Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:49   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
What's it Cost to Keep Your Hull Clean ?

I am working on a monthly cruising budget for cruising the east coast and would like to get feel for how often everyone has the bottom of their hull cleaned, the method (diver, haul out, etc...), and the typical cost.

I know the frequency depends on several factors, including how long you stay docked/anchored. Just wanting to get an average.

Any feedback is appreciated!
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:34   #2

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Cap,
I keep my boat in the Chesapeake and have it hauled and painted every two years. I use interlux micron extra. However I do go over the side and clean the bottom at regular intervals. probably monthly during last summer which IMHO was a very bad year for slime aqnd barnacles.
Frequiency would probably be greater the further south you go and less up in new england where the sailing season is a lot shorter and the cold water discourages growth

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:34   #3

Monthly? Just jump in the water and clean it yourself. Good excercise and you'll have more confidence seeing the undersides frequently.

For repainting you can get by doing it every ~2 years or so depending. Smaller boats with shallow draft you can lean up at low tide and knock out one side, repeat for the other. Big boats you'll probably haul them out and have someone else do it, cost is ~1200 or so depending.

You'll be switching out zincs as well. Maybe another ~10 a month on average for those.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:38   #4

Here in s. florida I pay to have the bottom scraped monthly $40 In the chesapeake good for a whole year
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I guess I'm cheap! Here's a photo of my last hull out after four years in the water.

This second photo shows some paint loss where I did more scraping and cleaning at the rudder.

I'm in the water all seasons for these four year intervals and lightly cleaning, careful not to remove or damage the anti-fouling paint, only twice a year. I'm as far north as Maine in the summers and to the Bahamas in the winters with some spring and fall time up the St. Johns River (little salinity) in North Florida. Changing environments limits growth. I use two coats of Petit Trinidad 75. I also free dive to change my shaft zinc. You can practice holding your breath and fumbling with an allan wrench,- yes confirmed I'm cheap. ...total hull maintenance on my 41' averaging $350/year. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 14:08   #6

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
I have a very similar strategy as CaptForce. Every 4 years two coats and light cleaning as needed about twice a year. I mostly dive my boat myself. I guess I am also cheap
Old 06-05-2010, 14:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
... I'm as far north as Maine in the summers and to the Bahamas in the winters with some spring and fall time up the St. Johns River (little salinity) in North Florida.
Changing environments limits growth.
I use two coats of Petit Trinidad 75. I also free dive to change my shaft zinc...
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote