect even Mads from Sail Life will become formulaic as soon (if ever ) he casts off. But I don't know why people get so hung up on it, especially here on CF where we generally have our own boats to scratch that itch.
Old 27-01-2021, 08:27   #1328

Boat: Bateau FS17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
Haha I'm hilarious. I should start a channel of me making jokes in various forums and comment threads
Maybe we should join forces....

my idea was to have a secondary account called "Dad Jokes" on all the forums I frequent and use it to cherry pick quotes and respond with stupid one liners. (of course its only funny in my own 'dad' head) I figure I could get at least 6 or 7 subscribers! (my main account, my wife's, my son's, and 3 or 4 accidental clicks from some drunks clicking through accidently)

Combine that with yours and we would be in the double digits!!!!!
Old 27-01-2021, 08:30   #1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yep, that is they guy I was talking about. Funny that you knew who it was. Brilliant business model he has.

I wonder how much money he makes per one million views.

I was shocked to see how many of his videos have 2-3 million views.

Later,
Dan
As I said, my son is always sending me links. As it happened I had just been on his page and noticed the Dasani thumbnail, so I immediately knew who you were talking about
Old 27-01-2021, 08:34   #1330

Quote:
it is not a real job, not a career whatsoever.
It's absolutely a real job and it can be a career. You sound like my dad, who talked me out of audio engineering school, one of the great regrets of my life. Well, f you, Dad. I may not have gotten rich (I didn't anyway) but I would have loved my career, lived life on my own terms and been surrounded by talented, creative people instead of shoveling poop in a florescent cubicle. Besides, many people have several careers throughout their lives. It's presumptuous to decide for others what's a good life choice and what isn't. As Joni Mitchell said, 'life is for learning.' Good on all these crazy kids for chasing their dreams.
Old 27-01-2021, 08:45   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Sailing Atticus started out as a sailing/boat building show but quickly became a travelogue as soon as they hit the water.
I love that aspect of their channel; they're actually the reason I'm learning to sail. Sailing and boat building is how they get to those beautiful, interesting places and they've got me convinced I can do it too.
Old 27-01-2021, 08:48   #1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
Maybe we should join forces....

my idea was to have a secondary account called "Dad Jokes" on all the forums I frequent and use it to cherry pick quotes and respond with stupid one liners. (of course its only funny in my own 'dad' head) I figure I could get at least 6 or 7 subscribers! (my main account, my wife's, my son's, and 3 or 4 accidental clicks from some drunks clicking through accidently)

Combine that with yours and we would be in the double digits!!!!!
I would probably earn negative clicks. :'(
Old 27-01-2021, 09:24   #1333
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
“being a hobby and not a real job”
never said that. lol. sorry if i offended you. best luck to ya.
Old 27-01-2021, 09:26   #1334

Boat: Freedom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
As a Millennial I can assure you processing photos and posting on social media is not a chore - it's a part of life. If it's not on Instagram - it didnt happen. Like it or hate it, it's the norm with this generation.

Youtubing is a natural progression. Especially if you have an interesting life and content to post. For the rest it's 10 sec videos on tiktok.

For the younger folks it can also give them a sense of purpose since they haven't had a 40 year career prior to sailing. Making videos can be their career achievement.

Having a successful channel that's out there on the internet with million of viewers is not small feat. It's something you can look back and be proud of.
I am not a millennial, far from it, but agree with you completely and was about to make a similar comment.

I have seen a lot of very creative content and often been amazed at the quality of some of the material. It makes me wonder why people waste their time on these huge quarter billion dollar blockbusters when you have real people producing interesting content about their sailing, or fixing, or projects or things they do when not sailing.

Another thing which attracts me is authenticity. It isn't universal by far, but you can pick up on artifice pretty quickly and move on. I also really like the Patreon model. The folks I watch actually meet up with the Patrons and try to give a little back to them. I think that is a wonderful business model. It is surprising too because patrons are everywhere. The Canadian "Sailing Uma" couple, for example, had patrons in Norway and personally entertained them while sailing there.

With regard to careers. This can absolutely BE a career. If you have the right personality and interesting stories to tell, you could do this type of thing full time for as long as you like. I think it is fantastic and is, by no means, constrained to the sailing world.
Old 27-01-2021, 09:27   #1335
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
It's absolutely a real job and it can be a career. You sound like my dad, who talked me out of audio engineering school, one of the great regrets of my life. Well, f you, Dad. I may not have gotten rich (I didn't anyway) but I would have loved my career, lived life on my own terms and been surrounded by talented, creative people instead of shoveling poop in a florescent cubicle. Besides, many people have several careers throughout their lives. It's presumptuous to decide for others what's a good life choice and what isn't. As Joni Mitchell said, 'life is for learning.' Good on all these crazy kids for chasing their dreams.
my heart goes to you, my friend. you should've never listened to your dad. i'm sure his heart was in the right place and wanted the best for you, but i wish you had not listened to him. you know, it's never too late.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard