Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2020, 05:41   #1171

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
It is interesting why a small maker gets a big vlogger to have hull #1 (with more niggles than usual). It looks like The Wynns are getting a deal with St Francis for their new 45. I would be a bit nervous building hull #1 and a "make it or break it" new model and selling it to someone who, if they took a dislike to it, had the online presence to really affect sales like that.

Some of us that have been here for a while will remember horror stories from bad early builds.. if that was a big vlogger it could ruin the company... I'd probably just build a good boat and let the boat speak for itself.
The commercial youtubers have gotten heavy into marketing tie ins. Sometimes they are upfront but often not. I'm sure most of these deals have a contract that says they have to remain positive about the boats.

Some of them remind me of the old 1950's shows where Dad would ask Mom to get him the "Marlboros", then after lighting it and taking a puff, he would turn to the camera and say something like, "ah, Marlboros, that's one smooth cigarette" before going back to the story line.
Old 30-12-2020, 05:51   #1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchee View Post
I don't begrudge anyone who makes money on youtube. The handful of channels I watch (Atticus is/was one), I do because of high quality videos that are entertaining. I enjoy watching a good mix of sailing and boat maintenance; I care a lot less about beautiful beaches and tiki bars (not that I don't like those things, I'm just not interested in watching someone on youtube enjoying them). But regardless of what activities are portrayed, a poorly produced video is not interesting to me, and there are many of those for every decent production on youtube. And that production value is what earns the money.
I find I like a little more of a middle ground:
- You get the really bad productions where you can't hear them over the wind and the camera is pointed at the floor half the time. The whole thing is just disjointed and hard to watch.
- But a lot of the really slick high production channels move too far into marketing and it feels like a late night infomercial.
Old 30-12-2020, 06:11   #1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The commercial youtubers have gotten heavy into marketing tie ins. Sometimes they are upfront but often not. I'm sure most of these deals have a contract that says they have to remain positive about the boats.

Some of them remind me of the old 1950's shows where Dad would ask Mom to get him the "Marlboros", then after lighting it and taking a puff, he would turn to the camera and say something like, "ah, Marlboros, that's one smooth cigarette" before going back to the story line.
Probably more than that. A certain amount of airtime and a verbal mention is probably written in the contract.

La Vaga seems to be doing that for Deltavoiles Code D. In almost every episode they do a slow-mo roll out of the code D with Deltavoiles logo prominently showing. And the word code D is mentioned a lot, even sound bytes from quests, who praise the code D. It works because I want a code D now.

I actually would like to hear about their thoughts on it since they had an Asymmetric before but they never did a video or made a comparison. Riley probably doesn't want to lie to the audience but is bound by a contract to not say anything negative so a comparison or any mention of the swithc to Code D is completely left out.

Battleborn is also killing it with the social media marketing.
Old 30-12-2020, 06:25   #1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Probably more than that. A certain amount of airtime and a verbal mention is probably written in the contract.

La Vaga seems to be doing that for Deltavoiles Code D. In almost every episode they do a slow-mo roll out of the code D with Deltavoiles logo prominently showing. And the word code D is mentioned a lot, even sound bytes from quests, who praise the code D. It works because I want a code D now.

I actually would like to hear about their thoughts on it since they had an Asymmetric before but they never did a video or made a comparison. Riley probably doesn't want to lie to the audience but is bound by a contract to not say anything negative so a comparison or any mention of the swithc to Code D is completely left out.

Battleborn is also killing it with the social media marketing.
Certainly, there is more to it and the slick channels rarely do a sound unbiased comparison. I was just responding to the "risk" comment.

Battleborn seems like they hand out more free battery banks than they could possibly sell. Not only seeing them on boats but RV channels they are a dime a dozen.
Old 30-12-2020, 06:38   #1175

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

A vast majority of Americans don't DO anything. They work some brainless paperpushing job for 8 hours a day then go home and sit around consuming content. They throw away hundreds of dollars a month for cable service that has hundreds of channels of "nothing to watch". Tossing an extra $10 per month at a patreon account is nothing (times 300 million people = money). Add in the Covid lockdowns and these channels area good draw.

Remember the youtube channels where you watch a guy play a video game have 1000x more viewers than sailing youtube channels.
Old 30-12-2020, 08:46   #1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
... They throw away hundreds of dollars a month for cable service that has hundreds of channels of "nothing to watch". Tossing an extra $10 per month at a patreon account is nothing (times 300 million people = money). ...
Giving money to someone with a Youtube channel about building a boat, outfitting a boat, knot tying, cruising, welding, etc, is certainly better than cable service. Gawed, what a waste of money is pay TV.

We got rid of paid TV years ago. We charter/rent a boat for day sails and have been staying at a hotel as part of the trip. It has shocked us to see how bad paid TV has gotten. It was horrible when we finally stopped the subscription yet it has managed to get even worse. Not sure how that can happen. On a couple of trips we got lucky because one of the cable channels was showing Harry Potter movies, that we have seen a gazzilion times, but that was the best thing being shown.

Now, when we go to the charter, we take our old streaming device to allow us to watch what we want.

Later,
Dan
Old 30-12-2020, 09:44   #1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
People say that but there HAS to be more to the story otherwise many of these YT'ers wouldn't be able to afford EXPENSIVE new catamarans.

Examples....

La Vag- NEW Outremer

Ruby Rose- NEW Seawind 1370

Wynns- NEW St Francis 45

MJ- NEW catamaran build

There is another young couple whose name I forgot buying a NEW catamaran.

These are all people that have upgraded since becoming popular.

Then there is Zatara in a $750K Privilege 58 who also upgraded from a mono.

I'm surprised Delos hasn't plunked down a deposit on a 7 figure catamaran. Maybe soon.

Bottom line, these people are making HUGE $$$ to afford owning and operating these yachts. So I'm not buying the not making much money statements.
most of their money is from Patreon. La Vagabonde has 3700 patrons. Lets say average patron is $5 month (which is conservative and im sure very much on the low side) is $18500 / month on patron. They have at least 2 million views a month on YouTube. Low ball guess is 8k a month in ad money from YouTube. Thats without big corporate sponsors they have like Amazon audible. A very conservative estimate is that they make around 25k / month but its probably much more because they are the top "sailing" channel. Yes, big channels make a lot of money, never said otherwise but there are only a few of these. You need millions of views consistently on YT to really make good money. Majority of sailing channels have like 10k to 50k views per video, thats only a few $100 per month.
Old 30-12-2020, 10:15   #1178

Patreon charge per video, not per month. Minimum is $3/event (video). If Vag has 3700 Patreons and does 50-videos per year, its just a smidgeon under $1m/yr for Patreon along.

No wonder all the smiles and laughter! Heck, you can hire an editing team for that and not even bother with all the hard work of filming.

Peter
Old 30-12-2020, 10:41   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Patreon charge per video, not per month. Minimum is $3/event (video). If Vag has 3700 Patreons and does 50-videos per year, its just a smidgeon under $1m/yr for Patreon along.

No wonder all the smiles and laughter! Heck, you can hire an editing team for that and not even bother with all the hard work of filming.

Peter
not correct. As a patron you can set a maximum what you want to spend per month. majority of patron set a maximum each month to prevent content creators uploading 100 video a month and being charged for that. Does not mather how much video they post, if you set your max at $10 then its going to be $10. There is so much incorrect information being spread about patreon and YouTube ad money. There is no doubt in my mind that La Vagabonde and Delos are making a killing but what you said is factual incorrect.
https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us...my-membership-
Old 30-12-2020, 11:49   #1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegeek View Post
not correct. As a patron you can set a maximum what you want to spend per month. majority of patron set a maximum each month to prevent content creators uploading 100 video a month and being charged for that. Does not mather how much video they post, if you set your max at $10 then its going to be $10. There is so much incorrect information being spread about patreon and YouTube ad money. There is no doubt in my mind that La Vagabonde and Delos are making a killing but what you said is factual incorrect.
Freegeek - good point of clarification that the subscriber can put a stop-limit on the number of videos , but they still charge on per-video basis which is exactly what I said - no factual inaccuracies. The way the stop-limit works is the patron can limit the number of videos they will support in a month, but that may not be the same as an actual dollar amount.

For Example: La Vag has a minimum patron amount of $3/video. You can say I want to only be billed no more than 3x ($9) or 4x ($12), but you can't say $10. Point being is you are billed on a per-episode amount, not a fixed fee. There is no way to make a fixed donation and call it good, which is what I wanted to do with Panope so I sent him a PayPal donation, which is way out of character for me but I find his information compelling, relevant, and a good proxy to a Practical Sailor subscription. It has helped me make an informed decision about anchor selection.

You offered a good clarification in reminding people there is a limit a person can set. But you were a bit harsh in stating I was "factually incorrect." If anything.....

Best regards -

Peter
Old 30-12-2020, 11:58   #1181

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Freegeek - good point of clarification that the subscriber can put a stop-limit on the number of videos , but they still charge on per-video basis which is exactly what I said - no factual inaccuracies. The way the stop-limit works is the patron can limit the number of videos they will support in a month, but that may not be the same as an actual dollar amount.
\

Well that's news to me because both my two patreon contributions are per month...
Old 30-12-2020, 12:00   #1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Well that's news to me because both my two patreon contributions are per month...
Maybe something changed - read the link Freegeek sent - you can limit number of videos, but not necessarily the amount. Maybe they changed and you're mechanism was grandfathered. I don't contribute, never have, never will. I don't mind a one-time gift from time to time and would use Patreon for it if I could (PayPal is of course setup for one-time), but not an monthly annuity stream that I might forget I've added.

Peter
Old 30-12-2020, 12:03   #1183

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Maybe something changed - read the link Freegeek sent - you can limit number of videos, but not necessarily the amount:

Peter
Ah, this explains it:

Quote:
Payments process on the 1st of each month (at Midnight) in the Pacific time zone, or on an annual basis if your creator offers annual memberships. There are currently three billing options for creators to choose from and your billing schedule(s) depends on which option your creator has enabled.
https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us...ts-to-creators
Old 30-12-2020, 12:09   #1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Macblaze - Thanks for this - definitely helps the overall understanding. Good clarification. Though from what I've seen, the per-creation seems to be the most popular option, at least amongst sailing channels.

Peter
Old 30-12-2020, 12:13   #1185

If it wasn't financially feasible, i) people would not be doing it (even if they are claiming poverty) and ii) so many new people wouldn't be trying to get into the "game".

It's simple economics.

All that said, I don't partake in the viewing of said channels and I recently had someone offer to crew if we would allow him to "film for youtube". It was my great pleasure to tell them "no" on all counts.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard