Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 15:29   #196

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
You got to be a Republican, I do believe we are all saying, try to be considerate of the people around you. Especially if it's the norm for quite and tranquility, normally sometime 1900 or later till sun up. What your saying is, I have mine and can do what I want, damn all of you. You ever wonder why some of the people around you in the other boats are watching you up in your rigging trying to find out where that cotter pin and nut come from that you found at your mast base. You never did find where it came from, no doubt from a goody box on one of the others boats.
So you must be a democrat. I believe your candidate is a pedophile. Catch my drift? Lets not get political with this. Its a testy situation at best. To run or not to run that is the question. Do onto others as long as the Admiral isn't complaining that its to hot. Then you should move away from others if you need to. I prefer some space anyways.
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 16:00   #197

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ok, now that we've established that portable gas generators are either a time bomb waiting to happen, or as safe as the best installed diesel genset ... can we please get back to arguiing about whether your mother would think it is polite to use them in a quiet anchorage.
Well, if your mother was IRISH, we already know what she'd say!

Hey, if some aren't up for basic civility, then just plain ol' reasonableness would likely suffice. Gheez!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 17:51   #198

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
That is commonly called an "edison plug". They are not legal and only a "hack" to prevent tripping the ground fault protector with some appliances that have a built-in ground fault.

Hmmmm, I googled "edison plug" and found the following:

Edison Plug: An ordinary household electrical plug in the United States. Characterized by having two flat blades and a semi-round ground pin.

If those are illegal, than every plug in my house is illegal . . . and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be attached to the millions upon millions of devices/appliances sold in the US every year. What am I missing?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 17:59   #199

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
I don't know what your program is. I'm a troll? It is widely known the world over that marine experts DO NOT recommend use of portable generators on boats.

Wasn't the Titanic designed by marine experts?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 18:56   #200
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Having struggled through this thread I have to toss in my two cents worth.

First I have a Honda EU2000 and while it's much, much quieter than a Home Depot special it is NOT quiet. I have run it in the woods and could hear it clearly 100 meters away, even through the trees and underbrush. Wasn't loud and annoying but at 30 meters it was. On the water where sound carries better I think it would be annoying at 100 meters and at night, no way.

I have also owned boats with built in, water cooled, sound shielded generators that were so quiet I had to open a hatch to confirm it was running. I've tied up at a dock (without shore power) right next to a boat that ran the generator all night and all I heard was a little splashing and didn't mind at all. Then there was the sport fisherman in West End a few years ago that had a generator that I swear sounded like an F16 taking off.

I've cruised all seasons around the Caribbean and US east coast and 99.9% of the time, except when tied up in a marina, didn't need air conditioning. A good shade cover and fans were just fine. BUT there are those occasional nights when the wind dies, it's very hot and muggy and then the bugs come out. Without air conditioning the options are leave the hatches open and get eaten alive or lock yourself in and die of a heat stroke. On a night like that I would kill for air conditioning. I would gladly crank the noisiest machine on the planet to run the ac and if Mike O'Reilly came over to complain I would toss him overboard invite him in to cool off.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 19:25   #201

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
...On a night like that I would kill for air conditioning. I would gladly crank the noisiest machine on the planet to run the ac and if Mike O'Reilly came over to complain I would toss him overboard invite him in to cool off.
On a night like that Skip, I'm searching you generator folks out, coming over with beers and wine, and hoping you'll invite me into your AC-cooled haven .

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have also owned boats with built in, water cooled, sound shielded generators that were so quiet I had to open a hatch to confirm it was running. I've tied up at a dock (without shore power) right next to a boat that ran the generator all night and all I heard was a little splashing and didn't mind at all. Then there was the sport fisherman in West End a few years ago that had a generator that I swear sounded like an F16 taking off.
Exactly. Not all generators are created equal, much like not all wind generators are noisy banshee-beasts. This is really not about generators, or AC, or comfort, or any of that. This discussion is about being respectful and aware of your neighbours. It's about understanding that rights come with responsibilities.

There are the tiny few here who say "screw everyone, I've got it, I'm going to use it." It's heartening to read that this is the minority view. But sadly, it just takes one to ruin it for the many.
Old 14-09-2020, 03:21   #202

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcknight007 View Post
Hello All,
Here's my question? Do use a generator(for ac, charging and everything else) while on the hook? Any complainants? Just wanted to know since I just got my brand new generator. My neighbor(Capt Jack) keeps telling my that in a crowded anchorage there going to cut loose my anchor chain!! Don't want to believe it, but I guess that's why i'm asking all of you out there... Thanks again for your answers...
Yep, I am using my 6KVA generator on anchor all the time.
It's super silent and doesn't bother me.
I avoid anchoring next to others.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 04:31   #203

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

I don't post too often as I've noticed over the years of being a member on this site that the informative content that used to be posted by experienced, real sailors has devolved into posts that consistently just seem to complain about one thing or another, most of which is just so childish.
This thread for example....solution, everybody run generators if you don't have one, get one and get rid of all the green stuff.
If everyone runs gennies you won't hear your neighbours genny, burn that fossil fuel and help out the offshore oil & gas industry.
Finally, just stop with all the whinning!!!
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 06:28   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
You got to be a Republican,
Not sure how politics comes into play on the discussion. My comment was aimed at the intolerance of people who insist that running a generator is unacceptable at any time for any duration.

a few hours a day, during daylight hours is not ruining anyone's 'experience'.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator