Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 07:48   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Young People Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlabute View Post
To be honest, when we ask questions many of the older folks (not all) look down on us or give us the feeling we can’t possible go cruising yet and that we should all work until we’re 65 before sailing.
Yeah.. and dont it just pi$$ you off.. I got/get it a lot.. currently its sleeping while single handing.. in the past its been no radar.. Bruce anchors.. Laying ahull.. cant sail that route/crossing this time of year..
Its not your age mate.. a sailing forum is like being down at the dock or a yard..
The hiss of indrawn breath followed by the "Tsk Tsk..!!! I'd not do that.!!!" is everywhere..
I try to say what I do.. what you then choose is a judgement call.. eg: is just using wind and boat weight enough to bed in the anchor.. or should you do what the majority do and use the engine.
Good luck with the FB page.. I left last year.. to much crap and abuse.. also from what I see its full of wrinklies as well who tell you what you cannot do..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:56   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Young People Cruising

Quote:
To be honest, when we ask questions many of the older folks (not all) look down on us or give us the feeling we can’t possible go cruising yet and that we should all work until we’re 65 before sailing.
As I’m sure you know, there are dick-heads everywhere, in every community. And the further off the beaten path you want to venture, the more you’re going to encounter a conservative response. This has nothing to do with young vs old.

I applaud your efforts to get away sooner, rather than later. We’ve had many interesting discussions here on CF around this theme. Not everyone will agree with everything you suggest or say, but that’s life. And believe it or not, but most of the old farts have useful things to say.

You don’t have to agree with them, just like they don’t have to agree with you. But that’s how we all learn … by having honest discussions and by having our ideas challenged. Of course, if all you’re looking is for people to agree with you, then yes, you’ll be disappointed.
Old 18-09-2018, 08:02   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Sure if Facebook is important to you, use it.

Just realize the people you're shutting out by choosing that as the platform for your efforts are not just the older ones.

That's all I meant, fully supportive of any and all online community building, to me that is the priority, the tech details are just means to that end.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:06   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Nailed it. Wow ❤️
What do you want to achieve with this site? Gathering and discussing things specificly of interest to young folks? Don't know, sailing and drugs maybe? Best mobile internet rate in Spain?

Or is it about sailing issues for which you need actual experience? Then you need seasoned sailors to tell you that crossing the Atlantic E-W in september is stupid.

So if you want experience you need older experieced folks. If its just chatting, young people are OK.
old farts don't flock at facebook.

BTW: In sailing terms I'm young @45 :-)
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:29   #20

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Or is it about sailing issues for which you need actual experience? Then you need seasoned sailors to tell you that crossing the Atlantic E-W in september is stupid.
Tone and language are important. Some people thrive on adventure and challenge. People sail around Cape Horn, or single handed around the world. Telling them their ideas are stupid is not a productive way of communicating.

Sailing westbound across the Atlantic in September is the more difficult route and strongly not advised. If you decided to make that trip please be prepared for the conditions.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:37   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

In 2 years of full time cruising the main "problem" I've seen with "young" cruisers is if they have kids with them (anyone less than 21). The "problem" being to find enough other "young" cruisers with "kids" the same age to hang out with. Because 'kids" don't want to hang out with their parents and other old alcoholic farts ALL THE TIME!
Old 18-09-2018, 08:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Sure if Facebook is important to you, use it.

Just realize the people you're shutting out by choosing that as the platform for your efforts are not just the older ones.

That's all I meant, fully supportive of any and all online community building, to me that is the priority, the tech details are just means to that end.
I don’t do FB, not b/c I’m old (am I old according to the OP?), but b/c I value privacy. FB is creepier than the NSA, although not worse than Google. If you have no concerns about personal privacy, or think it’s a fair tradeoff, then go ahead, use FB.

But as John says, you’ll be shutting out many people by using FB. That’s not being negative, and certainly has nothing to do with age. It’s just sharing experience and knowledge with you.
Old 18-09-2018, 08:42   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Young People Cruising

I think what older people are telling you that you don’t want to hear, is to get your retirement finances squared away prior to leaving.
Some can do that at 30, some never make it.
However whether we cruise, live on a boat or not, one day most of is will become too old or infirm to work, then what’s the Plan? It’s nice to have some kind of income. Nothing sadder than watching an old person who has to go to work, You see it more and more, and old people are now in jobs that used to be kids jobs, fast food, working at a skating rink etc. it’s that or eat cat food I guess.

Young couple next to me in the Marina just sold their boat. His plan was to work for a year and a half, get enough money to go, and be a YouTube star and finance their cruising that way.
I think reality set in, talking to the girl, life aboard was just too hard, and this is living in a nice Marina with a car etc.

Regardless of your age, most don’t make it, most never leave the Marina and or give up.

However I do concede that there are issues related to age, both ways.
I’m not as physically able as I used to be, however the Wife isn’t bothering me about having kids and starting a family either

The one thing that is true about all of us when we are younger is we think we have it all figured out, that people older than us don’t understand, things are different now, it’s not the same as when they did it.
Then you mature and learn better, and possibly listen to the older people that have been there and done that before.

However I see nothing at all wrong with you reach out for people your own age, in truth hanging out with old farts isn’t nearly as entertaining as people your own age.
However maybe Facebook was the platform to launch it on ten years ago
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:45   #24

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Tone and language are important. Some people thrive on adventure and challenge. People sail around Cape Horn, or single handed around the world. Telling them their ideas are stupid is not a productive way of communicating.

Sailing westbound across the Atlantic in September is the more difficult route and strongly not advised. If you decided to make that trip please be prepared for the conditions.
Agreed, tone is important.

But whats the point? So he wants either a) no critics at all or b) a friendly tone

a) should work well at facebook, as many old salts don't use it.

b) he needs to find friendly experienced folks. Well, CF folks can be nasty at times but it doesn't get much better than that, as this is the internet.

And crossing the atlantic into the hurricane seasons is in my book stupid, at least for anyone with so little experience that he asks such a question.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:53   #25

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Agreed, tone is important.

But whats the point? So he wants either a) no critics at all or b) a friendly tone

a) should work well at facebook, as many old salts don't use it.

b) he needs to find friendly experienced folks. Well, CF folks can be nasty at times but it doesn't get much better than that, as this is the internet.

And crossing the atlantic into the hurricane seasons is in my book stupid, at least for anyone with so little experience that he asks such a question.
So then say that. Don't just say "it's stupid", give them the reason. WHY is it stupid?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:00   #26

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I turn 40 ... tomorrow (#$@&!) and the main problem I find in communicating with the seasoned crowd is their resistance to new ideas and technology. They largely come across jaded and angry with the world.

You must be hanging out with the wrong crowd. That's not my experience at all. Might have something to do with attitude.

Cheers,
Old 18-09-2018, 09:04   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

BTW - "old" cruisers like having some "young" cruisers around.. There needs to be willing people to go up masts and such
Old 18-09-2018, 09:13   #28

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Maybe this forum could stick in a category for younger boaters based on age?

While forums are sort of dead, Facebook is even more dead. I deleted mine almost a decade ago now. It stopped being fun just as soon as everyone's parents and grandparents were on it and friending/following them. ��
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:22   #29

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Welcome Tim. But I'm curious, what are these unique "discussions, questions, and problems” that only apply younger cruisers? And what do you mean by “younger”? At 51 I’m younger than most full time cruisers. Or are you talking children?
Mike, I am in my 30s, my girlfriend in her 20s. Cruising with the retiree crowd is fun and interesting, and I learn a ton from older folks with decades of experience. I often have more in common with cruising folks at any age than with non-cruisers of older generations, and have had plenty of adventures with folks twice my age in the last few years of cruising the East Coast and Bahamas.

However, it's really nice to sail up on folks my own age. We simply have more in common: interests, activities, music, etc. The younger cruisers I have met are far more likely to be fixing up their late 1970s era 32 footer than keeping the decks pristine on their Oceanis 461. It is always fun and informative to discuss how young cruisers are making it happen....sabbatical? Seasonal work? Dirtbag lifestyle, scrimping and saving? Some career I never even thought of? Also if I meet a 35 year old cruiser there is a much higher likelihood that we will cross paths again on some far flung adventure, or offer to crew for each other, than a retired couple.

And kids are (hopefully) on the horizon for us, so it is always interesting to meet and learn from parents of young children who are cruising....to see what works, and what doesn't, and what we need to think about.

That sums it up for me. It isn't anything against the older crowd, far from it, just a desire to identify a bit more closely with my peers.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagistro View Post
Mike, I am in my 30s, my girlfriend in her 20s. Cruising with the retiree crowd is fun and interesting, and I learn a ton from older folks with decades of experience. I often have more in common with cruising folks at any age than with non-cruisers of older generations, and have had plenty of adventures with folks twice my age in the last few years of cruising the East Coast and Bahamas.
Great stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagistro View Post
However, it's really nice to sail up on folks my own age. We simply have more in common: interests, activities, music, etc. The younger cruisers I have met are far more likely to be fixing up their late 1970s era 32 footer than keeping the decks pristine on their Oceanis 461. It is always fun and informative to discuss how young cruisers are making it happen....sabbatical? Seasonal work? Dirtbag lifestyle, scrimping and saving? Some career I never even thought of? Also if I meet a 35 year old cruiser there is a much higher likelihood that we will cross paths again on some far flung adventure, or offer to crew for each other, than a retired couple.
Here’s the thing. You’re talking to an old fart (still don’t know if 51 is ‘old’ by the OP’s measure) who is cruising on a late 1970s, 36’ 9” full keel cutter. My decks are far from pristine, as is all the brightwork. I and my spouse are living off a very modest pension, while doing the occasional writing/editing project. So like you, I find more in common with “dirtbag” cruisers compared to our far more affluent friends. But that doesn’t stop me (nor you, so it sounds) from enjoying most peoples’ company.

I appreciate it that age and generational experience counts for something. But as you’ve already said, cruisers of any age share far more in common than with non-cruisers.

Tags
cruising