Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 01:23   #166

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Young People Cruising

I did the Facebook thing for a few years, and remember when the whole social media thing got started, but now I don't really use any of them.
There is something to be said for being young, just like a lot of the experience that can only be gained by having been there done that.
IMHO the more experienced should teach the less experienced, usually that means the old teach the young, but not necessarily, it is my profound opinion that everyone has something they know more about than any somebody else, and it's likely to be something different for each different somebody else.
This is true in every aspect of life not just boats. I don't really get the whole I'm this so I don't want to deal with people who are this other thing. In my experience folk are just folk pretty much everywhere (haven't been anywhere or heard of anywhere where they were something else)
I try to live simply, help when I can, and learn something new every day so I can pass it on some other day. The beauty of it is we don't have to agree with each other to both be right, I like monos let's say you prefer cats, or even *audible gasp* life on land. Sure we can't agree on our choices then but it's what is right for us at that time, so how about you tell me how you made that delicious (insert food here).
I guess the point I'm trying to make is a community does better when it is made of dissimilar people.

SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:57   #167

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Harbinger View Post
I don't really get the whole I'm this so I don't want to deal with people who are this other thing. In my experience folk are just folk pretty much everywhere (haven't been anywhere or heard of anywhere where they were something else)
Some young folks think they are the greatest. They don't want to learn because the already know it all and can't stand being corrected. They just roll their eyes whenever old farts say something

How do I know? My kids are into puberty age

I know most get over this, but then I have a nephew who still behaves the same. He hasn't managed to outgrow this "know it all" phase and he is 25 now.

Facebook? I don't use facebook or any other social media thing. I don't have virtual friends, I have buddies that like a cold beer.

My kids also don't use facebook. For the kids Facebook is old tech and just for parents.

rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 11:56   #168

I think this conversation can be summed up not by young and old but those that embrace change and those that don't.

For example:
I had my dolphins (submarine warfare) literally pinned into my chest as a rite of passage. Times have changed and we don't do those types of things anymore. I don't look down on the new generation because they didn't endure senseless suffering, or believe they are less capable.

Everyone brings some skill, idea or life experience to the table. The ability to use each others strengths is what makes a community work. Tears what this whole cruising life should be.

Bubble Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising