Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 14:49   #1

Boat: still looking
Where Does a Liveaboard Live When the Boat Don't Float

so it just occurred to me to ask. when you live a boards have to haul out your boat for repairs, or new bottoms where do you stay? on the boat? motel?just from looking online it seems most marinas don't even let you work on your own boats in their yards, yet alone live on one that's on the hard. what gives?
madgunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 14:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: where does a liveaboard live when the boat don't float

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgunny View Post
so it just occurred to me to ask. when you live a boards have to haul out your boat for repairs, or new bottoms where do you stay? on the boat? motel?just from looking online it seems most marinas don't even let you work on your own boats in their yards, yet alone live on one that's on the hard. what gives?
You sail to where you can...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 15:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Where Does a Liveaboard Live When the Boat Don't Float

Funny you should ask! I'm now posting from my motel room after returning from a couple weeks in New Zealand. I had planned to have the yard put my boat back in the water before my return to Florida, but rain slowed the work and here I am Jet-lagged and stupid tired in the motel room. Our marina would allow us to stay on the boat while "on the hard", but we're spending a couple of days in the motel until "splashed".
Old 01-04-2013, 15:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I read the title and thought some poor ba$tard's boat sunk!
Old 01-04-2013, 15:38   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It depends, like many boating answers. Some yards don't care if you stay onboard, while others are very firm about nobody staying onboard. A lot of yards are sort of in-between. Their official stated policy is no living aboard, but if you are clean, neat, don't make excessive noise at night (no grinders), and maybe bring the yard manager a cold beer at closing time once in awhile, you might find they look the other way. They need the rule for the inevitable squatter who decides to turn his hauled out boat into a condo and who overstays his welcome. Sometimes I have had to stay in a motel, other times with a relative.
Old 01-04-2013, 15:40   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Many boatyards/marinas let you work on your own boat, and some but not all of them will let you live on the boat during haul-out. The "no living on boats on the hard" is aimed at preventing people from turning the yard into a trailer park of unseaworthy boats.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 16:02   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

You stay on a cruise ship.

I hear the cheap cabins are cheaper than land living when everything is added up.

Some retirees spend months at a time onboard.

Don't know if they let you do your laundry in a bucket on deck though.
Old 01-04-2013, 16:03   #8

wow, this one got alot of comments in 20 minutes. lol, must have struck a chord
captforce? where in florida are you at? as florida is where I am looking for the boat before oct..
capngeo lol. didnt mean to scare you. nothings sunk, cuz I cant sink what I dont own yet..
I'm just getting input on some questions because I am actively looking for a boat in the near future in florida with a buying!! budget of 5k so it will need work, and it'd be nice if I could live aboard for 6 months of refit time before I hit the water
Old 01-04-2013, 16:12   #9

Boat: Privilege 37

I have stayed aboard in 3 marinas while working on the boat. The marinas were in Florida (Lauderdale Marine Center), North Carolina (Jarret Bay) twice and Maryland(Long Cove Marina) twice. In Florida it was for 3 days, North Carolina was 26 days once, 4 days the next time. In Maryland, It is just for weekends while preparing the boat for the next season. All yards allowed DIY. All Marinas had showers available for those on their boats. Jarret Bay even had evening concerts (just an impromptu group playing a little blues).

I have seen both. Some folks will stay on the boats, some in hotels/motels near by. Your choice if you find an accomodating marina. The big issue is not having any plumbing. Can't use the heads very easily. Easier to just go to the marina head. Chamber pots work too for those late night, early morning emergencies.

Your refrig may or not work. If it is water cooled, it is probably problematic. Keel coolers and Air cooled still works.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 18:26   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

[QUOTE=madgunny;1200128]....................captforce? where in florida are you at? as florida is where I am looking for the boat before oct...../QUOTE]

I'm in northeast Florida right now,- on the St. Johns River. 'left Missouri when I was five & mostly in Ft. Lauderdale. We're headed for the Cheasapeake in late April, but back to Florida by Thanksgiving. Maybe we'll catch up with you this next winter,- keep us posted of your boat search!
Old 01-04-2013, 19:09   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

What you need is a buddy with a time-share condo in Mazatlan, and a dog at home. You offer to dog-sit any time he's away, and then you schedule your haul-outs to coincide with your time in your buddy's house.

I've done at least a dozen haul-outs this way. It works best when the home you're house-sitting has a hot tub.
Old 01-04-2013, 19:20   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have so many outfits down the bayou all looking for work ! most of em allow you to stay aboard if ya need to ! We don't need to but others stay aboard at most any of them cus they are all looking for the work ! just sayin sometimes it pays to go where your bizz is wanted and needed !
Old 01-04-2013, 23:01   #13

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
You stay on a cruise ship.

I hear the cheap cabins are cheaper than land living when everything is added up.

Some retirees spend months at a time onboard.

Don't know if they let you do your laundry in a bucket on deck though.
This is the truth, though not every cheap boatyard is near a Carnival cruise port. If you don't care where you go or what kind of cabin you get, cruises can be cheaper than real life.

Look for hotels on Hotwire.com for a few days, go to Craigs List or the local classified ads for a few weeks.

Remember you might be able to refurnish a dirt-cheap hotel room for less than the cost of a standard hotel - the owner might even cut your rate in exchange for a new mattress set, cheap carpet, and a good paint job.

Glad to hear your boat didn't sink!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 23:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It depends, like many boating answers. Some yards don't care if you stay onboard, while others are very firm about nobody staying onboard. A lot of yards are sort of in-between. Their official stated policy is no living aboard, but if you are clean, neat, don't make excessive noise at night (no grinders), and maybe bring the yard manager a cold beer at closing time once in awhile, you might find they look the other way. They need the rule for the inevitable squatter who decides to turn his hauled out boat into a condo and who overstays his welcome. Sometimes I have had to stay in a motel, other times with a relative.
My exact same experience.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46   #15

wow, good stuff. I was planning on heading down to Florida and grabbing a weekly rate motel, then boat viewing/shopping my way up coast. figure I can keep motel hopping my way north a week or so at a time until I find the right boat or decide there isn't one . hopefully I never make it up to new york. I just want to make sure I at least have a few ideas on locations I can get haul out( assuming desired fixer upper not already there) and a DIY yard I can live aboard while I effect whatever repairs.

Tags
liveaboard